Trouble in Ranger Land

bottlecap

I will argue the depth of roster compared to the Sabres being better. Gomez is better than any of our face-off guys right now. Youth and chemistry go to BUF. The biggest separation is the defense, considering they have Kalinin. In a playoff series like the last one (theres no Jagr obviously, or Shanahan or Avery) All you need to worry about is Dubinsky, Callahan, Voros & Drury I guess offensively. Lundquist like Brodeur must win series with defensive support which is suspect at this point.

Team Offense goes to Sabres

Team Defense goes to Sabres

Goaltending, I'll give to Rangers based on an individual basis

Injuries is an obvious key, but no excuse.

I dont know if you can argue about roster depth..Looks to me the Sabes have found there rudderless ship again..Youth and chemistry goes so far..You still need someone to stop the team from crapping its pants when things go bad and they still havent found that player...

I dont know if you can argue about roster depth..Looks to me the Sabes have found there rudderless ship again..Youth and chemistry goes so far..You still need someone to stop the team from crapping its pants when things go bad and they still havent found that player...

It could be that element or coaching. Beyond coaching, the players performance. I will wonder when these lines on the Off & Def, get switched up; there is no sparks out there with Poms at all. We have kept Ellis, Peters, Kaleta with active minutes to stir the pot for what? Why does it take a Rivet or Hecht to motivate these guys? I sense that these guys are responsible players and play the "system" but there's little personality. When they start having fun, they get their handed to them the next night.

I'm still believe that the roster depth between Portland & Buff is stronger the NYR & Wolfpack rosters. Why wont the Rangers take on Shanny?

People blame the Alyssa Milano thread for the Sabres poor play but I think it is all this talk about the Rangers! Are we Sabres fans or Rangers fans? Toss this thread onto a loser Rangers message board!

I'll second that.

Alyssa seems to be jinxed, but I think we lose the most when GDT's are started the day before the game.

You still need someone to stop the team from crapping its pants when things go bad and they still haven't found that player...

I don't know. They were 5-0-1 with Rivet in the lineup, including holding leads, making comebacks and winning physical battles. I would say that they need another, because it's too easy to lose one player for periods of time. I would like a comparable player on offense ... perhaps a second-line center? ;)

I don't know. They were 5-0-1 with Rivet in the lineup, including holding leads, making comebacks and winning physical battles. I would say that they need another, because it's too easy to lose one player for periods of time. I would like a comparable player on offense ... perhaps a second-line center? ;)

I agree..But the way our lone center has been playing we could probably use 2 real ones to addd to Roy ...

Shanahan is available. I hear he's almost a lock on the Flyers and the Blues are interested

too but I wouldn't mind having his Stanley Cups, leadership, penalty killing and legendary

one-timer from the high slot on our side.

meanwhile the ragging on the rangers continues after almost getting shut out by the Islanders last night.

Drury (2 G, 3 A) with the 2 goals coming in one game against the Islanders --hardly Captain Clutch.

meanwhile the ragging on the rangers continues after almost getting shut out by the Islanders last night.

Drury (2 G, 3 A) with the 2 goals coming in one game against the Islanders --hardly Captain Clutch.

I've been pretty clear about my thoughts on the whole Drury myth over the last two years, but it's pretty hard to be "clutch" 15 games into the season.

Shanahan is available. I hear he's almost a lock on the Flyers and the Blues are interested

too but I wouldn't mind having his Stanley Cups, leadership, penalty killing and legendary

Wouldn't mind Shanny one bit, but it's not gonna happen.

As for being "Clutch", isn't that something you are when nobody else is? Right now the Rags are winning games without Drury contributing, so technically they don't "need" him to be clutch.

At this point, he's just overpaid, but we'll see what happens later in the season/playoffs. Things can change real fast.

Pretty amusing that you feel you must take a shot at Drury and the Rangers after everyone of their rare losses. I think everyone in Ranger Land will be alright if they lose 4 times in regulation out of every 15 games they play.

They will be ecstatic if Drury just happens to be in the right place at the right time in May and June. I'm sure we will hear how it was all because of Sundin or Dubinsky or Gomez that he was able to stand off to the side of the net while everyone was working, but he and the fans will be alright with that too.

Pretty amusing that you feel you must take a shot at Drury and the Rangers after everyone of their rare losses. I think everyone in Ranger Land will be alright if they lose 4 times in regulation out of every 15 games they play.

