Favorite Sabre Not named Perrault, Martin or Hasek

Grinder42

Pat LaFontaine, Curtis Brown, Danny Briere, Dixon Ward and Brad May! Loved those guys with a passion.

Nice, Dixon Ward. I always liked him too. In case everyone doesn't know, we could have drafted Keith Tkachuk (who went 3 picks lower) instead of Brad May.

Some of the greats we had and my favorites and yes I am old and have been following them since I was a kid in the 70's...

70's - Dryden, McNab, Schoeney, Korab, Robert, Dudly, Spinner, Gare, Hajt, Carriere, Stanfield, Playfair, C Ramsey, A. Savard, Seiling, Mckegney

80"s - Sauve, Andreychuk, Housley, Ruff, Krupp, Barasso, Hamel, M. Ramsey, Cyr, S Patrick, Creighton, Tucker, Foligno, Engblom, Halkidis,

Puppa(scooper), C Ruuttu, Sheppard, Turgeon, VanBoxmeer, McCourt

90's - Mogilny, Lafontaine, Razer, Mckee,Peca, Hawerchuk, Varada, Svoboda, Vaive, Fuhr, Ward, Galley, Hozer, W Primeau, Zhitnik

Danny Gare. 50 goal scorer who would fight at the drop of a hat and played on the checking line. I don't think the Sabres have had a complete player like that since.

I'm not sure the NHL has. He even overcame a slow start to his career - after all it took him about 10 seconds on the ice in his first game to score!

There are so many great players over the years. I'd go with:

Gare

Korab

Foligno

Mike Ramsey - I'll never forget his hipcheck of Gretzky in the all-star game.

I should be kicked in the package for leaving Mike Ramsey off my list. Probably the best defensive defenseman that has ever worn the blue and gold and should have played his entire career here in Buffalo.

I'll go so far to say that as long as they were hell bent on retiring more numbers, his number should have been retired instead of Lafontaine and Gare.

Well, I am so amazed at the names tha were put out there. Perhaps, being a Sabres fan over the years has truly been rewarding.I am glad everyone enjoyed this discussion. I would like to add a few more to my list.

Mike Ramsey (definitely one of the greates Defensemen in Sabres history and wow could he hip check!

Craig Ramsey was solid too...

Don Audette scored many a good goal.

Barnaby was like a side show on given nights.

I sure would like to see Andreychuck playing on our Powerplay now

Gare, what can I say that has not been said....

Well, I am so amazed at the names tha were put out there. Perhaps, being a Sabres fan over the years has truly been rewarding.I am glad everyone enjoyed this discussion. I would like to add a few more to my list.

Mike Ramsey (definitely one of the greates Defensemen in Sabres history and wow could he hip check!

Craig Ramsey was solid too...

Don Audette scored many a good goal.

Barnaby was like a side show on given nights.

I sure would like to see Andreychuck playing on our Powerplay now

Gare, what can I say that has not been said....

Not to nit-pic, but its Craig Ramsay with an a.

But it was great thread. Great memories.

You sure you are not openly admitting a thing for his daughter?

I'll admit it. She's only like 4 years younger than me, so it's totally okay.

Then I could get my Yuri jersey signed by her pops, of course. :thumbsup:

Drury

Barasso

Peca

Yvonne Lambert (Just cuz I loved the way Rick sayed his name after he scored a goal) YYYYYYYVOOOOOOONNEEEEEE LLLAMMMBEERRRRRRRRRRR

We had a player for RIT who graduated last year named Simon Lambert, and he would be introduced or have goals read in that very same manner. I can easily hear it in my head.

Michal Grosek (just kidding). By the way, I know we like to criticize Darcy a lot around these parts, but has he ever made a better trade than Grosek for Gilmour and Dumont? Seriously? Gratton for Briere was pretty good, but Grosek for Dumont and Gilmour is just legendary.

Back to the topic. My favorites are definitely LaFontaine, Mogilny, Hawerchuk, and I know it's probably blasphemy around these parts, but Chris Drury as I lived in Trumbull, CT for a few years growing up and always rooted for the guy. I'd also throw in Mike Ramsey, Jay McKee, Housley, and of course Schoenfeld in terms of defenseman.

Not blasphemy at all. I know some Sabres fans boo Drury and Briere when they;ve come back to HSBC. Not me. For all of the money they received from the Rangers and Flyers, respectively, I would have booed them if they would have stayed. That's alot of money:)

I am wondering if people might want to look back in time and state who their favorite players were in the organization.

Mine would be Korab, Mcquire,Ray, Foligno, Arneil, Housley, Curtis Brown,LaFontaine and Bob Suave.

Biggest Sabre never to make the bigs Andy Ristuu( took Jeff Brubaker and 2 other Skaters to knock him out of an AHL game)

A favorite in Rochester was always was Walters ( what a goon!)

Wish I could remember the '76 team more!

:thumbsup:

Stu Barnes, Donald Audette, LaFontaine, John Van Boxmeer, Schoenfeld, Rick Vaive, Danny Gare

Drury

Barasso

Peca

Yvonne Lambert (Just cuz I loved the way Rick sayed his name after he scored a goal) YYYYYYYVOOOOOOONNEEEEEE LLLAMMMBEERRRRRRRRRRR

Yes, Drury is still one of my all time favorite Sabres. And I still can't believe we let Barasso get away :wallbash:

And I forgot Mike Ramsey, one of the all time great people to ever play sports in this city

LaFontaine kind of goes without saying I think ... almost impossible not to like the guy, he should be on the "other than ..." list you started with, IMO ...

Mike Ramsey, Lindy Ruff, Mike Foligno, John Tucker, Marty Biron ...

I was watching the Flyers game last night and wishing there could have been some way we could have kept both Marty and Miller.

I'm a young guy so I can't claim players that most do. I have to pick from the late 90s through the present, since I was only 12 when the Sabres went to the Finals in 99.

Long nights awake listening to the playoffs and other games on my am/fm headphones bring names like Jay McKee and Jason Woolley, Stu Barnes and Steve Shields, Alexei Zhitnik, Curtis Brown, Geoff Sanderson, Rhett Warrener, JP Dumont, Donald Audette, Chris Gratton. I always used to fall asleep to RJ's voice.

I can't really say I had a favorite player then though. I never got to see any games, except for once in 1997. I never had cable so I couldn't watch em. But if I hat to pick, probably Jason Woolley. That name has always stuck in my head.

From the more recent era, I really liked Drury when he was here. You could say I had a man crush. I'll always remember him as a great Sabre, and the memories of the 05-06 season. And of course who could forget Marty Biron. What a character!

Really good player, but I just couldn't stand his facial hair. It looked like a toilet scrubber

Archived