Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Game thoughts...

-Great comeback against a team that is a shell of its former self.

-When is Vanek going to realize that the half slapshot is a low percentage play in the shootout?

-I think the defensive play of Spacek and Lydman which has been above average all season has slipped in recent games.

-I thought Connolly skated a lot better last night than in any of the games he has played since returning.

-Miller was really solid in the shootout.

-The Sabres fans who were about 10 rows up at the end where the Sabres shoot twice were begging for an ass kicking with all the standing up they were doing in the 3rd period while the play was going on.

-Why does Gaustad have a monster game once ever 10 games and then disappears for the next 9. Also, why do the Sabres have to fall behind 3-0 for him to get motivated to play harder? On the other hand, the Sabres have some players who still look like they could care less even after falling behind 3-0, so I have to give Gaustad some credit.

Game thoughts...

-Why does Gaustad have a monster game once ever 10 games and then disappears for the next 9. Also, why do the Sabres have to fall behind 3-0 for him to get motivated to play harder? On the other hand, the Sabres have some players who still look like they could care less even after falling behind 3-0, so I have to give Gaustad some credit.

I think the Goose has been playing very good hockey for over a month and I think he is finally healthy........He has been back to his physical game, nice to see.

It just looks like he goes "Aw to hell with it, if nobody else is going to turn this around, I am".

I don't know, maybe there's a bit of a hierachy going on with the brat pack? We all know they don't call each other out much, but is there a pecking order as well within their ranks? I have no idea, but either way, I like Goose A LOT when he starts on one of his rampages, even if he doesn't win the fights he gets himself into.

Although I'd call last nights fight a draw more than anything.

It was very nice to see the team not give up, and although Miller didn't look as sharp as against NYR and the Wings, he was money in the shootout. Stopping 5 out of 6 is one thing, but some of those saves he made just looked ridiculously easy cause he played the shooter perfectly.

I think the Goose has been playing very good hockey for over a month and I think he is finally healthy........He has been back to his physical game, nice to see.

Let's hope his shoulder is okay after getting caught up in the glass at the end of the game, he seemed okay when talking with KS but that's gonna leave a mark.

Game thoughts...

-Great comeback against a team that is a shell of its former self.

-When is Vanek going to realize that the half slapshot is a low percentage play in the shootout?

-I think the defensive play of Spacek and Lydman which has been above average all season has slipped in recent games.

-I thought Connolly skated a lot better last night than in any of the games he has played since returning.

-Miller was really solid in the shootout.

-The Sabres fans who were about 10 rows up at the end where the Sabres shoot twice were begging for an ass kicking with all the standing up they were doing in the 3rd period while the play was going on.

Another reason I dislike going to NHL games. Everybody sits. I like standing the whole game. I feel like it shows support for the team. It's the college hockey fan in me.

I'd agree. Even in the previous two debacles hes was still playing with an edge when the Sabres were down. Maybe it's just me, but it seemd the Stars players were a little quicker getting the puck and a little more hesitant around the boards when he was on the ice. Nice to see the other team play like that. Also, was great seeing a Sabre "plant a flag" in front of the other crease, and challenge the other team to take it back. Now if the rest of the team would just play with half his intensity.....

The Goose don't take no s**t!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Roy has been playing more like Max the last few games. Every power play he skates the puck in, makes a move and then gets surrounded by three players and loses the puck. Just shoot it in like Lindy likes already!

Obviously, the shootout goal was hugh but he did actually almost lose the puck on that move.

He was scoring his goals by going to the net following up the play - the last few games he is trying to do it by himself.

As I said in an earlier post - I liked Vanek's shot but he took it a few feet too soon. You can tell he is in one of his goal scoring funks right now - hopefully he works it out sooner this time.

Anyone else think Goose's fight sparked the team to victory. At the very least, it wasn't one of those scripted goon fights between 2 guys that has nothing to do with the actual game.

I think this as well as most of the players are more afraid of him in the locker room than Ruff.

As I said in an earlier post - I liked Vanek's shot but he took it a few feet too soon. You can tell he is in one of his goal scoring funks right now - hopefully he works it out sooner this time.

I agree. He also had the game-winner on his stick in OT off a very sweet pass from TC and shot wide.

Roy has been playing more like Max the last few games. Every power play he skates the puck in, makes a move and then gets surrounded by three players and loses the puck. Just shoot it in like Lindy likes already!

He does this too much some games, last night included. The difference between what he does and what Max does is that he does it when leading a rush, so it just prevents a potential scoring chance, but his team is usually behind him, so that they can recover. Max will take the puck on the rush, go around behind the net drawing his team into the zone, skate it back to the point and then give it away, both negating the Sabres' scoring chance and creating one for the opponent.

Obviously, the shootout goal was hugh but he did actually almost lose the puck on that move.

He was scoring his goals by going to the net following up the play - the last few games he is trying to do it by himself.

I'm glad someone else said this. If you look at Roy's numbers, it's really hard to say anything negative about him, but in watching the games, he can be very frustrating to watch as he just seems to try and make too many "pretty" passes and dekes, usually involving a thirty foot backhand saucer pass. I understand that somtimes those end up being fantastic plays, but I think he should be a little more choosy and maybe take the safer play a little more often...

Ok I went to bed last night and they were down 3-1 and I wake up to see a 5-4 win. Now before I read all 12 pages of this today I have a question, is this the game where the team comes together, starts giving an effort every night and turns it around? Or do I need to get more coffee cause Im dreaming.

It was 3-0 for me. :ph34r:

I thought his "Ham Bone" comment on Robiero was the best of his Sabres tenure. If he wore the grumpy old coot role more often, I might start liking him.

By far....in fact, I don't think anything else he's ever said comes close.

It was really the perfect way to describe the play, too. Ribeiro just looked like he wanted to make the highlight reel instead of trying to win.

I'll never forget Spurrier slamming his viser when his team, number 3 ranked Florida, lost to my alma mater, numer 23 ranked Mississippi State, in the 2000/01 season. It was awesome to see him get pissed off in person! Man, I got wasted that night.

Archived