Meet your new captain...

LabattBlue

Shocker. Like someone else posted in one of the other threads, how can you give it to someone who has yet to play a regular season game for Buffalo? I understand he has experience, and all...but I really thought it would be someone who know the players a little better. Not disappointed, just shocked.

Hmmm...initial reaction? I'm not totally opposed I guess. He could have what it takes to change the attitude of this team, which in my humble opinion needs some man pills. But I am also sad that someone who has been through a lot with this team, someone like POMMERS, got looked over. Ah well.

Onward folks! Let's now get down to just playing hockey. No more distractions. Key players are locked up...new permanent captain...my Direct TV is being installed as I write. I'm ready.

I see 3 main reasons why it was Rivet:

1. Lindy's a traditionalist. The way he sees it, guys who've been in the NHL for 2 or 3 years aren't captains.

2. This team suffered from a glaring lack of leadership last year. I like Pommer and Roy, but if they "led" the team anywhere last year, it was straight into the dumper.

3. (Most important reason): Rivet is a rock. He started at least 2 fights this preseason in immediate response to Miller getting run. He is also a very, very good defenseman. I am confidently predicting that everyone here is VERY happy with this choice by November 1.

Any news on the As?

Go Sabres.

I think Pommer or Roy will have it in a couple of years, but right now, neither is ready to make this team change its attitude. Rivet will do this. He's a no-nonsense, hard-working veteran that will change the complexion of this team. I was happy that DR brought him in and now they've put him in a position to change this team for the better. I agree that it's preferable to give it to somebody that has earned it as a Sabre, but I'm not sure that there is anyone who has done that and has the attitude and presence needed right now. They've locked up a core group of young players, but that doesn't mean bringing in somebody to shake things up is a bad idea. Rivet seems like the type of guy that will take the responsibility very seriously, but also the type that will be happy to hand it over to a younger guy when one (and the team) is ready. Besides, Lindy said that the team had a vote, so obviously they seem on board with the idea.

I see 3 main reasons why it was Rivet:

1. Lindy's a traditionalist. The way he sees it, guys who've been in the NHL for 2 or 3 years aren't captains.

2. This team suffered from a glaring lack of leadership last year. I like Pommer and Roy, but if they "led" the team anywhere last year, it was straight into the dumper.

3. (Most important reason): Rivet is a rock. He started at least 2 fights this preseason in immediate response to Miller getting run. He is also a very, very good defenseman. I am confidently predicting that everyone here is VERY happy with this choice by November 1.

Any news on the As?

Go Sabres.

Absolutely agree with above and second it as a great choice and last I love the message it sends about what Lindy wants more out of the team this year which is better defense and grit.

Now let's see who else stands up to that challenge with the new 'mon cappi tan'.. :thumbsup:

Jason Pominville, Teppo Numminen, Jaroslav Spacek and Jochen Hecht were named alternates. Ruff said two will serve at home, two on the road.

And still was able to keep some of his rotation/reward philosophy alive and working. Nice...... come on now when's that season start... :chris:

Now one more domino to fall, Any word on the final line-ups?

Excellent choice, and really the only rational one.

Rivet has experience, plays with both skill and grit in his own end, and leads by example.

I guarantee you, he won't let anyone take a shift off this season.

Thing is, there is way too much buddy-buddy on this team, which is what usually happens when the same guys come through the same system together. Not necessarily a bad thing altogether, but if it takes over the locker room, you're in trouble.

This team has needed outside influence for years, Ruff recognises this and I believe that he fears this is all he'll be getting. Hence, he wants to make sure he makes the most of it.

I like it - The Sabres locker room just became a place where you do NOT want to be the guy who gave the puck away at your own blue line, deep in the 3rd.

Last year it was a place where people discussed where to have dinner after the game.

Archived