Sabres sign Montador

Two or less

See, I don't think of him as a Spacek "replacement," but I also think it is more likely (and possibly better) that they move Tallinder and let Weber/Paetsch/Myers battle it out for the No. 6 spot ... AND use Tallinder and his salary slot to get a forward with some size ... granted that makes them young on the back end with Sekera, Butler and whoever all in the lineup ... but just being realistic, and realistically, that's the only way they get help up front and stay under their budget I think.

But if they go your way and use Tallinder's money on a defenseman, that's fine too I guess, but then the forwards are what they are today.

Good post and like the idea of doing something for the forwards that is sorely lacking

I think you missed my point. My point is if you let Spacek walk and this is simply Spacek's roster spot replacement, then Darcy has failed miserably. Spacek was the only offense the Sabres had from the blueline this year. Yes, I agree that they need to add toughness on the blueline, but that should not be instead of offense, but in addition to offense. The Montador signing works if it's in tandem with Spacek/offensive defenseman replacement and Tallinder trade. The Montador signing does not work if the Sabres are letting Spacek walk and plan to keep Tallinder for the season. By doing this, the Sabres now have zero offense from the blueline and absolutely no threat from the point on the powerplay. Adding toughness is a good thing, but doing it as a replacement to offense is not, in my opinion. I just don't see Montador providing much offense from the blueline this year. The Sabres must either re-sign Spacek or get someone to replace him.

Edit - I don't think Tyler Myers should be Spacek's offensive defenseman replacement. I don't think it's fair to put that kind of a burden/expectation on a 19 year old to be the only offensive defenseman on this team. Let him play on the third pairing and then grow into it, but I'm not a big fan of a rookie playing top pair minutes. Just my opinion.

Another great point, I agree that offensive production from the backend was sorely missing and Spacek accounted for over 30% of what they did get. They need to make sure they have that as well however there is only so far this team will go with the changes and money let's hope it addresses all the needs and does not rely on rookie promise..

We are thinking alike ... like I said in my post, I am OK with that if they use Tallinder's cash to help up front with a veteran with some size ... if the forwards are status quo (I consider Kennedy/Gerbe status quo) and they replace Tallinder and Spacek with Myers/Weber and Montador ... that may not be worse but it ain't much better ...

Yes. We still need a forward.

I think you missed my point. My point is if you let Spacek walk and this is simply Spacek's roster spot replacement, then Darcy has failed miserably. Spacek was the only offense the Sabres had from the blueline this year. Yes, I agree that they need to add toughness on the blueline, but that should not be instead of offense, but in addition to offense. The Montador signing works if it's in tandem with Spacek/offensive defenseman replacement and Tallinder trade. The Montador signing does not work if the Sabres are letting Spacek walk and plan to keep Tallinder for the season. By doing this, the Sabres now have zero offense from the blueline and absolutely no threat from the point on the powerplay. Adding toughness is a good thing, but doing it as a replacement to offense is not, in my opinion. I just don't see Montador providing much offense from the blueline this year. The Sabres must either re-sign Spacek or get someone to replace him.

Edit - I don't think Tyler Myers should be Spacek's offensive defenseman replacement. I don't think it's fair to put that kind of a burden/expectation on a 19 year old to be the only offensive defenseman on this team. Let him play on the third pairing and then grow into it, but I'm not a big fan of a rookie playing top pair minutes. Just my opinion.

Good post, and I can't disagree, but I have a hard time seeing them bringing in another defenseman other than Myers. I'd guess they'll rely on Sekera and Myers/Tallinder as the puck-carrying dmen.

I'm remaining a pessimist and that this is a signing that replaces Spacek and that no more will be happening this offseason.

quite possible, but I do think Darcy is going to push hard to make a trade or 2.

From the Buffalo News-

More on Montador signing

Darcy Regier said at the NHL entry draft that his Buffalo Sabres team was looking for players who will compete on a daily basis. The general manager found one on the opening day of free agency.

The Sabres have signed defenseman Steve Montador to a two-year, $3.1 million contact. The 29-year-old unrestricted free agent started last season with Anaheim before being traded to Boston at the deadline. He played 78 games, recording four goals, 17 assists, a plus-17 rating and 143 penalty minutes. Montador added one goal, two assists, a plus-5 rating and 18 penalty minutes in 11 playoff games.

"He?s a solid, character individual who comes to play every night," Montador?s agent, Steve Kasper, said by phone. "He was looking to go to a place that has the same type of reputation as a team, competes hard, and Buffalo is a hockey city. He couldn?t be happier."

Montador, who was undrafted, is a seven-year veteran who has also played for Calgary and Florida. The 6-foot, 211-pounder has 18 goals, 50 assists and 604 penalty minutes in 368 career games.

