Game Discussion Thread

darksabre

Perfect ending. Roy is in the wheelhouse with a few seconds to go and dumps a pass across ice into traffic. The Sabres are good for half a dozen of those a night.

This team is so tight. Lindy has made them that way. Maybe he needs to take them bowling or something. I'm serious. He's done it in the past. I remember a walk in Ottawa before Game 1 in 1999. Anything.

I thought Paetsch played well. Very solid as usual. Almost boring, which isn't a bad thing on this defense corps. Mancari shied away from finishing his check early in the game, and he was in my doghouse after that.

BINGO! (Blue)

Perfect ending. Roy is in the wheelhouse with a few seconds to go and dumps a pass across ice into traffic. The Sabres are good for half a dozen of those a night.

This team is so tight. Lindy has made them that way. Maybe he needs to take them bowling or something. I'm serious. He's done it in the past. I remember a walk in Ottawa before Game 1 in 1999. Anything.

As I suggested in the other thread. Maybe it's time for Ruff to move on.

It ain't Lindy. They are tight because they are a bunch of mental midgets. They are not mentally tough enough to produce in clutch situations -- and haven't been since you-know-who and you-know-who-else left. Stafford can't convert a one-timer into an empty half of a net. Vanek can't score on a breakaway. Miller can't make a big save when needed. Roy is good on the backcheck, except when he's not, and is on the ice for 2 goals against. And, in the ultimate sign of a LOSER TEAM, they can't score on a long 5-on-3, and then give up a breakaway and a goal as the PP expires.

They played better D tonight, but they don't have what it takes -- clutch performers -- to win a tight game. We are headed for a complete duplicate of last season, in which we lose every single time we play an EC playoff team, and miss the playoffs again. The only way this doesn't happen is if we make a big trade for a tough veteran forward with Cup experience who can score. Frankly I think it's effing ridiculous that we aren't at least attempting to get Shanahan.

Here's what a winner franchise does right now: trade Max and Stafford for low draft picks, and use the cash savings to sign Sundin and Shanahan. If necessary, include Paille, MacArthur, Mancari or any of the defensemen besides Sekera and Rivet in order to get someone to take them. Since the season will be 1/3 over by the time Sundin and Shanny arrive, their contracts will be prorated and it won't cost that much in absolute dollars when you factor in the savings on Max and Stafford. Max and Stafford's full-season salaries total $4.5 million; Sundin and Shanny's full-season deals would probably total $9 million. So it's another $4.5 million over a full season, which would be $3 million in real cost for the last 2/3 of a season. It's a lot of money, but Connolly, Kotalik and Spacek are gone after this year, which saves $9.3 million.

Do I expect this to happen? NFW. But they guys they need are out there, and there is no excuse for not trying. And there is no way the guys in that locker room can solve this by themselves.

It ain't Lindy. They are tight because they are a bunch of mental midgets. They are not mentally tough enough to produce in clutch situations -- and haven't been since you-know-who and you-know-who-else left. Stafford can't convert a one-timer into an empty half of a net. Vanek can't score on a breakaway. Miller can't make a big save when needed. Roy is good on the backcheck, except when he's not, and is on the ice for 2 goals against. And, in the ultimate sign of a LOSER TEAM, they can't score on a long 5-on-3, and then give up a breakaway and a goal as the PP expires.

They played better D tonight, but they don't have what it takes -- clutch performers -- to win a tight game. We are headed for a complete duplicate of last season, in which we lose every single time we play an EC playoff team, and miss the playoffs again. The only way this doesn't happen is if we make a big trade for a tough veteran forward with Cup experience who can score. Frankly I think it's effing ridiculous that we aren't at least attempting to get Shanahan.

Here's what a winner franchise does right now: trade Max and Stafford for low draft picks, and use the cash savings to sign Sundin and Shanahan. If necessary, include Paille, MacArthur, Mancari or any of the defensemen besides Sekera and Rivet in order to get someone to take them. Since the season will be 1/3 over by the time Sundin and Shanny arrive, their contracts will be prorated and it won't cost that much in absolute dollars when you factor in the savings on Max and Stafford. Max and Stafford's full-season salaries total $4.5 million; Sundin and Shanny's full-season deals would probably total $9 million. So it's another $4.5 million over a full season, which would be $3 million in real cost for the last 2/3 of a season. It's a lot of money, but Connolly, Kotalik and Spacek are gone after this year, which saves $9.3 million.

