Trouble in Ranger Land

bottlecap

The other night, purse-waiving Sean Avery got into it with John Giannone, shouting personal remarks about the Rangers' announcer's wife.

That along with three consecutive losses and other revelations, like the fan's dislike of Chris Drury,* has thrown a monkey wrench into the early-season NHL darling Rangers.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/10/21/s...ng-microphones/

* One fan's comment on the message board:

The Drury situation is becoming ridiculous. He played in all 9 games, averaged just over 20 minutes of icetime which is 4th top on the team, and all he has to show for it is 1 assist AND he is the Captain, and he is making 7.1 million and he has a no trade clause. Why does he get the free pass? Why he isn?t being held accountable by beibg scratched or benched or waived or bought out. The guy is 32, not hitting, not scoring, he is not needed. Prucha or Fritsche or Korpikoski are much more effective players. How many more games do we wait to say enough is enough with Drury?

The other night, purse-waiving Sean Avery got into it with John Giannone, shouting personal remarks about the Rangers' announcer's wife.

That along with three consecutive losses and other revelations, like the fan's dislike of Chris Drury,* has thrown a monkey wrench into the early-season NHL darling Rangers.

The Drury situation is becoming ridiculous. He played in all 9 games, averaged just over 20 minutes of icetime which is 4th top on the team, and all he has to show for it is 1 assist AND he is the Captain, and he is making 7.1 million and he has a no trade clause. Why does he get the free pass? Why he isn?t being held accountable by beibg scratched or benched or waived or bought out. The guy is 32, not hitting, not scoring, he is not needed. Prucha or Fritsche or Korpikoski are much more effective players. How many more games do we wait to say enough is enough with Drury?

As painful a decision as it was, I dropped him from my fantasy lineup... No production at all through 10% of the season..

Although I have no love lost for Drury since he decided to play for the Rags, you can't help but wonder if he's one of those unfortunate guys whose legs just quits on him, all of the sudden.

Not everyone can play well into their thirties, even if there's no real history of injury. Plus, Drury's usually been on teams that have gone fairly deep in the post-season, so who knows?

Chances are we're just talking a nice, ugly cold-streak, but the way he was beaten on both Vanek's goals the other night just seems very unlike him.

I mean, even though Vanek is playing lights out, when was the last time he beat Drury in a speed-skating contest? And TWICE?

I'm thinking Drury either came to camp out of shape, or needs to miss the playoffs for a year or two to get them batteries recharged properly.

Either way, I'm happy there's trouble in Ranger-land :thumbsup:

So here is a player who is crap in the critical scoring of goals and registering assists department. Mediocre on face offs. And doesn?t take the body and play a physical game. And he is our captain! Well, you know what, whether he wears the ?C? or not, Brandon Dubinsky is our DE FACTO captain, and that is how I am going to look at it, from now on, Sather and Renney?s lethargy at stripping Drury of his captaincy be damned. And who was in Avery?s face on his first shift when Avery started trashing Hank? Dubinsky, of course.

Look at it this way: the ?C? on Drury?s jersey means ?Coward.? A ?C? on Dubinsky?s jersey would mean ?Couragious.?

Glad I didn't say this...

interesting theory on drury being out of gas. but i sort of tend to doubt that's the case. still, worth pondering.

given his heroics in buffalo -- e.g., the game 1 barn burner v. ott'wa and the tighty-whitey game 5 v. the blue shirts -- it's easy to forget that there were significant stretches of time in the regular season when drury was awfully quiet, both on the stat sheet and otherwise. there was a cadre of members here who pointed that fact out when the sky was pronounced as falling when we failed to retain him (i was quietly aligned with the chicken littles).

i still think the guy can get it done. but i am so frickin' glad to read that (i) he's not getting it done and (ii) there may be some unrest at msg.

Chris Drury is a very solid NHL player, he's just not a top line center.

I don't think anyone has ever tried to pass him off as a top line center, and that's where the Rags screwed up - in paying him like a top-line center.

He's a solid, two-way second line center, but more often than not he's not going to lead the team in scoring and he's not going to lead the team in hits. He does a pretty decent job playing against other teams' top offensive players and is usually good for ~25 goals and ~45-60 points.

I don't know that you can call some over-reacting fans "Trouble in Ranger land" ... yeah, Drury has been bad so far, and they overpaid for him, but I doubt very seriously he has hit "the wall" for his career or that he is going to be the Rangers' downfall this season.

