Lalime not on the ice at practice

frisky

It should be noted that this is why I and few others suggested trading for Manny Legace (assuming Biron isn't an option, which is safe) or Weekes. It wasn't necessarily as an upgrade to Lalime, but as an upgrade to the backup in case he is needed. Enroth has been good for a rookie AHL goalie, but I doubt he's ready to be called on as an NHL starter. Maybe, I'll be surprised, but it's a really bad time to find out.

It should be noted that this is why I and few others suggested trading for Manny Legace (assuming Biron isn't an option, which is safe) or Weekes. It wasn't necessarily as an upgrade to Lalime, but as an upgrade to the backup in case he is needed. Enroth has been good for a rookie AHL goalie, but I doubt he's ready to be called on as an NHL starter. Maybe, I'll be surprised, but it's a really bad time to find out.

I feel like Legace would be an upgrade to Lalime - or in the worst-case scenario, equal.

Okay all you 'old timers' when was the last time the Sabres, or any team for that matter, was in a situation like this?

ECF - carolina.

See: Every Dman

No

Game 7 - Nathan Paetsch's first NHL start.

no

Jeff Jillison

no

Bingo. Any more?

count me in.

This is all solved when Sabres sign a goalie to back LaLime. Hear me DR!

Just play Enroth vs. Carolina.

Okay all you 'old timers' when was the last time the Sabres, or any team for that matter, was in a situation like this?

Not exactly the same other than real bad luck and being down to one goalie in the end but here goes;

"It was a tough season for starting goaltenders in Buffalo in 1988-89. Tom Barrasso was the number-one goalie to start the season, but he quickly became expendable and was traded to Pittsburgh in November when Daren Puppa started playing out of his mind. Puppa, however, broke his arm on January 27 in a collision at the Aud with the Montreal Canadiens' Mike McPhee and was lost for the season.

Jacques Cloutier couldn't hold on to the starting job either. "Cloutier had played virtually every important moment since the Puppa injury, and it was obvious he was running out of gas," writes Budd Bailey, author of "The History of the Buffalo Sabres."

Cloutier and his defense were both running on empty: they had allowed 38 goals-against in a span of seven games. General Manager Gerry Meehan had to make a trade for some help in goal.

On March 6, Clint Malarchuk became the embodiment of that help. Meehan traded defenseman Calle Johansson and a second-round pick in 1989 (Byron Dafoe) to the Washington Capitals for Malarchuk, defenseman Grant Ledyard and a sixth-round pick in 1991 (Brian Holzinger). Malarchuk, a fourth-round pick of the Quebec Nordiques in 1981, had become a victim of a numbers game in Washington, which had both Pete Peeters and Don Beaupre in goal.

Like traded players often do, Malarchuk made an immediate splash with his new team.

He shut out the New York Rangers in Madison Square Garden in his Sabre debut on March 8 and won three of his first five starts in goal. His goals-against average and his save percentage were equally impressive.

Clint Malarchuk had been a Buffalo Sabre for only 16 days when his life almost ended at 140 Main Street in Buffalo, New York on March 22, 1989.

Oh and to all those saying we want Biron back I say nuts to that. With CI and all the Philly games I have watched and my co-worker who is an avid Flyer fan and watches all flyers games, there's a huge reason he lost the number one to Nittimaki and it's not becuase Nittimaki is Hasek reborn, it's because Biron has sucked big time.

Lalime has more potential to play well than what I have seen Biron show this season and Philly would only be happy to have us take out their trash. In that scenario I predict with a team like the flyer's Lalime would look like Conklin has for Detroit... I say No way to that one folks.

Didn't something like this happen in 1983? They had to sign Phil Myre and he went 3-2 in five games despite a solid 4.20 GAA ... I remember him playing for the Sabres but I don't remember the circumstances, i.e. what happened to Suave and Cloutier?

I thought I remembered Craig Ramsay suiting up as goalie for a game or two in the early-mid 80s, also.

Not exactly the same other than real bad luck and being down to one goalie in the end but here goes;

"It was a tough season for starting goaltenders in Buffalo in 1988-89. Tom Barrasso was the number-one goalie to start the season, but he quickly became expendable and was traded to Pittsburgh in November when Daren Puppa started playing out of his mind. Puppa, however, broke his arm on January 27 in a collision at the Aud with the Montreal Canadiens' Mike McPhee and was lost for the season.

Jacques Cloutier couldn't hold on to the starting job either. "Cloutier had played virtually every important moment since the Puppa injury, and it was obvious he was running out of gas," writes Budd Bailey, author of "The History of the Buffalo Sabres."

Cloutier and his defense were both running on empty: they had allowed 38 goals-against in a span of seven games. General Manager Gerry Meehan had to make a trade for some help in goal.

On March 6, Clint Malarchuk became the embodiment of that help. Meehan traded defenseman Calle Johansson and a second-round pick in 1989 (Byron Dafoe) to the Washington Capitals for Malarchuk, defenseman Grant Ledyard and a sixth-round pick in 1991 (Brian Holzinger). Malarchuk, a fourth-round pick of the Quebec Nordiques in 1981, had become a victim of a numbers game in Washington, which had both Pete Peeters and Don Beaupre in goal.

Like traded players often do, Malarchuk made an immediate splash with his new team.

He shut out the New York Rangers in Madison Square Garden in his Sabre debut on March 8 and won three of his first five starts in goal. His goals-against average and his save percentage were equally impressive.

Clint Malarchuk had been a Buffalo Sabre for only 16 days when his life almost ended at 140 Main Street in Buffalo, New York on March 22, 1989.

Oh and to all those saying we want Biron back I say nuts to that. With CI and all the Philly games I have watched and my co-worker who is an avid Flyer fan and watches all flyers games, there's a huge reason he lost the number one to Nittimaki and it's not becuase Nittimaki is Hasek reborn, it's because Biron has sucked big time.

Lalime has more potential to play well than what I have seen Biron show this season and Philly would only be happy to have us take out their trash. In that scenario I predict with a team like the flyer's Lalime would look like Conklin has for Detroit... I say No way to that one folks.

So, an even swap for Max?

I thought I remembered Craig Ramsay suiting up as goalie for a game or two in the early-mid 80s, also.

Ah, Craig. I've heard great things about him. BTW, he's the Bruins defensive coach now. One of the reasons they only have 5 players with a negative plus/minus. Buffalo has 16 below zero.

I don't think St. Louis will be taking Lalime back any time soon....

Seriously.

I don't think St. Louis will be taking Lalime back any time soon....

Seriously.

:blink:

Who said anything about sending Lalime back? I was suggesting getting Legace to backup Lalime ... as in "in addition to" not "instead of". We'd probably send back some low pick or borderline prospect.

I don't want to start a panic or say the Sabres are desperate for a goalie. My caller-id reads D.Regier. :rolleyes:

Well for once, I don't think we can fault Regier on this one.

The starter getting injured, and the backup coming down with the flu is just Buffalo Sports luck, nothing he can do about that.

He's made his share of cockups, but I don't think we can fault him for not carrying three goalies with NHL experience.

Now, if just maybe some of these guys had stood up for Miller in November or last season.... Ah to think what could've been.... :thumbsup:

Well for once, I don't think we can fault Regier on this one.

The starter getting injured, and the backup coming down with the flu is just Buffalo Sports luck, nothing he can do about that.

He's made his share of cockups, but I don't think we can fault him for not carrying three goalies with NHL experience.

Now, if just maybe some of these guys had stood up for Miller in November or last season.... Ah to think what could've been.... :thumbsup:

If you don't protect your goalie, you don't deserve a healthy goalie.

Archived