Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

Solid move and an upgrade in every sense over Aaron Ward.

I think it's funny that everyone thought they were moving salary to make room for Kessel, but instead, they just added payroll. It should be interesting to see how that plays out. Really, I think it could come down to ever finding a taker for Marco Sturm. He's the perfect example of teams giving out way too many no trade clauses.

Edit: And just out of pure curiousity, I just looked at Morris and Montador's stats. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the teams involved, but they're shockingly similar over the last two seasons.

I think it's funny that everyone thought they were moving salary to make room for Kessel, but instead, they just added payroll. It should be interesting to see how that plays out. Really, I think it could come down to ever finding a taker for Marco Sturm. He's the perfect example of teams giving out way too many no trade clauses.

Edit: And just out of pure curiousity, I just looked at Morris and Montador's stats. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the teams involved, but they're shockingly similar over the last two seasons.

I found the Kessel thing interesting too -- seems like they must still be planning on unloading him.

As for the Montador comparison -- you're just hoping for a DeLuca explosion, aren't you?

I found the Kessel thing interesting too -- seems like they must still be planning on unloading him.

As for the Montador comparison -- you're just hoping for a DeLuca explosion, aren't you?

I've read that it might only take 4 million a year to sign Kessel. Man, in 4 years that will be a bargain.

It really makes you wonder about the money Morris got. Then again, I'm sure everyone expects him to produce much better now that he's out of the desert.

I've read that it might only take 4 million a year to sign Kessel. Man, in 4 years that will be a bargain.

Very possible. OTOH, it just seems like there's gotta be something going on with him for the Bs want to unload a young guy who can skate, score and generally has plenty of offensive skills.

What, no comments on Toronto's big addition of Wayne Primeau? I hear that Eric Rasmussen isn't far behind.

Broken foot

Sprained ankle

Shoulder injury

Hip injury

Back spasms

Upper body

Hip flexor

Groin

Back inury

Left knee surgery

Foot injury

Ankle injury

Solid pick up Mr Burke.

Oh, plus the 7 playoff goals he's scored in the NHL since 1994.

Broken foot

Sprained ankle

Shoulder injury

Hip injury

Back spasms

Upper body

Hip flexor

Groin

Back inury

Left knee surgery

Foot injury

Ankle injury

Solid pick up Mr Burke.

Oh, plus the 7 goals he's scored in the NHL since 1994.

He has 66 career goals since 1994. He's a role player with size. If he can stay healthy he will have some value. With teams like the Sabres and Sens it's safe to say the Northeast isn't the toughest or most physical division in hockey. It's clear what Burke's plan is. Time will tell when if it will result in wins. I do think it will be apparent early on this season that the Leafs are not a team you will want to see on the schedule. Teams will pay a physical price for those two points.

He has 66 career goals since 1994. He's a role player with size. If he can stay healthy he will have some value. With teams like the Sabres and Sens it's safe to say the Northeast isn't the toughest or most physical division in hockey. It's clear what Burke's plan is. Time will tell when if it will result in wins. I do think it will be apparent early on this season that the Leafs are not a team you will want to see on the schedule. Teams will pay a physical price for those two points.

perfect example of Burke and his lot making a plan, and sticking to it, even if it appears to be regressive to outsiders.. i have to give him credit for sticking by his guns.

i agree with you DeLuca, those two points will be very hard-earned, and if their young 'uns develop into skilled players we have the Broad Street Bullies redux at the ACC.

things could get very interesting in a couple of years time.

I saw that coming when they first said they were bringing him and Wilson East. If he has a solid goalie and compliments it with a few skilled players they will be a competitive team and will reshape the playing style for this division. IMHO one of the big reasons behind the drafting strategy this year for the Sabres choices not just because they already knew they were soft.

perfect example of Burke and his lot making a plan, and sticking to it, even if it appears to be regressive to outsiders.. i have to give him credit for sticking by his guns.

i agree with you DeLuca, those two points will be very hard-earned, and if their young 'uns develop into skilled players we have the Broad Street Bullies redux at the ACC.

things could get very interesting in a couple of years time.

I'm glad Burke is doing this. It's the only way to really make the east as a whole, more competitive with the west. It's better for the Sabres if our rivals get stronger, because it will force our hand eventually.

I'm glad Burke is doing this. It's the only way to really make the east as a whole, more competitive with the west. It's better for the Sabres if our rivals get stronger, because it will force our hand eventually.

Not sure how this makes the Leafs stronger? Wayne Primeau is horrible. He was a decent player years ago. However, Anton Stralman was one of the better d-men last season for Toronto. I checked out a Leafs forum after the deal because i was confused why they would deal Stralman, and their fans are very upset.

So i went to the Flames forum, and their fans are just as confused. They said TSN said Primeau had "negative trade value" and yet he gets them 2 players, one with real good upside. Flames fans on the forum i read, have NO IDEA how Sutter pulled the deal off.

Not sure how this makes the Leafs stronger? Wayne Primeau is horrible. He was a decent player years ago. However, Anton Stralman was one of the better d-men last season for Toronto. I checked out a Leafs forum after the deal because i was confused why they would deal Stralman, and their fans are very upset.

So i went to the Flames forum, and their fans are just as confused. They said TSN said Primeau had "negative trade value" and yet he gets them 2 players, one with real good upside. Flames fans on the forum i read, have NO IDEA how Sutter pulled the deal off.

I'm not exactly praising the Primeau deal so much as praising what Burke is doing big picture wise.

It's all about getting something in return for giving the Flames a bit of cap relief.

I'm not exactly praising the Primeau deal so much as praising what Burke is doing big picture wise.

Gotcha. Then in that case, i do agree with you. I do like what Burke is doing. I don't exactly think he's gotten much better so to speak, but they will be very tough to play against night in and night out. I mean, Burke is trying to bring every goon to Toronto. lol

Sharder - Flames get the better player AND cap relief. It still makes no sense to me.

Interesting ... the Lightning have bought out Prospal. He had a tough time in Tampa last year and back in 2006-07, but he also had very good seasons with Philly in 2007-08 and even in Tampa in 2005-06. He's capable of playing at left wing and center (mostly wing lately, but he used to play center.) I wonder what his post-buyout price will be.

Gotcha. Then in that case, i do agree with you. I do like what Burke is doing. I don't exactly think he's gotten much better so to speak, but they will be very tough to play against night in and night out. I mean, Burke is trying to bring every goon to Toronto. lol

Sharder - Flames get the better player AND cap relief. It still makes no sense to me.

I'm not seeing how Toronto is better. Tougher, yes. But not better.

Interesting ... the Lightning have bought out Prospal. He had a tough time in Tampa last year and back in 2006-07, but he also had very good seasons with Philly in 2007-08 and even in Tampa in 2005-06. He's capable of playing at left wing and center (mostly wing lately, but he used to play center.) I wonder what his post-buyout price will be.

Really? Somewhat surprising. I'm betting they really doubted he could keep up with their centers.

I think he'd be a great option for Buffalo on the second line as a left winger with say Connolly and Pominville or Roy and Pominville. I hope the Sabres go after him because he won't cost much because he was bought out. He'll add some scoring punch as well and can play center if necessary. If he were to sign in Buffalo, I could see the lines being:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Prospal-Connolly-Pominville

Hecht-Gaustad-Kaleta

Paille-MacArthur-Mair-Ellis

I think the top 6 improves. If he's cheap and can add scoring to this team, I think the Sabres should try and make a run at him. I think he'd be an upgrade over re-signing Moore.

Archived