Sabres sign Montador

Two or less

I had him in Fantasy Hockey this year. After he got traded to Boston, his minutes tanked and he was a frequent-enough visitor to the press box that I figured something had to be wrong with him..

So the top six now, in no particular order:

Rivet, Montador, Tallinder, Lydman, Sekera, Butler? Hopefully, either Weber or Myers makes the group and we trade Tallinder away? Is that good enough?

That's exactly what I thought the plan might be... trade away Tallinder. But it seems like they'd be content with that, whereas another FA Dman signing definitely seems necessary. Who's out there that would fit?

Good to see that at least something is happening though!

I had him in Fantasy Hockey this year. After he got traded to Boston, his minutes tanked and he was a frequent-enough visitor to the press box that I figured something had to be wrong with him..

Rivet and him squared up....not with Boston? sometime .this winter...Montador likes to jump right in.....

usually gets his ass kicked, but he jumps right in.

On the other Montador thread, this is being interpreted as a Spacek replacement. I don't see this signing this way at all, and I hope it's not the case. Spacek brings significantly more offense to the table than Montador, and if Spacek is gone and or no one else comes in to replace him, this is a horrible signing in my opinion. I think the Montador signing only works if Tallinder is traded and either Spacek is re-signed or another offensive defenseman like Leopold, Koistinen, Morris or someone else is acquired.

On the other Montador thread, this is being interpreted as a Spacek replacement. I don't see this signing this way at all, and I hope it's not the case. Spacek brings significantly more offense to the table than Montador, and if Spacek is gone and or no one else comes in to replace him, this is a horrible signing in my opinion. I think the Montador signing only works if Tallinder is traded and either Spacek is re-signed or another offensive defenseman like Leopold, Koistinen, Morris or someone else is acquired.

Great point. I have to agree.

I like this signing.

Now, go do more of this.

Agreed on the signing. Good move. Now they don't need to get greedy but Buffalo really has to add 2 quality forwards preferably at RW and C. Someone that can add alot of energy and finish.

Can they please drop Peters, Tally, Max & Hecht?? Time to go!

No. this adds some toughness and a right handed shot. This is some weight in the back for Miller, but

Montador usually has a safe pass out. He was good with Florida a few years back.

Its official. Pack it up gentlemen. Thats our big signing. Let the I love Darcy parade begin.

I love Darcy!

Well, it looks like he played top-4 minutes both for Boston (in the playoffs) and Anaheim: check it out. I can see him doing the same for the Sabres, and, more importantly, making opposing forwards pay a price in front of Miller.

I like this signing.

I'd guess Spacek is gone. I really hope he takes Tallinder with him and we get Myers (who can skate it up the ice very well) in the top 6 next year. That would give us:

Rivet-Lydman

Montador-Sekera

Butler-Myers

Extra: Paetsch/Weber

that works for me.

See, I don't think of him as a Spacek "replacement," but I also think it is more likely (and possibly better) that they move Tallinder and let Weber/Paetsch/Myers battle it out for the No. 6 spot ... AND use Tallinder and his salary slot to get a forward with some size ... granted that makes them young on the back end with Sekera, Butler and whoever all in the lineup ... but just being realistic, and realistically, that's the only way they get help up front and stay under their budget I think.

But if they go your way and use Tallinder's money on a defenseman, that's fine too I guess, but then the forwards are what they are today.

I love Darcy!

Well, it looks like he played top-4 minutes both for Boston (in the playoffs) and Anaheim: check it out. I can see him doing the same for the Sabres, and, more importantly, making opposing forwards pay a price in front of Miller.

I like this signing.

does he replace Spacek - No

is he a good gritty defenseman - Yes

do i like this signing - Yes

I'd guess Spacek is gone. I really hope he takes Tallinder with him and we get Myers (who can skate it up the ice very well) in the top 6 next year. That would give us:

Rivet-Lydman

Montador-Sekera

Butler-Myers

that works for me.

We are thinking alike ... like I said in my post, I am OK with that if they use Tallinder's cash to help up front with a veteran with some size ... if the forwards are status quo (I consider Kennedy/Gerbe status quo) and they replace Tallinder and Spacek with Myers/Weber and Montador ... that may not be worse but it ain't much better ...

No. this adds some toughness and a right handed shot. This is some weight in the back for Miller, but

Montador usually has a safe pass out. He was good with Florida a few years back.

I think you missed my point. My point is if you let Spacek walk and this is simply Spacek's roster spot replacement, then Darcy has failed miserably. Spacek was the only offense the Sabres had from the blueline this year. Yes, I agree that they need to add toughness on the blueline, but that should not be instead of offense, but in addition to offense. The Montador signing works if it's in tandem with Spacek/offensive defenseman replacement and Tallinder trade. The Montador signing does not work if the Sabres are letting Spacek walk and plan to keep Tallinder for the season. By doing this, the Sabres now have zero offense from the blueline and absolutely no threat from the point on the powerplay. Adding toughness is a good thing, but doing it as a replacement to offense is not, in my opinion. I just don't see Montador providing much offense from the blueline this year. The Sabres must either re-sign Spacek or get someone to replace him.

Edit - I don't think Tyler Myers should be Spacek's offensive defenseman replacement. I don't think it's fair to put that kind of a burden/expectation on a 19 year old to be the only offensive defenseman on this team. Let him play on the third pairing and then grow into it, but I'm not a big fan of a rookie playing top pair minutes. Just my opinion.

I'm squarely on the fence with this one... Pylon is the visual image that comes to mind. Not sure why. Haven't watched much of him.. Just a feeling..

He's sound.

The nice thing he has a nice little shot that's pretty accurate.

When you have a tip artist like Vanek....that can help.

I wouldn't want to see him pinching much but can join the play.

I would liken him to a Mike Commador but not as big....you can't ignore him because he can get the righty off pretty quickly.

Rivet-Lydman<-----way too slow to be the top d-pair.

Montador-Sekera

Butler-Myers

that works for me.

They are all good, even above average, but no outstanding talent there.

Oh, my mistake. Yeah, I agree, if the Sabres use Montador as a replacement for Teppo, I'm perfectly fine with that.

yup.

unfortunately, we will not be signing another D-man unless we can move someone..

which probably means nothing else happens on the defensive front

I think Darcy will do all he can to have Myers go back to Juniors next year so he can then go to Portland the next year.

I honestly don't think so. I think Myers is as close to ready as they come. And i still think Tallinder is on the way out.

Archived