They will be ecstatic if Drury just happens to be in the right place at the right time in May and June. I'm sure we will hear how it was all because of Sundin or Dubinsky or Gomez that he was able to stand off to the side of the net while everyone was working, but he and the fans will be alright with that too.

And i think it's amusing that you always praise a team and Drury, for over achieving EARLY in the season.

I could honestly careless about the NYR or Chris Drury, however, i realize everyone is allowed to go on slumps, even we did, but i think it's getting pretty obvious they are not as good as their record shows. They beat Atlanta 3-2, but according to many, that was the worst game they played all season. Then gave up a 2-0 lead to Toronto and lost 5-2 and last night lose to the Isles 2-1. They are good, and as i said, will most likey be there in the playoff race and might sneak in, but they are far from a lock.

Oh, and Drury, is playing like pure garbage, still. For those keeping track.

And Dubinsky? He's garbage. Been nowhere last 2 weeks. He totally over achieved and now has hit reality. Same with that Aaron Voros kid.

And i think it's amusing that you always praise a team and Drury, for over achieving EARLY in the season.

I could honestly careless about the NYR or Chris Drury, however, i realize everyone is allowed to go on slumps, even we did, but i think it's getting pretty obvious they are not as good as their record shows. They beat Atlanta 3-2, but according to many, that was the worst game they played all season. Then gave up a 2-0 lead to Toronto and lost 5-2 and last night lose to the Isles 2-1. They are good, and as i said, will most likey be there in the playoff race and might sneak in, but they are far from a lock.

Oh, and Drury, is playing like pure garbage, still. For those keeping track.

And Dubinsky? He's garbage. Been nowhere last 2 weeks. He totally over achieved and now has hit reality. Same with that Aaron Voros kid.

Time will tell. I have no problem with you. At least you are consistent. The same things you criticize the Rangers for you ignore for your team. By your logic, Roy is garbage as he hasn't done anything yet and as for the Sabres' who have they beaten that wasn't

a) Playing their back up goalie

b) playing their second game in two nights

c) just not on top of their game

In the end, its a long season and to read too much into the first twelve games is worthless either in the pro or con. Both the Rangers and the Sabres will likely finish in the top 5 but if I had to pick one or the other, the Rangers are the better team now. The Sabres, however, if they can get either Stafford playing at a higher level or move Max for a better veteran forward, could be right there.

As for your comment on Dubinsky, if you are speaking as an irrational fan who hates the Rangers fine, if your are giving your educated opinion, you really know very little about hockey.

He's a solid, two-way second line center, but more often than not he's not going to lead the team in scoring and he's not going to lead the team in hits. He does a pretty decent job playing against other teams' top offensive players and is usually good for ~25 goals and ~45-60 points.

He benefited enormously from the particular dynamics of that Sabres team. He was the best 2-way player on a team with many excellent one-way players, so his talents fit the team perfectly.

While it's not rare for players in his situation to hit it big in free agency, it's extremely rare that they live up to the promise of that new contract.

He benefited enormously from the particular dynamics of that Sabres team. He was the best 2-way player on a team with many excellent one-way players, so his talents fit the team perfectly.
Absolutely. His offensive numbers benefited enormously from the system and the makeup of the team, but I don't want to take anything away from the fact that Drury has always been a solid two-way guy who could chip in 50-60 points.

While it's not rare for players in his situation to hit it big in free agency, it's extremely rare that they live up to the promise of that new contract.

No argument here about him hitting it big and getting way overpaid by the Rags. I wanted to keep Dru as much as anyone, but not at $7M+.

Time will tell. I have no problem with you. At least you are consistent. The same things you criticize the Rangers for you ignore for your team. By your logic, Roy is garbage as he hasn't done anything yet and as for the Sabres' who have they beaten that wasn't

a) Playing their back up goalie

b) playing their second game in two nights

c) just not on top of their game

In the end, its a long season and to read too much into the first twelve games is worthless either in the pro or con. Both the Rangers and the Sabres will likely finish in the top 5 but if I had to pick one or the other, the Rangers are the better team now. The Sabres, however, if they can get either Stafford playing at a higher level or move Max for a better veteran forward, could be right there.

As for your comment on Dubinsky, if you are speaking as an irrational fan who hates the Rangers fine, if your are giving your educated opinion, you really know very little about hockey.

