GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Knightrider

Oh come on, we were definitely cup worthy in 06-07 05-06, even with a depleted defense. The team was one period away from the opportunity of steamrolling the Oilers. I still can't say for sure why we fell apart against the Sens in 07-08 06-07, but game 7 against the Canes was our chance and we blew it.

Fixed.

I think it's pretty easy to argue with this. Those two years were proof that they were not good enough to win it all. Were they a more explosive team, sure. Did they have what it takes to win the cup? It didn't happen, and I don't think without some serious updgrades in the grit department, it would have happened.

...and please leave the "if we didn't have all the injuries" garbage out of here. Part of grit and toughness is having players who don't get hurt or play through the pain.

Well, in '05-'06, I think the injuries to the D were not the type that anyone could've played through. Tallinder broke his arm, McKee was hospitalized with a life-threatening infection, Kalinin had a serious knee injury, and Teppo had a heart condition.

In '06-'07, I agree that they needed more grit and sorely missed McKee and Grier (although I think McKee was hurt most of that year for STL anyway). But the thing to have done was to bring in a few more grit guys, who are often very reasonably priced -- not allow the heart of the team to leave and start from scratch.

And I certainly don't think it's unreasonable to think that adding those 3 guys back to the current roster (and subtracting, say, Max, Hecht and Tallinder) would hugely improve this team.

It's all water under the bridge anyway, but as Tom Webster has pointed out, no one should pretend that the Sabres decided intentionally to tear it down and start over because they weren't good enough. They royally screwed it up, set the franchise back and (along with the fans) are still dealing with the fallout.

Not sure I agree that he sucks, but I am sure that he's not going anywhere in light of his 2-yr contract.

Separately: a Sabres win and a Philly loss (to Atlanta, which isn't that likely, but Atlanta did beat the Habs last night) puts us 2 pts behind them for #6 in the EC. If NJ loses also (to the Habs), we're 4 pts behind them for #5.

I'd like to see Vanek get out of his rut. He's in that make-a-fancy-pass-with-low-likelihood-of-connecting-instead-of-shooting mode that he was in the entire 1st half of last year. But he's historically fattened up his numbers against TB. I'd also like to see something out of Pommer and Hecht (although I think Hecht has been playing better the last few games).

I wouldn't mind seeing Lalime tonight, but it makes sense to play Miller in light of the upcoming break. Miller has really been in the zone lately.

He's got 10 points in the last nine games, rut? Maybe making plays but I wouldn't call it a rut or, like last year, that he's passing instead of shooting.

Power play needs to be big tonight.

Please Sabres, a win for my birthday! :thumbsup:

He's got 10 points in the last nine games, rut? Maybe making plays but I wouldn't call it a rut or, like last year, that he's passing instead of shooting.

His goal scoring has been in a little bit of a funk the past few games (obviously he did score last game.) Luckily he was getting the assists so that tempered any issue.

Happy Birthday! Don't overindulge too much!

I don't think he was saying Connolly was THE BEST scoring line center in the league ... of course they would be a far better team with a true scoring-line center, like Crosby or Savard or Thornton ... the list goes on. But they are better than they were without him.

Yup ... and even if they had signed those guys to the much-rumored deals they supposedly would have signed, it would have cost them $12-15 million total ... and they'd have had no room to deal for Rivet so they'd be even softer than they are now and we'd be worrying about Pominville getting poached as a RFA after this season ... it's ancient history, so much has happened since then ... they f'd up, let it go.

How I hate that I have to keep correcting those that profess that it was impossible or even difficult. Once again, here's how it could have been tll at least this year. In addition to having all the following players available for two more years, they would also have been able to theoretically turn Max, Ales, Jochen and Hank into some big time prospects. In addition, Briere would have had only one year left on his deal and Dumont would have been only kept if they weren't sure they wanted to extend Jason in July of 2009. Is it 20/20 hindisght, sure but it's what could have been.

Drury 5.30

Briere 5.00

Roy 4.00

Vanek 7.14

Dumont 2.90

Stafford 0.98

Gaustad 2.30

Paille 1.50

Pominville 1.03

Kaleta 0.49

Mair 0.76

MacArthur 0.75

Anyone 0.85

Spacek 3.30

Lydman 2.90

Campbell 4.80

Paetsch 0.85

Sekera 0.68

Rivet 3.50

Butler 0.85

Miller 2.67

Lalime 1.00

Happy Birthday...I turned 40 today..We share the same bday..

[/b]

How I hate that I have to keep correcting those that profess that it was impossible or even difficult. Once again, here's how it could have been tll at least this year. In addition to having all the following players available for two more years, they would also have been able to theoretically turn Max, Ales, Jochen and Hank into some big time prospects. In addition, Briere would have had only one year left on his deal and Dumont would have been only kept if they weren't sure they wanted to extend Jason in July of 2009. Is it 20/20 hindisght, sure but it's what could have been.

