The Music Thread

darksabre

Norf norf I'd a good song, just saying

Most everything Vince does is fantastic. Prima Donna and the associated short film were great additions to his growing stardom.

And he's a very intelligent guy. He commented on the woman who ranted on his video saying he doesn't believe she's racist or anything like that (many are accusing her of this) and just thinks she doesn't understand the context of the song: http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/10/vince-staples-chides-internet-for-response-to-christian-moms-norf-norf-rant-video/

Most everything Vince does is fantastic. Prima Donna and the associated short film were great additions to his growing stardom.

And he's a very intelligent guy. He commented on the woman who ranted on his video saying he doesn't believe she's racist or anything like that (many are accusing her of this) and just thinks she doesn't understand the context of the song: http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/10/vince-staples-chides-internet-for-response-to-christian-moms-norf-norf-rant-video/

Not sure what Primma Donna is honestly. I'm glad you like him,and that he's getting recognized. I don't know a lot about him, but you can tell from his lyrics that he's very smart and aware

Figured I'd continue the music discussion here (even though the Awesome thread is a great place for it, too.) 

Josie mentioned Americana there.  It's hard to have a conversation about Americana without talking about Uncle Tupelo.

Figured I'd continue the music discussion here (even though the Awesome thread is a great place for it, too.) 

Josie mentioned Americana there.  It's hard to have a conversation about Americana without talking about Uncle Tupelo.

Absolutely. No Depression is in my all time top 5 albums, Anodyne is up there as well.

Not sure what Primma Donna is honestly. I'm glad you like him,and that he's getting recognized. I don't know a lot about him, but you can tell from his lyrics that he's very smart and aware

I missed this post, but he is definitely very smart and aware.

One of my favorite songs by him is Hands Up. Came out in 2014. I'm going to link it below, but I have some scattered thoughts on the song and similar "gang rap" in general:

So many people dismiss rap because of its often violent nature. It sure sounds like it's a lot of bragging about the ability to and history of being violent, but it's not that. It's their way of giving context to the life they're forced to live growing up in rough neighborhoods. A lot of the "popped-out" rap you hear on mainstream radio stations is bragging about sex and drugs, but music like what Vince Staples (who doesn't smoke or drink) puts out is just storytelling. Vince Staples is from Long Beach which is a brutal neighborhood. He's a Crip. Self-described gang-banger.

A lot of people complain about the violent nature of the music and the "fight the police" mentality, but it's a reality they face just as the many white bands who have written lyrics discussing bringing down governmental institutions (Rage Against the Machines, for example). It's no different. They're fighting against what they believe is holding them down. He talks about police and the hood holding him down.

Prima Donna is his latest album which talks a lot about Long Beach and how he's staying true to who he was but is never going back. Music was his only way out and it's the only way a lot of people from the hood are able to tell what happens on a daily basis as they're not given a platform otherwise.

A ton of other complaints about rap come from the lingo and pronunciations, but let's be real we all loved Rock the Kashbah and had no clue what they were saying.

Even if you hate rap. Even if you can't stand it, just give this a close listen. Listen to the lyrics and take it in from the standpoint of hearing somebody out who wants you to have context about the life they've lived.

This verse is so well done. The last line gives me chills every single time.

Deangelo Lopez and Tyler Woods

Just a couple they gunned down around the hood

I guess the pigs split wigs for the greater good

'Cause I ain't seen them lock a swine up yet

At the most they reassign 'em to prevent protest

Just your color is enough to get you under arrest

Strong hand to the law got me feelin' oppressed

If you flippin', kill a fifty, then you get in a chair

Payin' taxes for some in' clowns to ride around

Whoopin' niggas , scared to man up

Handcuffs givin' niggas gashes on the wrist

I used to lift my fist to fight the power with

Older homie told me in his day the pigs was plantin' bricks

In the trunks of 's Chevrolets them traffic stops and

Raidin' homes without a warrant

Shoot him first without a warning

And they expect respect and non-violence

I refuse the right to be silent

And you have artists like Common who do the same thing as Vince (tell stories) but in a different style more pleasing to most audience but just as unsettling if you're paying any attention.

He performs "A Letter to the Free" at the White House version of Tiny Desk Concerts (I HIGHLY recommend this series, cool small setting concerts of great, natural performers). The introduction and song starts around 4:50.

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/03/496433228/common-tiny-desk-concert-at-the-white-house

Regarding how terrible Bob Dylan is, IMO

We’ll start from the back and work forward. I hate rap. The Beatles have made a substantial contribution. Bob Dylan, however, is the worst poet alive. He can maybe get one good line in a song, and the rest is gibberish. - Vonnegut, 1991

http://pitchfork.com/news/69151-kurt-vonnegut-in-1991-bob-dylan-is-the-worst-poet-alive/