Miller: 'Pretty damn good hockey'

PASabreFan

This is burning me up. These guys should have been so pissed off last night, like we the fans were, crushed over another loss. When is someone going to trash a lockerroom? Instead one of the so-called leaders of the team seemed pleased. Have we reached the point where the Sabres are happy just to be competitive and play hard, the results be damned? Are they the Bills?

It's all about winning. Of course, this is the guy who wrote in his blog that the essence of playing goal is that "sh*t happens." A lot of sh*t happens to this guy. Maybe that mentality is what makes so many pucks have eyes on him.

At least Mair seemed to get it.

?You don?t like to see yourself give up a 2-nothing lead, and then we gave up another lead,? Sabres center Adam Mair said. ?We?ve just got to be better. We?ve got to find ways to win.

?I just think it shows a lack of focus and a lack of willingness to shut the other team out and really take control of the game. I think that?s the killer instinct we?ve been looking for, the killing instinct we need to find.?

This team is good enough to win on a regular basis. To make the playoffs. To make some noise.

When they get pissed off, maybe the killer instinct and wins will come. Accepting defeat is a sure sign your team is going nowhere.

This is burning me up. These guys should have been so pissed off last night, like we the fans were, crushed over another loss. When is someone going to trash a lockerroom? Instead one of the so-called leaders of the team seemed pleased. Have we reached the point where the Sabres are happy just to be competitive and play hard, the results be damned? Are they the Bills?

It's all about winning. Of course, this is the guy who wrote in his blog that the essence of playing goal is that "sh*t happens." A lot of sh*t happens to this guy. Maybe that mentality is what makes so many pucks have eyes on him.

?You don?t like to see yourself give up a 2-nothing lead, and then we gave up another lead,? Sabres center Adam Mair said. ?We?ve just got to be better. We?ve got to find ways to win.

?I just think it shows a lack of focus and a lack of willingness to shut the other team out and really take control of the game. I think that?s the killer instinct we?ve been looking for, the killing instinct we need to find.?

This team is good enough to win on a regular basis. To make the playoffs. To make some noise.

When they get pissed off, maybe the killer instinct and wins will come. Accepting defeat is a sure sign your team is going nowhere.

After a year and a half, maybe its time to realize they are not good enough.

Hey, if you can pretend that puck was hit above the bar, I can pretend they're good enough.

Oh my God, we're all tangled up in blue and gold.

We're screwed!

Bottom line is this team is and has been lacking at the center position since we lost Brierre and Drury last year..Those 2 contributed in key positions on the power play and penalty kill for this team..Dont waste your time telling me they arent doing it on their new teams because they were asked to do different things on this team and different roles..2 different society's if you will..I have moved on but I understand that until they are replaced by the same kind of talent we are going to see the results we have seen for the past season and a half..You cant let players in key positions go they are to hard to replace..If you let them go you better have solid plans to replace them and Connoly and Hecht at center arent the answers!!!!! Until they are replaced this team will have to have the golden horseshoe up their arse to make the playoffs..Dont even think about wining a playoff series with this team..

I know I'm repeating myself, but I really believe that (i) this team is only a couple of players from being a very good (not just good) team and (ii) without making those additions, this team isn't going anywhere this year. With the 2 guys we need (i.e. legit #1 or #2 center and another tough veteran, e.g. the 2 guys Stenbaro referenced above), we'd have won our last 2. Without them? We're going to see plenty more blown leads and moral victories.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I really believe that (i) this team is only a couple of players from being a very good (not just good) team and (ii) without making those additions, this team isn't going anywhere this year. With the 2 guys we need (i.e. legit #1 or #2 center and another tough veteran, e.g. the 2 guys Stenbaro referenced above), we'd have won our last 2. Without them? We're going to see plenty more blown leads and moral victories.

see my signature below fella.

I agree with this although I would say 3 players;

1) A true #1 or 2 center

2) A veteran winger with some grit

3) A true #1 defensemen

I think if you got one and three, some others on the roster could adequately fill two. I think we could do one and three and stay under their self imposed cap but would have to part with Jochen and Hank and let Max, Skill and Jaro walk. Ales will probably be gone because he will want more then they should pay him for what he brings. He is a value now but won't be at his new number.

I don't have a great feel that DR, LQ and TG are ready to make this much of an overhaul, however.

:wub: My hero....

Want to go to Millers fashion show together ?