Drury 5.30

Briere 5.00

Roy 4.00

Vanek 7.14

Dumont 2.90

Stafford 0.98

Gaustad 2.30

Paille 1.50

Pominville 1.03

Kaleta 0.49

Mair 0.76

MacArthur 0.75

Anyone 0.85

Spacek 3.30

Lydman 2.90

Campbell 4.80

Paetsch 0.85

Sekera 0.68

Rivet 3.50

Butler 0.85

Miller 2.67

Lalime 1.00

Who is this 'Anyone' and how do we get him to sign so cheaply?

I think it's pretty easy to argue with this. Those two years were proof that they were not good enough to win it all. Were they a more explosive team, sure. Did they have what it takes to win the cup? It didn't happen, and I don't think without some serious updgrades in the grit department, it would have happened.

...and please leave the "if we didn't have all the injuries" garbage out of here. Part of grit and toughness is having players who don't get hurt or play through the pain.

Your right they werent good enough to win it all..However they should have added to their best players not subtracted them

</B>

Come on man ... I never said it was impossible ... his point was the CURRENT TEAM misses those parts ... my point was, if they had signed those guys they would NOT be the current team. Right there you illustrated my point by lifting FOUR guys off the current team and trading them away for prospects. Sure they could have fit Rivet in if they lift out those four chunks of salary. And yes, Pominville could have fit at this year's price (although I melieve it is $1.3 million, not $1.03), but he probably would not be signed to a long-term extension at this point with the CURRENT TEAM because again, they'd still be paying those four guys you traded.

I wish you were the GM, I have never argued it was not possible.

Come on man ... I never said it was impossible ... his point was the CURRENT TEAM misses those parts ... my point was, if they had signed those guys they would NOT be the current team. Right there you illustrated my point by lifting FOUR guys off the current team and trading them away for prospects. Sure they could have fit Rivet in if they lift out those four chunks of salary. And yes, Pominville could have fit at this year's price (although I melieve it is $1.3 million, not $1.03), but he probably would not be signed to a long-term extension at this point with the CURRENT TEAM because again, they'd still be paying those four guys you traded.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine when people give the FO a pass or say how that team proved it couldn't win it all. Detroit didn't win it all that uear either and didn't respond by jettisoning three of their best players and starting al over again. I have no idea what would have happened if they signed those players but I wish when TG gave his infomercial last year and tried to defend it as some sort of league mandated, cap caused decisions that someone would have called him on that

\

Cap hit 1.03, salary 1.375

Sorry for my knee-jerk reactions, but I can't stomach the thought of the Sabres going into another season with Connolly as their #2 (or #1) and Hecht backing him up at center.

No Artyukhin; he was suspended for two games.

Great news one less goon for them tonight although if that horse was available at trading deadline.. :rolleyes:

He's got 10 points in the last nine games, rut? Maybe making plays but I wouldn't call it a rut or, like last year, that he's passing instead of shooting. Agreed I like him adding that set up skill to his bag of tricks, makes him more than one dimensional

Power play needs to be big tonight.It would be nice if was just above average tonight

Happy B-day Dudette and enjoy

I feel like life is all over..Whats left to look forward to??? the 3 d's i guess..

Dentures

Depends

Daycare

:thumbsup:

Cant wait

you forgot Dementia and I forget, oh yeah who cares... Hey your only as old as you feel or in my case act, (ask my wife she has 4 kids with me being the fourth)

Happy B-day Dude.

I'm leaving for the game in 1/2 hour. I live aprox a mile from the Forum. Anybody who says Connolly is NOT elite has not watched the past few games. The guy does EXACTLY the most productive thing w/ the puck, every single time. I know all about the injuries and his salary. All that aside, he is easily our best playmaker, and thank God they finally put him w/ the only guy on the team can compliment him in Vanek. AND, I'm also happy to see Alice "I don't know how to actually pass the puck" Kotalik off that line. He and Hecht absolutely blow lately, IMHO. But the Lightning are something like 8-4 in their last 12 games, and Vinny and St Louis are both hot, so this is far from a gimme. Miller will play, as they are off for 5-6 after this. Lastly, if Lydman has ever played worse than he did against FL, I wouldn't want to see it. He was brutal...

That's just another way of saying they need to give a 60min effort which you got crap for last game. ;)

I know it doesn't seem like it but in the last ten games, the Sabres are 7-3. I'll take that every ten games. And that bodes well for the months ahead. In the middle of a long season if they can play mediocre hockey and still come away with that many wins, then if they pull it together they can really make a good push into the playoffs.

I still feel that Playoffs will depend on how Regier handles the trade deadline. Does it become a situation where Regier looks at the team and decides to let the team stay as is or does he take the opportunity to bolster the lineup.

I still feel that Playoffs will depend on how Regier handles the trade deadline. Does it become a situation where Regier looks at the team and decides to let the team stay as is or does he take the opportunity to bolster the lineup.

Couldn't agree more. If we make it with the current roster, I think they go down quick. But that's just me.

Archived