Dude, seriously, you really need to let go of Chris Drury. Your man love for the dude is causing you to diss your own team. Come on man, that just ain't right.

1. Montreal with Carey Price

2. @ New York Rangers with Lundqvist

3. @ Minnesota with Backstrom

4. Washington with Theodore

That's 4 solid teams, and the first 3 are some of the best defenses in the league. The part C is just plain stupid, i don't know why you'd even bring it up. Right before the Ottawa home game which we got killed by, Sabres had the toughest strength of schedule in the league. I didn't look it up, i think it was mentioned here but also WGR.

Now, about Derek Roy ($ 4 million cap hit) has 2 goals and 4 assists. Is also a +2. And i've several times called him out in several posts.

You butt-buddy Chris Drury ($7 million cap hit) has 2 goals, 3 assists. He's a -5.

He also played more games and one of his goals was the biggest fluke goal of the year.

Now about Dubinsky. I've seen him play several times this season and i really think he over achieved. Slapshop going high, hits Martin Brodeur glove and goes in. I guess when you're getting lucky, breaks come more frequently. In the LAST 10 games, Dubs has 1 goal, 3 assists and a -1.

In THE HOCKEY NEWS fantasy preview magazine (Ovechkin on cover), it predicts stats on players.

On you're boy Dubs-

"Dubinsky has a sensational rookie season, but he also played with talented players, so don't get overly excited. He has never been a huge scorer so don't expect much more." They have him "projected" at 15g, 20a". Statistically, he's on pace to beat that, but if you look into his hot start, i'm not too sure if he will. He's cooled off and now being moved around lines. I believe last night he played on the 3rd line.

And as for my hate for NYR? I don't hate anyone. I don't hate Drury. This is a discussion forum and when someone comes on and sucks the NYR off because their off to a great start, i'm gonna post MY opinion on why i think you're wrong. Dubs doesn't impress me, and you MOCK my hockey IQ, but he also doesn't impress the Hockey News. Sorry, i'm NOT a fan of Dubs. And i'm not a big fan of the NYR as a team. I could careless for them. I follow hockey very closely and watch many games. It's my opinion that the NYR have a bad offensive team and take stupid penalties which will cost them. Right now, they are i think the best or second best Penalty Killing team in the league. Betts has been amazing for them. You have to wonder if that will keep up? With all the come back wins they have, and all the close wins they have, and the lack of scoring they have, if their PK goes down under and drops from top 3 in the NHL to say 10th, which still is VERY HIGH, how many more games would they lose?

What happens when Zherdev and Naslund come back to earth? Even if it's only for a month? This team has too many questions, too little anwsers and that's why they won't finish top 2 in their division. With the NJD facing a major issue, it boosts NYR chances so much more.

Anyways, i love discussing hockey with you, if it's Tampa, NYR, or our own Sabres, but seriously, don't mock my hockey IQ because i'm not a big fan of a 22 year old who had 40pt in the AHL (70 games), 40 pt rookie year and off to a good start. Is there a chance Dubs can become like a Bertuzzi? Sure.... is there a chance he'll be a Jaime Lundmark? Sure.

Dude, seriously, you really need to let go of Chris Drury. Your man love for the dude is causing you to diss your own team. Come on man, that just ain't right.

1. Montreal with Carey Price

2. @ New York Rangers with Lundqvist

3. @ Minnesota with Backstrom

4. Washington with Theodore

That's 4 solid teams, and the first 3 are some of the best defenses in the league. The part C is just plain stupid, i don't know why you'd even bring it up. Right before the Ottawa home game which we got killed by, Sabres had the toughest strength of schedule in the league. I didn't look it up, i think it was mentioned here but also WGR.

Now, about Derek Roy ($ 4 million cap hit) has 2 goals and 4 assists. Is also a +2. And i've several times called him out in several posts.

You butt-buddy Chris Drury ($7 million cap hit) has 2 goals, 3 assists. He's a -5.

He also played more games and one of his goals was the biggest fluke goal of the year.

Now about Dubinsky. I've seen him play several times this season and i really think he over achieved. Slapshop going high, hits Martin Brodeur glove and goes in. I guess when you're getting lucky, breaks come more frequently. In the LAST 10 games, Dubs has 1 goal, 3 assists and a -1.

