Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

anyone here interested in Sergei Zubov (Dallas, D)?

link

i saw somewhere that he's 39.. i've never really paid any attention to him playing, is he worth a shot at?

We signed Teppo at about that same age from Dallas, we may as well do it again with Zubov. He's a defensive liability sometimes, but he'd be good on the power play.

OK, at least that's something I can respond to. But don't continue to bitch-slap me with one-word insults like I'm some kind of newbie. I won't sit for it.

I've never called for LQ to be fired. I think the organization here is tainted. If it doesn't start at the top, where does it? You have an owner who lapped up the limelight during good times, then disappeared at the first drop of a hat.

The team will be sold, probably sooner than later. I'm willing to risk that the next guy is worse than OSP. "We aren't going to do any better than OSP" sounds too much like "Who's better than Ruff?" Change can't be feared. Anyway, it's just a hockey team.

As for the respective cities, I tend to think the almighty dollar rules all. I laugh whenever an athlete says he's going to consult with his family to figure out what's best for everyone. Bull. Making money is best for everyone. When you have an owner who has two and a half cents of the first nickel he ever earned, a GM who plays hardball to keep his job, a defensive coach who can't coach offensive talent... well add it all up.

I don't always have time to respond at length. Sometimes posts deserve immediate responses and they sometimes need to be pithy. But I and everyone else know that you ain't no newbie who can be summarily dissed.

Tom Webster has also been beating the drums on an upcoming sale -- in fact I think I have a wager with him on it. I don't think OSP is in any hurry to sell the team unless someone knocks his socks off with an offer, and I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

As for lapping up the limelight, yes, he went to a lot more games when the team was really good and exciting and he lived an hour away, and occasionally he gave interviews and spoke about how much fun he was having. Didn't we all have more fun during those 2 years? More to the point, even though the team isn't nearly as good, isn't he ponying up roughly double the amount in payroll as compared to when he bought the team? What else should he be doing?

You say "add it up." Add what up, exactly? A bunch of hysterical overstatements? Darcy playing hardball to keep his job? Wouldn't a GM playing hardball to keep his job have scapegoated and fired the coach (as you repeatedly do)? Darcy strikes me as a thoroughly honorable, honest guy (much more so than LQ, by the way). How exactly has Darcy been playing hardball? And how is Lindy "a defensive coach who can't coach offensive talent?" How does this jibe with the Sabres being top-5 in the NHL in scoring for 3 years in a row? Even if this assertion is true, what does this "add up" to? Ah, yes, the need to tear it all down, fire everyone and start over. The good franchises do that all the time.

The Sabres aren't the Red Wings or the Devils, but they aren't the Lightning, Thrashers, Coyotes, Kings or a bunch of other loser franchises either. They have stable ownership, quality people at GM and coach, good talent in the farm system, a good arena, a solid fan base and an economic model that works, if just barely. You don't tear that down and start over.

The Sabres aren't the Red Wings or the Devils, but they aren't the Lightning, Thrashers, Coyotes, Kings or a bunch of other loser franchises either. They have stable ownership, quality people at GM and coach, good talent in the farm system, a good arena, a solid fan base and an economic model that works, if just barely. You don't tear that down and start over.

Well, the same statement is true of the Red Wings and the Devils - they also have all those things that you mentioned....plus a couple the Sabres do not: Stanley Cup championships. If we've all decided that finishing mid-pack, turning cartwheels over making the playoffs and bowing out after one (or maybe two) series is our goal, then by all means let's steer the same course. No one wants to tear things down and start over - we just want the current front office to do something to give a Cup-starved fan base some hope. :thumbsup:

Tom Kostopoulos just got signed by the Canes for $2.75M over 3 years ($916K per)

(averaged 14:08 on ice last season for the Habs)

these are his stats:

2008-09 Montreal NHL 78 8 14 22 -1 106 121 6.61

2007-08 Montreal NHL 67 7 6 13 -3 113 98 7.14

2006-07 Los Angeles NHL 76 7 15 22 -2 73 90 7.78

2005-06 Los Angeles NHL 76 8 14 22 -8 100 74 10.81

this is Tallinder for the last few (averaged 18:25 on ice for last season)

2008-09 Buffalo NHL 66 1 11 12 -2 36 35 2.86

2007-08 Buffalo NHL 71 1 17 18 +5 48 70 1.43

2006-07 Buffalo NHL 47 4 10 14 +19 34 34 11.76

2005-06 Buffalo NHL 82 6 15 21 +10 74 79 7.59

that should give you a good idea what he should be getting paid, instead of the $3.25M he's getting this coming year.

with all of us wishing for Darcy to trade him, he'll probably end up signing Hank for another three years, with a raise to boot!