1) A true #1 or 2 center

3) A true #1 defensemen

I wonder how this team would be doing if Darcy had done the following this summer:

1) Taken any offer for Max this summer. I don't care if he thinks Max is worth more than a seventh-round pick, it would have been addition by subtraction. (Saves $3 million in cap, $3.5 million is salary)

2) Trade Tallinder for picks/prospects. Even at his current contract, he's good enough that some team would have considered him an upgrade. (Saves $2.56 million in cap, $2.90 and $3.25 million for the next two years.)

3) Sign Jason Smith for 2 years, $3 million each (he received $2.6 per from Ottawa, but maybe he'd want a little more from us.)

4) Trade a 2010 second-round pick Chicago for Robert Lang. Montreal did it and chances were that our second-round pick would be higher than Montreal's (adds $4 million is cap and salary over the next two years.)

Net: Maybe a $0.5 - $1.0 million in salary (the important part) and $1.5-$2.0 million in cap (we have tons of room, so no big deal there.) Our starting roster looks like:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Lang-Pominville

MacArthur-Gaustad-Kotalik

Paille-Mair-Kaleta

Lydman-Rivet

Sekera-Smith

Spacek-Numminen

(Or one of several other combinations thereof.)

I'd say that would take care of TW's 1, 2 (the veteran part, anyway) and 3. We'd have three right-handed defensemen and a better mix of physical/finesse on the blueline. Plus, to real scoring lines. I'd be willing to guess that everything I said would have been possible.

I wonder how this team would be doing if Darcy had done the following this summer:

1) Taken any offer for Max this summer. I don't care if he thinks Max is worth more than a seventh-round pick, it would have been addition by subtraction. (Saves $3 million in cap, $3.5 million is salary)

2) Trade Tallinder for picks/prospects. Even at his current contract, he's good enough that some team would have considered him an upgrade. (Saves $2.56 million in cap, $2.90 and $3.25 million for the next two years.)

3) Sign Jason Smith for 2 years, $3 million each (he received $2.6 per from Ottawa, but maybe he'd want a little more from us.)

4) Trade a 2010 second-round pick Chicago for Robert Lang. Montreal did it and chances were that our second-round pick would be higher than Montreal's (adds $4 million is cap and salary over the next two years.)

Net: Maybe a $0.5 - $1.0 million in salary (the important part) and $1.5-$2.0 million in cap (we have tons of room, so no big deal there.) Our starting roster looks like:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Lang-Pominville

Paille-Mair-Kaleta

Lydman-Rivet

Sekera-Smith

Spacek-Numminen

I'd say that would take care of TW's 1, 2 (the veteran part, anyway) and 3. We'd have three right-handed defensemen and a better mix of physical/finesse on the blueline. Plus, to real scoring lines. I'd be willing to guess that everything I said would have been possible.

I was hoping we wouldve been in the Lang running and the Smith running this past offseason...Lang reminds me of a Brierre with a bit of an edge and Smith is a knock you down get out of my crease kinda d man...Him and Rivet wouldve been a nice addition to the toughness to our defense..

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Hecht-Lang-Pominville

Paille-Mair-Kaleta

Lydman-Rivet

Sekera-Smith

Spacek-Numminen

Totally agree. Excellent post. After last year's debacle we should have taken a couple of decisive steps just like these.

I was hoping we wouldve been in the Lang running and the Smith running this past offseason...Lang reminds me of a Brierre with a bit of an edge and Smith is a knock you down get out of my crease kinda d man...Him and Rivet wouldve been a nice addition to the toughness to our defense..

Well, Lang is a pretty different player (and body type -- he's 6'3", 216) from Briere. Otherwise, though, I agree and wanted both of these guys.

1) A true #1 or 2 center

3) A true #1 defensemen

I think if you got one and three, some others on the roster could adequately fill two. I think we could do one and three and stay under their self imposed cap but would have to part with Jochen and Hank and let Max, Skill and Jaro walk. Ales will probably be gone because he will want more then they should pay him for what he brings. He is a value now but won't be at his new number.

I don't have a great feel that DR, LQ and TG are ready to make this much of an overhaul, however.

If Darcy can parlay Hecht, Tallinder, Max, TC and Spacek into a really good center and a #1 defenseman, he should immediately be named president of the Federal Reserve Board.

Honestly I think Darcy is just playing the wait it out game. It might make more sense financially to wait till we can dump guys in free agency than to try and work trades. This coming off-season we will see a large list of UFA's and RFA's on the Sabres roster.

