Vanek

spndnchz

Are U surprised  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Vanek is on pace for 60 goals?

• Yes
    • No

Not much discussion here about just how well Vanek is playing this year. Are we surprised he is scoring so much, backchecking so much better, laying out to stop scoring opportunities, playing on the penalty kill?

Last season, TV didn't score 10 until the 31st game. It took him 56 games to get 20 goals last season, this year he's at 20 in 27 games.

As big as that contract seemed at the time, he's a steal.

absolutely not.

There wasn't a more frustrating conversation last season than the one about Vanek. You could see the opportunities he was creating, but was just off a little here or a little there. But having to listen to the haters come out in full force about how much of waste he was, how he was garbage (like the rest of our players) was a testament to the myopic viewpoint that fans have.

Not at all. I think what is even more impressive than the goal total is Vanek's commitment to rounding out his game. Hearing Brian Engblom call Vanek one of the leagues better two way forwards this morning is a testament to the work this kid has put in. You don't see B-Rod diving to clear pucks in the defensive zone.

absolutely not.

There wasn't a more frustrating conversation last season than the one about Vanek. You could see the opportunities he was creating, but was just off a little here or a little there. But having to listen to the haters come out in full force about how much of waste he was, how he was garbage (like the rest of our players) was a testament to the myopic viewpoint that fans have.

But not you, right? Way to generalize! That's kid stuff. :)

You are in a really crappy mood of late. Now, don't be challenging me for Board Grump. I will drop you like a bag of mulch.

As for the poll question, the math says he's on pace for 62 goals. So I don't understand the 5 responses saying he isn't.

Oh, I get it. Instead of reading the question as asked, people are reading it as "Will Vanek get 60 goals?"

I'm with Scott on the Vanek issue. Going back to the All Star break last year who's been a better all around player? Seriously. He's made a commitment to the backcheck and he's hustling for pucks like he should. He's only 24, he's playing without the pressure of the contract and more importantly, he's adjusted to having a new baby around. That's STILL my biggest reason he slept during the first half of last year. Anyone who's ever had a newborn in the house can relate.

GO SABRES!!!

Not much discussion here about just how well Vanek is playing this year. Are we surprised he is scoring so much, backchecking so much better, laying out to stop scoring opportunities, playing on the penalty kill?

Last season, TV didn't score 10 until the 31st game. It took him 56 games to get 20 goals last season, this year he's at 20 in 27 games.

As big as that contract seemed at the time, he's a steal.

My two brothers and I bought Vanek jerseys before he signed his contract, and wear them proudly every game. Even last year when he struggled -- that's what a true fan would do, right? I had to sit in front of some A-Hole all last season who constantly yelled "overpaid" at Vanek. Where is that piece-of-shi$ fan now?

I still think there is more opportunity for Vanek. I don't know if he has the right personnel on his line, and that is not to slight the rest of the team. I am just saying that the lineup has not capitalized on where Vanek is best. I would like to see some more shots from the point or shots creating rebounds in front when he is on the ice.

The only thing that surprises me about Vanek this year is the All-Star voting.

But not you, right? Way to generalize! That's kid stuff. :)

You are in a really crappy mood of late. Now, don't be challenging me for Board Grump. I will drop you like a bag of mulch.

Personally, I don't consider myself a "what have you done for me lately and if it isn't good you are garbage" type of fan. I think I have been pretty consistent with my long term support of the players and management and avoiding the knee jerk "throw 'em all under the bus" philosophy that many seem to hold.

As for being in a bad mood - not really. 9/10 of my posts are light-hearted jokes, so I don't see how I'm grumpy. But, I have always had little patience with over the top negativity. Life is too short for that.

As for the poll question, the math says he's on pace for 62 goals. So I don't understand the 5 responses saying he isn't.

Oh, I get it. Instead of reading the question as asked, people are reading it as "Will Vanek get 60 goals?"

No, if you read the thread title, the question is "Are you surprised that Vanek is on pace for 60 goals?" I doubt he will actually do it, but I am not entirely surprised that he is on that pace.

Not at all. I think what is even more impressive than the goal total is Vanek's commitment to rounding out his game. Hearing Brian Engblom call Vanek one of the leagues better two way forwards this morning is a testament to the work this kid has put in. You don't see B-Rod diving to clear pucks in the defensive zone.

And for the most part this season he's been very consistant. There hasn't been any cold streaks and he's still scoring in a majority of the games. I can't remember seeing a Sabre better at tipping in pucks then Vanek.

haters

:bag: I resemble that remark. I have to admit, I was dead wrong about Thomas. I didn't think he had it in him to become the player he is now.

Not at all.
The only thing that surprises me about Vanek this year is the All-Star voting.

You guys actually thought he was going to score 60 goals this year?

he had 36 last year and could have easily potted another 15-20 on excellent scoring chances that were just a bit off. Given the number opportunities has gets and the number of ways he can score - it wouldn't surprise me at all. Of course, you can't just say "he'll get 60 goals" because you never know when those tips go 2" over the crossbar and not 2" below the crossbar.

:bag: I resemble that remark. I have to admit, I was dead wrong about Thomas. I didn't think he had it in him to become the player he is now.

Score 60? No. To be on pace for 60 is not surprising. The kid and 36 in a down year. As long as Vanek keeps working he is going to put up some amazing numbers when it is all said and done.

absolutely not.

Exactamundo.

-Fonz

i voted "no" to being surprised at his being on pace for 60, but i'd vote "yes" if the question were "will you be surprised if he actually scores 60?"

even so, the kid's game is developing very, very nicely -- he projects to live up to, if not out-perform, that contract.

No, you don't get it. The question is:

Are U surprised

Vanek is on pace for 60 goals?

Interesting little bit from Elias Sports Bureau:

Thomas Vanek became the first NHL player to reach the 20-goal plateau this season when he scored at 6:13 of the third period to break a 3-3 tie and give Buffalo a come-from-behind 4-3 win at Pittsburgh. The only other Sabre to earn the distinction of being the first NHL player to score 20 goals in a season was Danny Gare in 1975-76.

Score 60? No. To be on pace for 60 is not surprising.

Exactly. I am not surprised that in a 27 game stretch, he has potted 20 goals. Whether I, or anyone else, believe(s) that he will get 40 more in the last 55 games, is a very different question. I do believe that he will clear 40 and I think 50 is not out of the question, but 60 is unlikely (though, not impossible.) One interesting fact is that he has 20 goals without a single empty netter (probably should have 21 goals with an empty netter from last night) or a single hat trick. Also, one could claim that his position is due solely to a hot start (5 goals in the first three games), but since then he has had 15 goals in 22 games, which is still a 56 goal pace.

The talent is/was there but I expected 35-40 again this year. He has more than enough talent to score 60 but will he? Probably not. I think he will be pushed by Ovechkin and maybe Carter for the goal scoring title but it would be a great lift for his confidence to bring home the Richard trophy while getting the Sabres to the playoffs.

Archived