EDIT: i'm sorry, i should have checked before i posted, for some reason i thought Kostopoulos was on their 3rd defense pairing

Tom Kostopoulos just got signed by the Canes for $2.75M over 3 years ($916K per)

(averaged 14:08 on ice last season for the Habs)

these are his stats:
2008-09	Montreal	   NHL	78	8	14	22	-1	106	121	6.61
2007-08	Montreal	   NHL	67	7	6	13	-3	113	98	7.14
2006-07	Los Angeles  NHL	76	7	15	22	-2	73	90	7.78
2005-06	Los Angeles  NHL	76	8	14	22	-8	100	74	10.81

this is Tallinder for the last few (averaged 18:25 on ice for last season)
2008-09	Buffalo	NHL	66	1	11	12	-2	36	35	2.86
2007-08	Buffalo	NHL	71	1	17	18	+5	48	70	1.43
2006-07	Buffalo	NHL	47	4	10	14	+19	34	34	11.76
2005-06	Buffalo	NHL	82	6	15	21	+10	74	79	7.59

that should give you a good idea what he should be getting paid, instead of the $3.25M he's getting this coming year.

with all of us wishing for Darcy to trade him, he'll probably end up signing Hank for another three years, with a raise to boot!

The +/- doesn't tip you off to why he originally got that contract?

And how he lost all confidence after he got hurt.

More powerful than a playoff thread, more powerful than a Briere thread, able to leap small chested Hayden's in a single bound, look on the board it's the fans wanting change. 16,000 views and counting.

leap frog with Hayden? You may be on to something...

More powerful than a playoff thread, more powerful than a Briere thread, able to leap small chested Hayden's in a single bound, look on the board it's the fans wanting change. 16,000 views and counting.

Is it margarita night already?

Decent article I found if U haven't read it yet,

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/2726...-from-done.html

That?s when yours truly raised a Spock-ian/The Rock-ian eyebrow of curiosity. Because if you?re really paying attention, you know there are many large-scale transactions still waiting, begging even, to be completed.

"One of those transactions assuredly will originate from the Toronto Maple Leafs, who appear to be the opposite of the 2008-09 Tampa Bay Lightning, amassing enough NHL-caliber blueliners to staff two NHL teams, while leaving their forward unit thinner than Ryan Miller on a hunger strike."

That's funny. Also, the only mention related to the Sabres in the article.

"One of those transactions assuredly will originate from the Toronto Maple Leafs, who appear to be the opposite of the 2008-09 Tampa Bay Lightning, amassing enough NHL-caliber blueliners to staff two NHL teams, while leaving their forward unit thinner than Ryan Miller on a hunger strike."

That's funny. Also, the only mention related to the Sabres in the article.

That snippet sounds like Darcy should be making a call.

Many observers believe Leafs GM Brian Burke will trade at least one prominent member of his overstuffed defense corps ? Tomas Kaberle and/or Mike Van Ryn being the most likely candidates ? before a single skate hits the ice at Toronto?s training camp. Some of those same observers wouldn?t be at all surprised to see Burke package one of his defensemen along with a veteran forward (say, Matt Stajan or Alexei Ponikarovsky) who aren?t integral to the organization?s long-term plans.

That snippet sounds like Darcy should be making a call.

Many observers believe Leafs GM Brian Burke will trade at least one prominent member of his overstuffed defense corps – Tomas Kaberle and/or Mike Van Ryn being the most likely candidates – before a single skate hits the ice at Toronto’s training camp. Some of those same observers wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Burke package one of his defensemen along with a veteran forward (say, Matt Stajan or Alexei Ponikarovsky) who aren’t integral to the organization’s long-term plans.

