Miller: 'Pretty damn good hockey'

PASabreFan

Millsie cracks me up. Lowly Tampa goes into Pittsburgh the next night and some no name goalie shuts out the Pens. I know Ryan wasn't to blame on some of those Pittsburgh goals but its amazing how many pucks "have eyes" against Miller. He has holes in his body just like he has holes in his game. I guess 4 allowed ain't so bad Millsie,,,that's pretty damn good hockey.

I really don't care what stupid sh!t comes out of that guy's mouth anymore. Everyone knows now that Miller is a fraud, that is to say a painfully average goalie being paid like a star. Last year, the excuse was that he was playing in too many games. What's the excuse now? Go compare his current goalie stats with those around the league and see for yourself: AVERAGE. Slightly below average, actually. For $6.25 million a year, I was expecting more.

I really don't care what stupid sh!t comes out of that guy's mouth anymore. Everyone knows now that Miller is a fraud, that is to say a painfully average goalie being paid like a star. Last year, the excuse was that he was playing in too many games. What's the excuse now? Go compare his current goalie stats with those around the league and see for yourself: AVERAGE. Slightly below average, actually. For $6.25 million a year, I was expecting more.

I guess we'll have to wait until next year, when he's actually making $6.25 million, to find out what that buys us. :nana:

This team is good enough to win on a regular basis. To make the playoffs. To make some noise.

No they aren't.

Life will go a whole lot smoother for some of you homer fans when you wake up and realize this team simply isn't that good. Are they good enough to sneak into the 8th seed? Perhaps. But do we really want to set the bar that low? This team has serious holes, and will need a strong trade deadline and off-season (what with Afinigenov, Kotalik, Connolly and Spacek coming off the books) to fill them. We've got an above-average goalie - and that's about all you can say about Miller - who needs a great team in front of him to succeed, and right now we're not even close to that.

I find it a little bit ridiculous that the Panthers are one point behind us right now. Do we have our money locked up in a few of the wrong "core" guys? Or is it,as Regier likes to say,"About being patient in buffalo?"

We do have some core guys underperforming, namely Miller and Hecht. We also have some of the younger guys not living up to expectations, namely Stafford and Paille. However, you can't overlook the fact that we are wasting $7 million this year for one guy who has only played 6 games (Connolly) and another with a whopping -14 +/- (Afinojackoff). If you could imagine spending that $7 million instead on 2 mildly productive centers, we'd instantly be the 4th or 5th seed in the conference instead of the 10th.

We do have some core guys underperforming, namely Miller and Hecht. We also have some of the younger guys not living up to expectations, namely Stafford and Paille. However, you can't overlook the fact that we are wasting $7 million this year for one guy who has only played 6 games (Connolly) and another with a whopping -14 +/- (Afinojackoff). If you could imagine spending that $7 million instead on 2 mildly productive centers, we'd instantly be the 4th or 5th seed in the conference instead of the 10th.

Agreed.

Also, while Hecht is underperforming, it's not his fault that he's being played in the wrong position. Put him back on the left wing opposite of Pommer with a real center and I guarantee you he contributes more.

Agreed.

Also, while Hecht is underperforming, it's not his fault that he's being played in the wrong position. Put him back on the left wing opposite of Pommer with a real center and I guarantee you he contributes more.

Definetly. Ruff needs to stop using him as a set up guy,and but him back at wing. As the natural 2 way forward that he is. If this is the end for Connolly this season,then a solid second line playmaking center is a must have acquistion this offseason.

On an opposite note:

I dont really forsee management going out on the market(be it free agent,or trade market) and picking up a playmaker to replace Connolly. I find it more believable that they'd rather bring Gerbe in to take that spot. Next season seems primed to have alot of youngters from portland up here on the big squad. I wont mind having Gerbe,Mancari, and Butler up here next season.

I dont really forsee management going out on the market(be it free agent,or trade market) and picking up a playmaker to replace Connolly. I find it more believable that they'd rather bring Gerbe in to take that spot. Next season seems primed to have alot of youngters from portland up here on the big squad. I wont mind having Gerbe,Mancari, and Butler up here next season.

We definitely need a sticky on this, but Gerbe is not a center. He hasn't played center in Buffalo or Portland, and didn't play it at BC. He is a left winger. If there is a center in Portland that they would bring up it would either be Zags (only if he has some surprise significant improvement) or, more likely, Kennedy. While listed as a winger, he (Kennedy) has played center for the entire season in Portland (not sure which he played in college.)

(I apologize if by "spot" you meant roster spot and the not position, in particular.)

We definitely need a sticky on this, but Gerbe is not a center. He hasn't played center in Buffalo or Portland, and didn't play it at BC. He is a left winger. If there is a center in Portland that they would bring up it would either be Zags (only if he has some surprise significant improvement) or, more likely, Kennedy. While listed as a winger, he (Kennedy) has played center for the entire season in Portland (not sure which he played in college.)

(I apologize if by "spot" you meant roster spot and the not position, in particular.)

Kennedy, too, has switched back to wing after struggling lately. Yet another example of lack of any center depth on this team..