Do I expect this to happen? NFW. But they guys they need are out there, and there is no excuse for not trying. And there is no way the guys in that locker room can solve this by themselves.

You always make great post, keep up the good work

You should forward a copy of this to each member of the team and the coaching staff............great input on the situation.

damn I was gonna say that.

Just a bad luck night?

Thoughts??

Well personally the Chinese was good. The general Tso's spicy shrimp!

Seriously Though I came home and caught the 2nd and the 3rd. Looked like they we skating in mud. Marty looked like a brick wall and the Sabres just looked a step behind.

Just a bad luck night?

Thoughts??

I thought the team played very well actually. Any night you get 40 shots on goal, you're not exactly struggling. It's a shame that Biron read Vanek's breakaway to the T. It's a shame that Pommer's backhand from a real tough angle hit the goal post... and it's a bigger shame that he completely whiffed on a wide open net. It's a shame that Stafford didn't get good enough wood on the puck to bury the pass from Roy into the empty net, instead deflecting it right at big Marty. Blown 5 on 3's, a real weak goal allowed by Miller (imo), the list goes on and on...

BUT. It was better than the last several games. We just ran into a hot goaltender on a hot team. Islanders? Not the same story. If we play as solid as we did tonight.. fix a few little things.. I expect a win tomorrow vs a pretty weak team without an NHL-caliber goalie.

I think Stafford just saw his last attempt at staying on the ice get buried into Marty's chest!!

Seriously, what's with him?? He had 3-4 real good scoring chances and showed 0 effort at finishing. He looked really bad tonight, and would have looked worse had it not been for Clarke and Roy. I'd rather see Hecht pushed to wing and Gerbe pulled up at this point. I know we don't wanna bleed Portland dry, but for cripes sake, this is getting old.....

Mancari looked decent tonight, as did Paetsch. I think Nate deserves to play for a WHILE. IMO, any guy that can come out of the press box and contribute like that deserves a shake at it. Tallinder should be embarrased that Nate played that well after riding the pine for so long.

After hearing Roby talk about how hard it was for Lindy to bench Hank, I wonder if Lindy's job status was brought up, forcing him to bench Hank (and I guess Max, although we ALL saw that coming). The limited time Peters saw, he looked pretty damn good. More hustle from him than the entire team tonight, for the most part, not that the hustle was all that bad, moreso mental farts aplenty......gheez, I think we hit bottom tonight. F it, I say firesale, don't know how, but I think it's coming....

Just watched the highlights on NHL.com. The second goal - while Miller absolutely needs to stop that shot - how many turnovers can we have in our own end on one play? Spacek turns it over behind the net, intercepts the centering pass then just sort of flips it toward MacArthur, who doesn't get it out, then the puck ends up in the net.

How can we expect the team to turn it around when the "veteran leaders" like Spacek, Tallinder, Max, etc., are the ones screwing things up? Granted Lindy took the first steps tonight, removing Max & Hank, but how many guys can he bench or healthy scratch?

I thought Paetsch played well. Very solid as usual. Almost boring, which isn't a bad thing on this defense corps. Mancari shied away from finishing his check early in the game, and he was in my doghouse after that.

I guess some things never change. He is a big overgrown pansy. If he wants to stay in the NHL he has to learn to use his size. He ain't gonna score 30 goals a season, so he better learn to play physical if he wants any chance.

Edit: Apparently the Sabres like to sign players that don't like to play physical. He should then fit right in on this team. :wallbash:

WTF? Not 1 goal at home after two beat downs on the road. This team and organization is bush league.

Wow, it's strange the perspective that you get when watching a game up close and then reading these posts. Honestly, I want to say some things that might get me some time off from posting. Now, I'll give you that coming off of some of the games that we've seen recently, anything short of a win would seem disappointing and a continuation of the same. However, this game was not a bad loss. They outplayed the Flyers almost completely tonight. Their aim was just off as it often is when teams are riding a losing streak, but they generated far more offensive chances. They also played solid D. I honestly remember just three real mistakes (not including that nail in the coffin at the end) and two of them ended up in the net. That should have been a blow out in the Sabres favor and, I hate to say it, but they lost due to bad luck as much as anything. I would honestly bet that in their heart-of-hearts, most of the Philadelphia players are still trying to figure out how they won that game. Really, at any other point in the season, we would all just be talking about how bad their luck was tonight.