UFAs: Afinogenov, Connolly, Kotalik, Peters, Ellis, Spacek, Numminen

RFAs: Stafford, MacArthur, Kaleta, Mancari, Sekera

I could easily see us letting Max, Connolly, Ellis, and Numminen go. Any of the RFAs with the exception of Sekera are probably not untouchable for potential trades.

We also have Lydman, Tallinder, Paetsch, Mair and Lalime coming up as UFAs after next season along with Paille and Weber as RFAs.

So managerially it might make sense to wait it out this season so that we have more room in the coming off-season to make more significant trades and signings than we could have done this summer and right now.

Just a thought.

You're kidding yourself.

Well, maybe, but approaching midseason, they're in a playoff spot (but barely and maybe they lose the tiebreaker to Carolina, IDK). So I don't think parts 1 and 2 of my fantasy are that outrageous. Making some noise in the playoffs, yeah, I'm pushing it. But, hell, if Miller is the playoff goalie people claim he is and you have the league's leading goal-scorer, you should have a shot. Not to mention having God's gift to coaching.

Well, maybe, but approaching midseason, they're in a playoff spot (but barely and maybe they lose the tiebreaker to Carolina, IDK). So I don't think parts 1 and 2 of my fantasy are that outrageous. Making some noise in the playoffs, yeah, I'm pushing it. But, hell, if Miller is the playoff goalie people claim he is and you have the league's leading goal-scorer, you should have a shot. Not to mention having God's gift to coaching.

While I know you are being sarcastic, I will admit that I have tremendous faith in both Miller's playoff performance and Ruff's playoff track record.

The problem is getting there. As presently constructed what team above them would you say they are going to over take? On top of that, what do you think is more likely, Buffalo doing something to improve themselves or one or more of the other teams?

As I see it, Boston, NYR, Southeast Winner, Montreal, Jersey w/ Brodeur, Pittsburgh w/ Whitney and Gonchar have at least the top 6 sewn up.

Philly, if they get the goaltending will be tough to catch.

That leaves Buffalo fighting for the eighth spot with about 4 other teams.

Good thing I was way off on Tampa.

You can say this about a lot of teams.

Honestly I think Darcy is just playing the wait it out game. It might make more sense financially to wait till we can dump guys in free agency than to try and work trades. This coming off-season we will see a large list of UFA's and RFA's on the Sabres roster.

UFAs: Afinogenov, Connolly, Kotalik, Peters, Ellis, Spacek, Numminen

RFAs: Stafford, MacArthur, Kaleta, Mancari, Sekera

I could easily see us letting Max, Connolly, Ellis, and Numminen go. Any of the RFAs with the exception of Sekera are probably not untouchable for potential trades.

We also have Lydman, Tallinder, Paetsch, Mair and Lalime coming up as UFAs after next season along with Paille and Weber as RFAs.

So managerially it might make sense to wait it out this season so that we have more room in the coming off-season to make more significant trades and signings than we could have done this summer and right now.

Just a thought.

Who is this Connolly you speak of?

While I know you are being sarcastic, I will admit that I have tremendous faith in both Miller's playoff performance and Ruff's playoff track record.

The problem is getting there. As presently constructed what team above them would you say they are going to over take? On top of that, what do you think is more likely, Buffalo doing something to improve themselves or one or more of the other teams?

As I see it, Boston, NYR, Southeast Winner, Montreal, Jersey w/ Brodeur, Pittsburgh w/ Whitney and Gonchar have at least the top 6 sewn up.

Philly, if they get the goaltending will be tough to catch.

That leaves Buffalo fighting for the eighth spot with about 4 other teams.

Good thing I was way off on Tampa.

I meant Brian McCutcheon.

I'm not that impressed by Montreal. Or Pittsburgh, to be honest.

It's Christmas, so I have to continue to believe in miracles: that there isn't all that much difference between the teams, that the Sabres can get hot and some others can cool off (cough cough Boston).

This has to be a playoff team. Otherwise Golisano has to chew on that microphone.

I meant Brian McCutcheon.

I'm not that impressed by Montreal. Or Pittsburgh, to be honest.

It's Christmas, so I have to continue to believe in miracles: that there isn't all that much difference between the teams, that the Sabres can get hot and some others can cool off (cough cough Boston).

This has to be a playoff team. Otherwise Golisano has to chew on that microphone.

I sent one of those to his office for Christmas.

Archived