Favorite Sabre Not named Perrault, Martin or Hasek

Grinder42

No one picked Hasek, that's interesting. I really liked the guy myself. Maybe the best Sabre ever, but those teams were so boring to watch. I just wish the Mogilney/LaFontain era overlapped more with Dom, we would have several Stanley Cups

Maybe they were following the rules in the title. :thumbsup:

LaFontaine kind of goes without saying I think ... almost impossible not to like the guy, he should be on the "other than ..." list you started with, IMO ...

My thoughts exactly.

For some reason I was always a Don Edwards fan...

ric Seiling was a hell of a player until that nasty eye injury he was never the same afterward. Played on checking line with Luce and Ramsey and was scoring.

O the best defenseman to play in a sabres uni yes Ramsey was good but as a stay at home defensemen Hadjt and Tim Horton probably top that list

Someone else mentioned how they could have had Tkaczuk instead of Brad May but the bigger error was drafting Seiling instead of Mike Bossy because they thought they had enough offense. Of course, a lot of other teams missed on Bossy as well.

Schoney -- talk about fire in the belly!

Gare -- same

Ramsay

Ramsey

Lindy

Don Edwards

Barrasso

Housely

Playfair -- he never, EVER, lost a fight. After a while everyone stopped trying

Brent Peterson -- best faceoff man we've ever had

Mal Davis -- pretty random, I know, but he really lit it up in the AHL and seemingly scored pretty easily whenever he got called up here. Wicked wrister. I guess he was too slow and lousy on the backcheck to stick in the NHL.

McKee -- when healthy, he was a rock. Blood and guts. He blocked a million shots and could put a forward through the boards if they skated into his sweet spot to his left.

Connolly -- flame away. It was just that one season (05-06), but he was a joy to watch. And 7-6 was probably my favorite game in any sport in about 7 years.

Drury -- so clutch, and he really knew how to play the game and where to go. He's not lighting it up in NYC, but it's not a coincidence that the Rangers are really good again.

Ah, memories.

Some of the greats we had and my favorites and yes I am old and have been following them since I was a kid in the 70's...

70's - Dryden, McNab, Schoeney, Korab, Robert, Dudly, Spinner, Gare, Hajt, Carriere, Stanfield, Playfair, C Ramsey, A. Savard, Seiling, Mckegney

80"s - Sauve, Andreychuk, Housley, Ruff, Krupp, Barasso, Hamel, M. Ramsey, Cyr, S Patrick, Creighton, Tucker, Foligno, Engblom, Halkidis,

Puppa(scooper), C Ruuttu, Sheppard, Turgeon, VanBoxmeer, McCourt

90's - Mogilny, Lafontaine, Razer, Mckee,Peca, Hawerchuk, Varada, Svoboda, Vaive, Fuhr, Ward, Galley, Hozer, W Primeau, Zhitnik

Great list!! :worthy:

Color me confused, your 3 favorite Sabres are guys who played before you starting watching, at least according to the background you gave in game discussion.

No no, I've watched Mogilny play, LaFontaine just from clips from the net, but I like guys with character, and it seems he had it... Remember, I said I watched the

NHL since I was 16 - I don't remember exactly it's not like I hadn't watched a game earlier, it was just hard to find, and ok ok so I remember Mogilny mostly from his Devil and Canuck days but nonetheless he was a FANTASTIC player... Peca as I recall, is still playing hockey, I like his style, and the fact that he was a Sabre is all the better... But watching the NHL is different from learning about it, eversince I had a computer NHL.com has been my start page... That was waaay before 16.

No no, I've watched Mogilny play, LaFontaine just from clips from the net, but I like guys with character, and it seems he had it... Remember, I said I watched the

NHL since I was 16 - I don't remember exactly it's not like I hadn't watched a game earlier, it was just hard to find, and ok ok so I remember Mogilny mostly from his Devil and Canuck days but nonetheless he was a FANTASTIC player... Peca as I recall, is still playing hockey, I like his style, and the fact that he was a Sabre is all the better... But watching the NHL is different from learning about it, eversince I had a computer NHL.com has been my start page... That was waaay before 16.

Considering you became a member at 4am Croatia time, you must not sleep much....Also, I didn't realize NHL.com was available more then 7 years ago.

Considering you became a member at 4am Croatia time, you must not sleep much....Also, I didn't realize NHL.com was available more then 7 years ago.

You got that right, but I don't watch every game, and try to keep it once twice a week, so not to unbalance my sleeping completely...

As for the NHL.com, I'm sure it was, I think it was available even long before, I remember I had printed ALL Star Rosters when Tkachuk

played for Phoenix.. That was around 1998 I think... I could be wrong, but I remember visiting team sites when I was a kid...

Most of the games start at around 2 o' clock at night here, and last 'till 4... I don't quite understand the point of all this, what exactly

are you questioning - me being Croatian or the fact that I watched those players?

didn't watch them too much before the mid-to-late 90's, so excuse me for not mentioning some of the earlier greats...

my list goes something like this: (and in no particular order)

stu barnes

mike peca

Jay McKee

Alex Zhitnik

Marty Biron

and although a few stick out (miller, vanek, drury, briere, pominville...) EVERYONE on the 05 06 team has a place in my heart. that was by far the best year of my life and they were a biiiiiiiig part of it.

also connolly and max ;]

and although a few stick out (miller, vanek, drury, briere, pominville...) EVERYONE on the 05 06 team has a place in my heart. that was by far the best year of my life and they were a biiiiiiiig part of it.

:thumbsup:

I could not agree more. The 05-06 season was the greatest I have ever experienced. I was living in Charlotte, NC and I remember driving to work the day after the Hurricanes stole game 7 with a few tears streaming down my face.

Archived