In THE HOCKEY NEWS fantasy preview magazine (Ovechkin on cover), it predicts stats on players.

On you're boy Dubs-

"Dubinsky has a sensational rookie season, but he also played with talented players, so don't get overly excited. He has never been a huge scorer so don't expect much more." They have him "projected" at 15g, 20a". Statistically, he's on pace to beat that, but if you look into his hot start, i'm not too sure if he will. He's cooled off and now being moved around lines. I believe last night he played on the 3rd line.

And as for my hate for NYR? I don't hate anyone. I don't hate Drury. This is a discussion forum and when someone comes on and sucks the NYR off because their off to a great start, i'm gonna post MY opinion on why i think you're wrong. Dubs doesn't impress me, and you MOCK my hockey IQ, but he also doesn't impress the Hockey News. Sorry, i'm NOT a fan of Dubs. And i'm not a big fan of the NYR as a team. I could careless for them. I follow hockey very closely and watch many games. It's my opinion that the NYR have a bad offensive team and take stupid penalties which will cost them. Right now, they are i think the best or second best Penalty Killing team in the league. Betts has been amazing for them. You have to wonder if that will keep up? With all the come back wins they have, and all the close wins they have, and the lack of scoring they have, if their PK goes down under and drops from top 3 in the NHL to say 10th, which still is VERY HIGH, how many more games would they lose?

What happens when Zherdev and Naslund come back to earth? Even if it's only for a month? This team has too many questions, too little anwsers and that's why they won't finish top 2 in their division. With the NJD facing a major issue, it boosts NYR chances so much more.

Anyways, i love discussing hockey with you, if it's Tampa, NYR, or our own Sabres, but seriously, don't mock my hockey IQ because i'm not a big fan of a 22 year old who had 40pt in the AHL (70 games), 40 pt rookie year and off to a good start. Is there a chance Dubs can become like a Bertuzzi? Sure.... is there a chance he'll be a Jaime Lundmark? Sure.

Now wait a minute.

You completely rip the Rangers but want to count them as a quality win for Buffalo???

And Theodore is a joke and will be the single biggest reason that the Capitals won't be among the league's elite.

As for the Hockey News and Dubinsky, they like a lot of people said the same thing about Vanek and Roy's numbers as third liners benefiting from Drury and Briere and they were wrong then too. Dubinsky will be a stud and will sign a $3.5 million contract this off season.

Zherdev scored 25 goals with the Blue Jackets, I think he will be alright.

One final thought to leave you with, the Rangers have a younger average age then the Sabres. I am not a huge fan of theirs either and while I would love to have Drury as my second center as opposed to either Hecht or Connolly, I think the Rangers grossly overpaid for him. My only posts with regards to them has been because the anti-Drury people have used their four losses to jump all over them but remain silent as they push their way to the top of the Conference.

I love taking shots at expensive big city teams that aren't producing. Makes us look better. They got off to a good start, now reality is setting in. We'll see where they'll be in May or June. Renney probably won't be there by then.

One final thought to leave you with, the Rangers have a younger average age then the Sabres. I am not a huge fan of theirs either and while I would love to have Drury as my second center as opposed to either Hecht or Connolly, I think the Rangers grossly overpaid for him. My only posts with regards to them has been because the anti-Drury people have used their four losses to jump all over them but remain silent as they push their way to the top of the Conference.

I was never Drury's biggest fan and I love the fact that the Rangers overpaid him and his numbers are down. I will revel in this whether the Rangers are winning or losing.

It still pisses me off that Quinny was ready to match any offer(at least that is what he said after the fact).

I love taking shots at expensive big city teams that aren't producing. Makes us look better. They got off to a good start, now reality is setting in. We'll see where they'll be in May or June. Renney probably won't be there by then.

There aren't many teams I dislike, but the Rangers are definitely one of them -- for the reason you mentioned, and because of Drury. But to say they "aren't producing" is a bit of an overstatement. They are 10-4-1, have won 3 of their last 5 and are in 1st place in the Eastern Conference. (I know, they've played 3 more games than we have, but they also have 2 more wins than we do). I was hoping they'd take a big fall this year, but they are going to be very tough all year. They have good coaching, good goaltending and play great team defense. And let's not kid ourselves -- we'd all take Drury back in a heartbeat at the deal we were supposed to sign him to.

Archived