In short, any loss sucks and they are especially bad when following three others, but this was not a big sign that this team can't win. They did so many things right tonight that they haven't done it several game that I see it as a big step in the right direction. If they play with the same effort tomorrow, they will destroy the Islanders. If they keep playing with that much energy for the rest of the season, they will win more often than not.

Oh, and for those who missed it, Mancari played a very good game. He definitely had some good hits later on and, according to the radio on the drive home, lead the team in shots on goal and got the third star of the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay in the lineup for a while.

Well, here's my summary of things I saw from the game perspective:

Best Player on the ice tonight was Mancari. It may not have looked as good on tv, but he was definitely more physical than you guys are giving credit for. I'll also give a Tip of the Hat to Dan Paille, Clarke MacArthur, Pat Kaleta, Adam Mair, Andrew Peters, and Toni Lydman. Our 4th line plus those three looked the most "in the game". And Peters had a pretty good fight. Lydman made some good plays too and was taking a little body.

Worst player on the ice tonight was Jochen Hecht. The dude was invisible. I would also give a close second to Thomas Vanek. Absolutely no back check hustle like before. My Wags of the Finger go, for the most part, to the rest of the damn team. If you thought they looked slow on tv, you don't even want to know how slow they looked in person. The lady next to me was doing a crossword puzzle (and ralphing down nachos, but that's another story).

This team had absolutely no jump in its step at all tonight, they just nonchalantly coasted around the ice. There was a complete lack of effort to work along the boards, or even get to the puck. The Flyers didn't even have to try to win this game, it was handed to them. The passing was horrendous. Either they were way too slow to the draw and coughed it up, or just flung it off in a general direction as soon is they got the puck. They aren't playing by instinct, they're either over thinking it and taking too long, or they don't think at all and just cough it up. It's worse than I thought.

This team has neither sack nor talent.

Oh, and just for the record, the fans must reflect the team, because HSBC is just a bunch of spiritless snobs. If you don't want to hear me cheer for the Sabres then leave. Go back to your #%^$#!ing mansion in Amherst and watch it there where you can sit and be absolutely silent. It was like a freakin' theater in there before the game was even lost. This fan base needs to grow some damn sack too. A special Tip of the Hat to the few guys in 321 who actually felt like cheering Let's Go Buffalo with me even when we're down, and to the guy behind me who cracked jokes with me the entire time with relation to obscure ex-sabres.

"Someone call Morris Titanic, the ship is sinking!"

My Wags of the Finger go, for the most part, to the rest of the damn team. If you thought they looked slow on tv, you don't even want to know how slow they looked in person. The lady next to me was doing a crossword puzzle (and ralphing down nachos, but that's another story).

This team had absolutely no jump in its step at all tonight, they just nonchalantly coasted around the ice. There was a complete lack of effort to work along the boards, or even get to the puck. The Flyers didn't even have to try to win this game, it was handed to them. The passing was horrendous. Either they were way too slow to the draw and coughed it up, or just flung it off in a general direction as soon is they got the puck. They aren't playing by instinct, they're either over thinking it and taking too long, or they don't think at all and just cough it up. It's worse than I thought.

This team has neither sack nor talent.

Things must have looked different wwwwaaaayyyy up in the 300s. :nana:

Seriously, though, I saw a lot of hustle and I saw them, for the most part, playing their system. I agree that the win was handed to the Flyers, but only because I didn't feel like they were ever in the game. With the exception of the two goals and that one short-handed two-on-one, I don't remember them having any good chance. The Sabre, however, created a ton of good chances. Sure, they hit Marty or the post, but they worked plenty hard to get those chances and keep the Flyers' chances down. It was a transition game; a step toward getting out of their funk. Tomorrow is the perfect opportunity to get the rest of the way out.

The fans were quiet, though, but after the last couple of weeks, I don't blame them. Some wins should get them back.