"He?s a gritty individual who at the end of the night, good or bad, you can always know he gave it everything he had," Kasper said. "I think that?s a real credit to him, and I think he?ll fit in well with the Sabres."

link- http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2009/0...or-signing.html

They are all good, even above average, but no outstanding talent there.

Can't disagree, but we aren't adding an elite defenseman from outside the organization anytime soon. If we can add a good forward or 2 and get stronger play this year out of 2 or 3 holdovers...

If Myers is ready that gives you a Righty on every pairing. That would be great.

How many games would you like to see out of Myers if he stays? Obviously we'd all want 82+, but what's the absolute minimum you could live with? I'm in the process of trying to see how I would feel about some type of platoon system where he gets 50-60 games.

And his agent Steve Kasper... the former Bruin?

Montador: 143 PIM, 34 minors, 13 majors. Fights Rivet who has 125 PIM, 29 minor, 5 majors.

I think Miller has spoken. Gomez here we come.

as i said elsewhere.. we'll six shots a year at ol' Gomer.. i just hope someone steps up to it

i don't even mind waiting two years to see Kassian waste that sonofabeech

How many games would you like to see out of Myers if he stays? Obviously we'd all want 82+, but what's the absolute minimum you could live with? I'm in the process of trying to see how I would feel about some type of platoon system where he gets 50-60 games.

And his agent Steve Kasper... the former Bruin?

I didn't put that together...the Boston checking midget!

I continue to have a beef with the tenor of Vogl's writing.

"Darcy Regier said at the NHL entry draft that his Buffalo Sabres team was looking for players who will compete on a daily basis. The general manager found one on the opening day of free agency."

How about: "Darcy Regier said at the NHL entry draft that his Buffalo Sabres team was looking for players who will compete on a daily basis. STEVE MONTADOR'S AGENT THINKS the general manager found one on the opening day of free agency."

Vogl is coming off as a mouthpiece.

"Darcy Regier said at the NHL entry draft that his Buffalo Sabres team was looking for players who will compete on a daily basis. The general manager found one on the opening day of free agency."

How about: "Darcy Regier said at the NHL entry draft that his Buffalo Sabres team was looking for players who will compete on a daily basis. STEVE MONTADOR'S AGENT THINKS the general manager found one on the opening day of free agency."

Isn't that pretty much all you can expect when they want to get the story posted immediately? Any commentary is going to have to wait a day.

Vogl the jock-sniffer:

"I love being on the water. Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller also does and photographs lake scenes often. He said it's because of our astrological Cancer sign, which is a crab. His birthday is July 17, and mine is July 9 -- just in case you wanted to buy either of us a present."

I just watched like a dozen of his fights. IMO he didn't win one. But maybe that's not the point, at least he steps up. You don't see many guy picking fights with the likes of Schenn, May, Thornton, Jannsen, McLeod, or Rivet for that matter.

Come on, if Montador does ANYTHING, he competes. It's pretty common knowledge that he does nothing GREAT, but he competes. I would hope Vogl didn't need DR or Steve Kasper to tell him that. I understand where you are going, but in this case you are being picky ... IMO ... but again, I hear ya. I guess someone has to balance out Bucky.

I like the signing, but I'm concerned about having a very green defense next year. Montador helpts, but it's not enough. If they are able to unload Tallinder (who wants him?) hopefully they can bring in someone who can replace him on the blue line. Either that or resign Spacek.

I'm not sure that either happens.

Sekera, Butler and Myers have a combined total of 155 games in the NHL. Sekera is still not fully developed, Butler played his way into the lineup last year but now opposing coaches know his game and he'll have to adjust, and Myers looks good in juniors. These guys may be the wave of the future, but I would like to see Darcy get more experience on the blue line now.

Come on, if Montador does ANYTHING, he competes. It's pretty common knowledge that he does nothing GREAT, but he competes. I would hope Vogl didn't need DR or Steve Kasper to tell him that. I understand where you are going, but in this case you are being picky ... IMO ... but again, I hear ya. I guess someone has to balance out Bucky.

Monty is a competitor..

either

he brings some grit and leadership and picks people up around him and the whole teams fights as one

or

he gets bored with trying to pick people up around him and loses interest and at which point he's just another mediocre Sabre

which will it be?

Isn't that pretty much all you can expect when they want to get the story posted immediately? Any commentary is going to have to wait a day.

Opining that Montador competes on a "daily basis" is commentary.

Vogl the jock-sniffer:

a mouthpiece-jock-sniffer ... i do not like the image that conjurs. and i agree wholeheartedly with those assessments, at least as of late.

But maybe that's not the point, at least he steps up.

as x said: absolutely.

e.g., from what i could gather with the jannsen [sic?] fight, montador was fighting up a weight class in order to answer the bell for an injured parros -- that's a good man, there.

Archived