Meet your new captain...

LabattBlue

And that's the problem with the players on this team. Obviously none of them believe they are capable of earning the C, so why not give it to the guy who (with the exception of Weber, Kaleta, and Gerbe) was the only one who showed any kind of stones in the preseason. Rivet earned the job just by showing up and playing his game. It's not his fault everyone else lacks the balls to lead.

You don't think that there are some guys like Jason Smith, Bill Geurin, and Craig Rivet that command some instant respect as soon as they arrive? I do.

It's not like Rivet just showed up and won a job from nowhere.

He knows this division - and every Sabre still on the roster from 2005-07

played against him while he was carrying Souray's jock in Montreal.

:lol: I don't like the 4 assistants, but I'll cut Lindy some slack as I hated the rotating captain and even the co-captains.

Agreed! I guess Lindy needed to rotate something, so now its the "A's"

I'm impressed with the Rivet selection. Welcome to 2008 Buffalo Sabres! Nice job on making a decision!

Agreed! I guess Lindy needed to rotate something, so now its the "A's"

I'm impressed with the Rivet selection. Welcome to 2008 Buffalo Sabres! Nice job on making a decision!

It's called a motivational technique. He can't break their knuckles for not towing the line because they can't hold their sticks or a leg because then they don't skate too well. ;)

I think it says less about last years Sabres than it does about Craig Rivet.

If they slapped the C on Pomminstein nobody would have blinked.

I think I will partially disagree here. While I think that Rivet is the right choice, and is highly deserving, I also think that if last year's team had had a Schoenfeld or a Gare (or a Drury), Rivet wouldn't have gotten the C. And if it had been Pommer, I wouldn't have been surprised, but I wouldn't have been psyched either. I think I would have felt a bit fatalistic about the season. Now I'm legitimately psyched again.

You don't think that there are some guys like Jason Smith, Bill Geurin, and Craig Rivet that command some instant respect as soon as they arrive? I do.

It's not like Rivet just showed up and won a job from nowhere.

He knows this division - and every Sabre still on the roster from 2005-07

played against him while he was carrying Souray's jock in Montreal.

Completely agree -- assuming you meant that Rivet was covering Souray's back, not that Rivet was a far inferior player to Souray (and if you meant the latter, then I will disagree again).

Hopefully this eliminates our lack of sack!

It's a good start but one man will not do it it alone. The rest of the boys will need to follow the new captains lead and start bringing a pair to the games instead of leaving them at home like they did last year.

I am primed for this season to start like I read earlier the constant running in to Miller has to stop and with a few examples set by Rivet it will. I just wish Avery was still in the conference to be one of the first to be destroyed. All our boys have to do is follow the lead and a reputation for not putting up with skat is soon to follow.

I think I will partially disagree here. While I think that Rivet is the right choice, and is highly deserving, I also think that if last year's team had had a Schoenfeld or a Gare (or a Drury), Rivet wouldn't have gotten the C. And if it had been Pommer, I wouldn't have been surprised, but I wouldn't have been psyched either. I think I would have felt a bit fatalistic about the season. Now I'm legitimately psyched again.

Completely agree -- assuming you meant that Rivet was covering Souray's back, not that Rivet was a far inferior player to Souray (and if you meant the latter, then I will disagree again).

What I mean is that Souray is such a poor skater that he never would have been an all-star without Rivet.

What message does this send to the players in the locker room that spilled blood and sweat for this franchise? A poor decision IMO.

hopefully that you have to be defensively responsible this year because the captain will get on your ass if you dont. At least thats what I hope the message is.

Lindy said it in his presser. He's not quite the spinner that LQ and DR are, so I tend to believe it.

Except when it comes to injuries, specifically those affecting the Tin Man...

What message does this send to the players in the locker room that spilled blood and sweat for this franchise? A poor decision IMO.

I don't think enough sweat and especially enough blood were spilled by last years team. They were looking for a leader, now they have one.

There goes my Hero

His name is Craig Rivet

Usually, he just isn't forthcoming with information in those cases, using terms like "upper body injury". He doesn't flat out lie.

Well there is a difference between "spin" and "lie." No, he doesn't usually flat-out lie (from what we can tell) but he does spin those situations, gets extremely vague, and is guilty of lying by omission.

Course I do seem to recall a couple times where he indicated that certain players would be ready to play in the next game or couple down the road and then they shut him down, so either those are masterful spins or the player's prognosis degrades so quickly that Lindy can't keep up.

Archived