File this under the "let it go already" category:

Notes: Briere, along with Chris Drury, co-captained Buffalo for two years starting in 2005. ...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2008020282

That was two seasons ago and Briere didn't even play tonight! :angry:

Things must have looked different wwwwaaaayyyy up in the 300s. :nana:

Seriously, though, I saw a lot of hustle and I saw them, for the most part, playing their system. I agree that the win was handed to the Flyers, but only because I didn't feel like they were ever in the game. With the exception of the two goals and that one short-handed two-on-one, I don't remember them having any good chance. The Sabre, however, created a ton of good chances. Sure, they hit Marty or the post, but they worked plenty hard to get those chances and keep the Flyers' chances down. It was a transition game; a step toward getting out of their funk. Tomorrow is the perfect opportunity to get the rest of the way out.

The fans were quiet, though, but after the last couple of weeks, I don't blame them. Some wins should get them back.

File this under the "let it go already" category:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2008020282

That was two seasons ago and Briere didn't even play tonight! :angry:

I dunno, maybe. I'm used to college games where the action seems faster and the hits seem bigger. Maybe I'm just not used to the NHL live lol They just didn't seem to be playing as physical as I expect an NHL team to play.

Here's hoping the can pull off a win tomorrow. They need it.

Of course Mancari looked good.....everyone else looked like crap. I hope these guys are embarrassed to see a guy from Portland get the only star for the Sabres. That's pitiful and it just goes to show how much the guys that have secure jobs don't seem to give two turds. I could probably go out there and look like the best Sabre on the ice....WTF! Okay, maybe not the best, I'm exaggerating a tad. :thumbsup:

I think the sabres looked as good as any team can look and get shut out 3-0. They did not win, but th ey played out of their minds compared to wednesday night. It's baby steps time now. They obviously listened to lindy, played tougher, and got their chances. The first goal was spot on by harry neale. The sabres had the puck and were cycling down low. The defenseman got the puck and cleared it past the sabres pointmen to a guy who was stepping out on the ice. That crap does not happen 9 out of 10 times, and it doesn't happen to a hot team. They played a good game and lost. They need to carry that to tonight and finally get a win. As for the missed opportunities, well, vanek didn't exactly crap the bed on that breakaway. Give credit for marty for sticking with the play. Pominville and Spacek off the posts? They were just off by inches. Call it fate or whatever. As for pominville's whiff on the open net, well the puck was bouncing. It's not like he pulled a move like that dallas guy and scored into his own net a couple years ago. A very frustrating game, but i'll take 0-3 plus effort over a heartless 4-7 game any day of the week.

i thought gaustad was the only one that played some physical hockey...

this might just not not be a good team...and now comes the true test of a fanbase. is it a bandwagon town and the sellouts turn in to crowds of 12k-13k or do people stay with them while they work through this...

Sign Dumont, Grier,Drury,Campbell..End Of story..You dont giveaway talent like that for Rivet......

i thought gaustad was the only one that played some physical hockey...

this might just not not be a good team...and now comes the true test of a fanbase. is it a bandwagon town and the sellouts turn in to crowds of 12k-13k or do people stay with them while they work through this...

I honestly don't think it's that easy.

I mean it's one thing to call bandwagon if you're seeing attendance drop on a team that's just plain losing games, but I think this is a little different.

What we're talking about here is not a team losing games as such - What we're talking about is a team that has struggled for years with physical teams, and at the same time are very streaky. They're great when they're winning, and they're truly piss-poor when losing.

Like I said, this has gone on for years. The coach knows it. The GM knows it. The "managing partner" knows it. The owner knows it.

Yet management are showing no will to improve the situation. Now, I'm not talking about upping the payroll by 10 mill. here, what I'm talking about is that management needs to acknowledge that the current group of players will never become a better on-ice product than what we're seeing now. Great at times, horrendous at other times.

If management were seeking to improve the situation, they would take measures to get one or two players in here of a different mold than our current forwards, who in general are smallish and soft along the boards, and perhaps move one of our so-called "puck moving defensemen" for a true stay-at-home blueliner sheriff.

So no, I don't think it's fair to call everyone who's seen the same problems showcased night after night for the past 3 years a bandwagon fan, just cause they're getting a little tired of the same old routines.

Are there bandwagon fans? Of course, but I honestly believe most of them jumped off last year. The rest of the fanbase just wants to see a team and an organisation that are trying their hardest. Currently, this is not the case. Who could blame them for not going to games then? We go to be entertained, and currently the Sabres are anything but.

Archived