Meet your new captain...

LabattBlue

Mostly becase anyone who can effectively perform that backhand shot is going to put it in the net. I don't think people realize just how difficult it is to save that shot. Really, only a lefthanded goalie stands a decent chance at making that save.

I don't want to perpetuate this hijack much longer, but I want to be clear that I'm not mocking his SO skills. I'm glad we have one guy that we can count on scoring 50-75% of the time. I wish some of our other skill guys were as reliable in the SO - Roy, Pommer, Vanek and Max have been big disappointments in their 1-on-1 opportunities.

I would have gone with a more situational scheme. A 5 on 5 Captain, a PP Captain, a PK Captain, a Captain when we have the lead, when we are trailing, etc...

:lol: I don't like the 4 assistants, but I'll cut Lindy some slack as I hated the rotating captain and even the co-captains.

Stupid question, but how do you quote several posts in the same post. Cut and paste? I'm really being lazy, but I have no idea and I'm looking for another reason for everyone to pile on me. :blush:

That little tab labeled "quote". Not sure what the limit is but I've had up to five.

If I knew you were this far behind the action, I would push the envelope more often.

Stupid question, but how do you quote several posts in the same post. Cut and paste? I'm really being lazy, but I have no idea and I'm looking for another reason for everyone to pile on me. :blush:

Pick "Quote" on each post you want to quote and then pick "Add reply" at bottom.

Ah, I almost missed you there SDS ;)

To answer your question - No, I was usually picked 3rd or 4th, meaning I was nothing flashy but knew my way around most sports.

*edit except basketball to which I was awful.

Nowhere near your league :thumbsup:

Should we try and keep things on topic, and perhaps leave the personal attacks t? PM's if we MUST have them?

People who usually make such grossly out of touch comments are those farthest away from ever playing a sport... any sport.

Multi-million dollar, 20-something year old players aren't supposed to talk about eating after losing a game? :rolleyes: What exactly is the appropriate set of topics they should be allowed to discuss? I assume they should all sit in the corner and think about how they have been bad little boys?

Why would you expect other people to behave in such absurd extremes when you would never dream of behaving that way yourself?

People who usually make such grossly out of touch comments are those farthest away from ever playing a sport... any sport.

Multi-million dollar, 20-something year old players aren't supposed to talk about eating after losing a game? :rolleyes: What exactly is the appropriate set of topics they should be allowed to discuss? I assume they should all sit in the corner and think about how they have been bad little boys?

Why would you expect other people to behave in such absurd extremes when you would never dream of behaving that way yourself?

Whatever floats your boat.

I gave you an honest answer to question you weren't really seeking a reply to, that's not really my problem.

Basically what you're doing is taking a remark I merely chose to illustrate the situation in the locker room the past season, as I see it and turn into some personal thing.

Do I know what's going on in the Sabres locker room? Of course not, but neither do any of us. We guess. That's what fans do.

So to put it in terms you may not find as offensive - "I wasn't happy with how I THINK the locker room responded to poor play and personal mistakes last season, I think it will be better this year".

Good enough for you? Are we done here and can keep discussing the topic at hand?

Does the "C" now give him legal right to smack Lydman and Tallinder when they have their daily "brain fart" in their own zone? Let's hope so.

I think this just confirms what many of us already expected...there was not a real leader in that locker room last season.

Not only did the fans see it obviously the players new it also..What a waste last year was..In hindsight the players were looking for someone to take the bull by the horns and no one stepped up into a leadership roleand no one really wanted too it looks like...They passed it off to the first one with a set between thier legs..

:lol: I don't like the 4 assistants, but I'll cut Lindy some slack as I hated the rotating captain and even the co-captains.

Obviously they are trying to develop a young player inot a leadership role without letting the season go rudderless like last year..Not a bad move for now I think

Not only did the fans see it obviously the players new it also..What a waste last year was..In hindsight the players were looking for someone to take the bull by the horns and no one stepped up into a leadership roleand no one really wanted too it looks like...They passed it off to the first one with a set between thier legs..

Obviously they are trying to develop a young player inot a leadership role without letting the season go rudderless like last year..Not a bad move for now I think

Never really looked at it that way, but it makes sense.

What it does say however, is that even the guys on the team were looking for some veteran leadership especially with Teppo out, as others have stated many times.

Never really looked at it that way, but it makes sense.

What it does say however, is that even the guys on the team were looking for some veteran leadership especially with Teppo out, as others have stated many times.

I agree..It makes you wonder though about the character of the young guys on this team..Are they going to develop or are they going to have to go outside for leadership at every captain change..Who was the last captain the sSabres drafted??Mike Ramsey????

I absolutely love this choice! Love it! I was hesitant about giving the C to Rivet because he's so new to the team, but frankly, when you see how he plays the game, what he brings, and the fact that he stands up for the team, the goalie and the other players, I love it! The other four guys with the As are all the right guys to be wearing the As, and I even suggested in another thread a rotating A situation. But yes, Hecht, Pominville, Teppo, and Spacek wearing the A are the right four guys and I love that Rivet wears the C. Hopefully, this team will become grittier and play in the mold of Rivet.

I think it is a good choice as always. From the interviews they've had, I've like the way he responds to questions and seems confident about things. We'll get it done attitude, not a we're working on it and improving attitude. Plus, I think he'll rub off on the younger guys so that when he does end up retiring/moving on, the younger guys will have learned even more about leadership.

Well thats one way to get the whole rooms attention, but things could get sticky... :blush:

I think it says less about last years Sabres than it does about Craig Rivet.

If they slapped the C on Pomminstein nobody would have blinked.

I guess I'm old school... I thought you earned the C. Not yet playing a meaningful game and barely playing in the preseason doesn't quite cut it in my book. I wanted Roy. Now I know why Lindy didn't ask me..

I guess I'm old school... I thought you earned the C. Not yet playing a meaningful game and barely playing in the preseason doesn't quite cut it in my book. I wanted Roy. Now I know why Lindy didn't ask me..

And that's the problem with the players on this team. Obviously none of them believe they are capable of earning the C, so why not give it to the guy who (with the exception of Weber, Kaleta, and Gerbe) was the only one who showed any kind of stones in the preseason. Rivet earned the job just by showing up and playing his game. It's not his fault everyone else lacks the balls to lead.

Archived