Agreed. I don't know if anyone browses the comments in the Sabres Edge BN blog, but there are some really uninformed, idiotic posts there as well. Heck, there are a handful here, and over on TSW I just saw another "Regier is an idiot" comment for letting Kalinin walk and not getting something for him.

Agreed. I don't know if anyone browses the comments in the Sabres Edge BN blog, but there are some really uninformed, idiotic posts there as well. Heck, there are a handful here, and over on TSW I just saw another "Regier is an idiot" comment for letting Kalinin walk and not getting something for him.

What a "bag of pucks"? we've lots of those.

His numbers here were a product of the system. He'll bounce back a bit, but he'll never come near those figures ever again. I was talking to someone about this yesterday. He landed that contract thanks mostly to all the over the top media hype he got in the last year and a half here. The team as a whole was clicking, so all the attention flocked to the guys with the C's on their jerseys.

The one thing that really stands out to me is how quickly things have changed. With all the complaning over what happened last year, you'd see random comments about how these contracts will look 3 or 4 years down the road. I figured 2-3 years, but the potential of Vanek longterm is already looking far more appealing that Drury on a longterm deal. It's still early and I'm sure he'll bounce back, but things definitely look different now.

lol yeah some people never stop surprising me. But Kalinin has been very solid for the NYR but he had no value with us and like 99% of our fan base wanted him out... and now people are mad we didn't get anything for him. lol

That's more of a product of where you play and who you play with. He was on the first D pair in Buffalo with Tallinder and now is on the Third with Mara. He has been playing solid for them and while he was here we were still an offensive minded team that didn't back check or play D too well.

Either way, good for him that he's found his place.

I don't think anyone has ever tried to pass him off as a top line center, and that's where the Rags screwed up - in paying him like a top-line center.

Wasn't he a top line center for us....

and.................... he's not worth 7.1 million on the Rangers, let alone Buffalo.

I know a lot of us were crushed when we lost Briere and Drury, but truthfully, aren't you happier to have Vanek and Pommers and Roy and all the other guys they locked up for the next 4 to 5 years?

love the team, not the number.

hopefully we can get thru this next few weeks without Rivet. Tough games with Minny and Ottawa coming up.

Wait, I thought Redden was one of the top 5 defensemen in the league...? They sure paid him like one. Wasn't he supposed to be the missing link for them? :rolleyes:

LOL @ the purse-waving comment. Did anyone see his interview on CBC with George Stambo-something (if anyone can spell that you are my hero). Avery is a bizarre person IMO. "I love clothes and I love fashion".

btw anyone else notice the Cryers are at the bottom of the NHL with a mere 2 pts?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/

My brother has a saying, "I hate every other team, it's just to varying degrees". Well I don't think there is a team I hate any more than the Cry-boys. Some of my favorite Sabres memories are the playoff victories over the overconfident Flyers and fans. (And of course, my favorite to date was the belting of Umberger by Campbell.)

On a related note, it is interesting that 2 years ago many of us (myself included) felt cheated that the Sabres let Drury and Briere go. I think Reiger is deserving of a lot of praise and trust. It's clear he does not hold the purse strings, but the guy makes do with what he has.

btw anyone else notice the Cryers are at the bottom of the NHL with a mere 2 pts?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings/

Indeed they are, as shoddy goaltending has come back to haunt them yet again.

I guess they're finally figuring out what they got in Marty, which is an average goalie capable of going on the occasional tear, and Nittymaki is #%^$#! as always.

Wow, I wonder if any of our posters are being quoted as speaker for the masses?

His numbers here were a product of the system. He'll bounce back a bit, but he'll never come near those figures ever again. I was talking to someone about this yesterday. He landed that contract thanks mostly to all the over the top media hype he got in the last year and a half here. The team as a whole was clicking, so all the attention flocked to the guys with the C's on their jerseys.

The one thing that really stands out to me is how quickly things have changed. With all the complaning over what happened last year, you'd see random comments about how these contracts will look 3 or 4 years down the road. I figured 2-3 years, but the potential of Vanek longterm is already looking far more appealing that Drury on a longterm deal. It's still early and I'm sure he'll bounce back, but things definitely look different now.

His numbers were inflated by the system and the new NHL, but aside from his 06-07 goal total, they weren't that far out of whack from the rest of his career numbers.

As I pointed out earlier - he's good for around 25 goals and (I'm amending this slightly) around 60-65 points per year. Solid numbers for a no.2 center, but not quite good enough as a no.1.

Archived