Sabres sign Montador

Two or less

Are you really?

No. Forty second mark...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlTE5j7aEf0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlTE5j7aEf0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

On the other Montador thread, this is being interpreted as a Spacek replacement. I don't see this signing this way at all, and I hope it's not the case. Spacek brings significantly more offense to the table than Montador, and if Spacek is gone and or no one else comes in to replace him, this is a horrible signing in my opinion.

Bingo... Totally agree, but I think this is all we get. Spacho leaves we get Montador Darcy goes home after a hard day of work.

I don't think Tallinder is going anywhere, they are content.

Opining that Montador competes on a "daily basis" is commentary.

from the Boston Globe hockey blog -

11. The best news of the day: Montador signs with Buffalo.......What an early Xmas present!!!!!!!!!

Posted by nash July 1, 09 02:50 PM

14. Phew, no Montador in Boston next season. And how in the world did he pull down more than $1M per season. Has Buffalo's GM's brain not thawed yet?

Posted by SoCalDoubleBruin July 1, 09 02:56 PM

15. Montador was a disappointment but I did admire that he never backed down from anyone.

Posted by Bill July 1, 09 03:00 PM

16. Yes! Montador to Buff. One of the rare times when you like seeing one of your guys sign within your division.

Posted by chluke July 1, 09 03:06 PM

18. Now Lucic doesn't have to feel bad about kicking Monty's a$$ anymore.

Posted by na-na-hey-hey-goodbye July 1, 09 03:14 PM

just keeping things in perspective

11. The best news of the day: Montador signs with Buffalo.......What an early Xmas present!!!!!!!!!

14. Phew, no Montador in Boston next season. And how in the world did he pull down more than $1M per season. Has Buffalo's GM's brain not thawed yet?

15. Montador was a disappointment but I did admire that he never backed down from anyone.

16. Yes! Montador to Buff. One of the rare times when you like seeing one of your guys sign within your division.

18. Now Lucic doesn't have to feel bad about kicking Monty's a$$ anymore.

I went out for lunch shortly after the signing. A guy saw my Sabres hat and started asking about it. He was a big fan of Montador during his short stay in Boston. So those quotes don't speak for everyone. But really, fans picking a defenseman as their scapegoat? That never happens.

18. Now Lucic doesn't have to feel bad about kicking Monty's a$ anymore.

Thanks. Someone has to do it in a one-newspaper town.

I went out for lunch shortly after the signing. A guy saw my Sabres hat and started asking about it. He was a big fan of Montador during his short stay in Boston. So those quotes don't speak for everyone. But really, fans picking a defenseman as their scapegoat? That never happens.

in all honesty, i did watch a few of the Bruins games on NESN, and Monty wasn't half bad.. i'd rather we'd stuck with Wideman or even picked up Yelle.. but Monty will do

in all honesty, i did watch a few of the Bruins games on NESN, and Monty wasn't half bad.. i'd rather we'd stuck with Wideman or even picked up Yelle.. but Monty will do

What does Wideman have to do with anything? That was 5 years ago. That ship has long since sailed.

The guy had was plus-5 in 11 playoff games for Boston ... admittedly I didn't watch them all, but .... how bad could he have been?

The stay at home defenseman always ends up being the whipping boy. They don't do anything that is ever noticed by the typical fan. The only thing they'll ever see is when he gets caught flat footed and is beaten for a goal. It happens to all of them, and since it's the one play the typical fan sees, they assume it is all the player ever does.

Two words for you. Bob Boughner.

This signing is about toughness, grit and accountability. You put this signing next to drafting Kassian and hope the Sabres front office is only beginning.

very nice. We agree on this.

i really like this signing. we lack grit on defense, but montador will add some much needed grit to out back end. Plus he has some offensive skills, that could be shown in our system. now if we could trade hank tallinder, this would allow weber to join the mix of starters. Next thing i can see the sabres adding is a veteran center, saku koivu or mike peca anyone?

i really like this signing. we lack grit on defense, but montador will add some much needed grit to out back end. Plus he has some offensive skills, that could be shown in our system. now if we could trade hank tallinder, this would allow weber to join the mix of starters. Next thing i can see the sabres adding is a veteran center, saku koivu or mike peca anyone?

We already added our center.

**cough** hasbeens **cough cough** more 5'-7"s? We already have our humanitarians, no thanks

yeah i know connolly, but we need a 3rd line center who can win face offs and provide leadership, peca and koivu are both guys the sabres can get for 2-3 million. thus hecht can be traded and moore doesn't need to be resigned

I'd love to see the sabres add a top-6 forward, but I'll be very surprised if anyone takes Hecht off our hands. That's a bonehead move we're stuck with for a while.

This pick up f'n blows stiff . I am not satisfied in the least bit.

He's no Jay Boumeester, thats for sure, but he is a solid pick-up and a player the Sabres needed. Kinda like when Brad Brown was traded from Minnesota, he added spark and he quickly became a fan favorite. Or Nolan Pratt. He was signed and did a fantastic job. Guess what though, Montador is a better player. A more proven player. And is tougher then those two. I do like the comparison to Bob Boughner for Montador. The fans will love him. He's not a star by any means, but a guy who gives a good effort and will stick up for teammates and hit somebody.

I don't think Darcy is done yet, and this is a very nice start. From reading articles on this signing, it seems like he was a priority for the Sabres. Regier and Ruff called him shortly after noon. It seems like they had their sights on him and wanted him, and got it. He's not plan B or plan C. They didn't fail to sign 2-3 other dudes because they were cheap and then settled on Montador. The Sabres wanted him from the get go.

Archived