I meant a playmaking role on the roster,not a center postion. But its not a big deal. :thumbsup:

I've given up trying to win this battle. I had a poster on another sabres site who insisted he is a center because that is how he is listed on sabres.com. :blink:

If DR/LQ/OSP don't address the "center problem" via trade or FA, we will be having the same discussions come next October. <_<

I meant a playmaking role on the roster,not a center postion. But its not a big deal. :thumbsup:

My bad. However, I don't know if he's really a playmaker, either. More of a fast, Pominville-type (good shot from 10-15 feet out) player.

Interesting about Kennedy being switched back. That would explain why he hasn't gotten a shot up here yet. That may actually be a good thing. If they don't have a young center who is capable of being promoted next year, they are more likely to look outside of the organization. Of course, it still relies on two things: (1) Connolly does not play enough games over the rest of the season to make DR think that he should be re-signed, and (2) DR believes that Hecht is not a starting top-two center. Over the past two seasons, Hecht has been the backup plan for that position. Unfortunately, due to Connolly's constant injuries, the backup has played far more than the starter. Hopefully, Darcy at least understands (and/or Lindy will let him know) that Hecht shouldn't be the primary plan. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

My bad. However, I don't know if he's really a playmaker, either. More of a fast, Pominville-type (good shot from 10-15 feet out) player.

Interesting about Kennedy being switched back. That would explain why he hasn't gotten a shot up here yet. That may actually be a good thing. If they don't have a young center who is capable of being promoted next year, they are more likely to look outside of the organization. Of course, it still relies on two things: (1) Connolly does not play enough games over the rest of the season to make DR think that he should be re-signed, and (2) DR believes that Hecht is not a starting top-two center. Over the past two seasons, Hecht has been the backup plan for that position. Unfortunately, due to Connolly's constant injuries, the backup has played far more than the starter. Hopefully, Darcy at least understands (and/or Lindy will let him know) that Hecht shouldn't be the primary plan. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

Yes,very true. From what i saw of him while he was up here is as you describe,a scrappy Pominville type player. But he certain has the stature to be a Briere styled playmaker.

Kennedy switched back to the wing can certaintly be looked at as a good thing. Maybe it will wake Regier up,and he takes notice that depth down the middle is a must adress situation.

Connolly playing enough games down the stretch seems like a pretty grim way to justify a contract renewal. He's gonna have to play at least 70 percent of these games to make a good case for himself. The only thing he really has going for him is his points per game. Which will probably be between 1.3 and 1.7 a game. Even so he remains a huge head case. I've accepted the fact that theres about a 30 percent chance he says for next year. Allthough i still dont know how i feel about Connolly leaving. A part of me really doesn't not want to give up on him. But another side of me wants the Sabres to do whats best for the team.

Wether TC stays or goes doesn't change the fact that Hecht should not be playing center. Hopefully Ruff says something about it to DR,or DR himself realizes its a dumb decision.

He's gonna have to play at least 70 percent of these games to make a good case for himself.

Lindy stated today that he is "still a ways away" and that he "wouldn't say near future." Even if he played tomorrow, he could only play a maximum of 52 regular-season games. Given Lindy's quote, I'm guessing his start won't be for at least a couple of weeks, making it unlikely that he will play any more than last year (48 games.) I'd say he'd have to play just about every game to stand a chance. Basically, he'd have to play out the rest of the season with nothing more than a single game off here or there. Even then, I'm not convinced, it better be a short-term, low-pay contract and he better be penciled in no higher than third center on the depth chart (Hecht can't be second either.)

Definetly. Ruff needs to stop using him as a set up guy,and but him back at wing. As the natural 2 way forward that he is. If this is the end for Connolly this season,then a solid second line playmaking center is a must have acquistion this offseason.

On an opposite note:

I hope you also won't mind that those will be the only changes in the roster too

Just for Sh*ts and Giggles, Here are Millers stats compared to other goalies as per NHL.com

Shutouts - listed as 4th (Tied for 2nd) with 3 (Luongo has 5, Thomas, Backstrum, Kiprusoff, Mason, Vokoun, Anderson and Rinne all have 3 also)

Save % - Listed at 18th (Tied with Bryzgalov and Ward for 17th) with a .911

GAA - Listed at 22nd with a 2.62 (about half the players above him have played in 10 or more games less them him, and he is 0.03 below Cam Ward, and 0.05 ahead of Henrik Lundqvist)

Wins - Listed at 6th (tied for 5th with Tim Thomas) only 2 ahead of him have played in less games

7th in Saves made (only one person above him has played in as many or less games, everyone else has played in more games), 10th in TOI, Listed at 6th (tied for 4th) in Shootout wins.............

Of course like everything in Buffalo, the grass is always greener on the other side, but Miller is not just average, he is above average in most categories and considered a pretty good goalie. He is not the best goalie in the league, but there are many teams that would love to have him over what they currently have. I stand by my comment i had said in the past, Buffalo fans have been ruined by Hasek. No one, and I repeat, no one, can compare to Hasek in his Sabres Days, he was an exception, and we may never see a goalie like him for a long time, if ever

Archived