The trouble with that is the market is pretty dry and there is plenty of talent out there....

Burke might be able to move a Kaberle.....but he won't get much return on the rest with the UFA's still out there....

Teams might be willing to wait for the waiver wire.

The Carolina Hurricanes re-acquired veteran defenseman Aaron Ward, a key member of the 2006 Stanley Cup championship team, from the Boston Bruins on Friday in exchange for right winger Patrick Eaves and a fourth-round pick in the 2010 Entry Draft.

The Bruins then put Eaves on waivers for the purpose of buying him out. NHL.com

So the Bruins get rid of 2.5 million in cap and acquire 1.4 mill cap to buy him out. (Plus the pick). Ends up costing them about 500grand for four years to get rid of 2 million (net).

Bruins only have just under 4 left to the cap and still haven't signed Axelsson, Kessel, or Yelle. I'd assume this is why they didn't sign Kessel yet, they didn't have space. I imagine Kessel gets signed over the weekend. Axelsson might be nice, if you get rid of Hecht. He's kind of a cheaper Hecht to begin with.

Oh, and this from the same article:

In a conference call, Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli indicated that the team might be in the market for an NHL veteran defenseman..

The Carolina Hurricanes re-acquired veteran defenseman Aaron Ward, a key member of the 2006 Stanley Cup championship team, from the Boston Bruins on Friday in exchange for right winger Patrick Eaves and a fourth-round pick in the 2010 Entry Draft.

The Bruins then put Eaves on waivers for the purpose of buying him out. NHL.com

So the Bruins get rid of 2.5 million in cap and acquire 1.4 mill cap to buy him out. (Plus the pick). Ends up costing them about 500grand for four years to get rid of 2 million (net).

Bruins only have just under 4 left to the cap and still haven't signed Axelsson, Kessel, or Yelle. I'd assume this is why they didn't sign Kessel yet, they didn't have space. I imagine Kessel gets signed over the weekend. Axelsson might be nice, if you get rid of Hecht. He's kind of a cheaper Hecht to begin with.

My guess is that an agreement has been reached with Kessel and hence the trade. It will not officially be signed until they were able to clear the cap space as Chiarelli has said he does not want to be over the cap even during the allowable period before the season begins.

Oh, and this from the same article:

In a conference call, Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli indicated that the team might be in the market for an NHL veteran defenseman..

Hey, I'll be happy to give away Tallinder. Although, he doesn't really reduce their cap unless it involves a roster player, and my guess is that it would be Kobasew they'd want to get rid of. Not a bad player, but not a player that I think will help this team all that much.

Details of buyout, including cap hits and salaries:

post-1053-1248467127_thumbjpg

What's interesting is that next year they have only a $217k cap hit, basically because the Hurricanes paid had an extra $300k (average hit - average salary that they paid) in cap hit last year. Nice little ancillary benefit.

Hey, I'll be happy to give away Tallinder. Although, he doesn't really reduce their cap unless it involves a roster player, and my guess is that it would be Kobasew they'd want to get rid of. Not a bad player, but not a player that I think will help this team all that much.

I'm thinking about going the other way with Tallinder. Trade him to a team who wants a defenseman and has a lower priced player that they would like off of their books. Then, we buy that player out. Of course, we would probably have to throw in a later-round pick.

Details of buyout, including cap hits and salaries:

post-1053-1248467127_thumbjpg

What's interesting is that next year they have only a $217k cap hit, basically because the Hurricanes paid had an extra $300k (average hit - average salary that they paid) in cap hit last year. Nice little ancillary benefit.

I'm thinking about going the other way with Tallinder. Trade him to a team who wants a defenseman and has a lower priced player that they would like off of their books. Then, we buy that player out. Of course, we would probably have to throw in a later-round pick.

You know Darcy does not "burn money." The scenario you came up with will never happen unless Darcy is getting picks or plans on keeping that player in the return end of the deal. I'm interested how this stalemate with Mancari and Stafford plays out. I think Stafford will re-sign, but I'm not so sure on Mancari. I could easily see him being used as a trade bait to up a deal involving Tallinder. We may not think much of him here, but he really hasn't much of a chance at the NHL level to really prove anything. Maybe a chance to play and he could be good.

Archived