Meet your new captain...

LabattBlue

Last year it was a place where people discussed where to have dinner after the game.

:rolleyes:

Let me guess - you were always the kid picked last in gym class right? I'm sure you go home everyday and think about nothing else but your job. :rolleyes: Food, family, fun - all distractions to a consummate professional like yourself. You're all about the life insurance.

Excellent choice, and really the only rational one.

Rivet has experience, plays with both skill and grit in his own end, and leads by example.

I guarantee you, he won't let anyone take a shift off this season.

Thing is, there is way too much buddy-buddy on this team, which is what usually happens when the same guys come through the same system together. Not necessarily a bad thing altogether, but if it takes over the locker room, you're in trouble.

This team has needed outside influence for years, Ruff recognises this and I believe that he fears this is all he'll be getting. Hence, he wants to make sure he makes the most of it.

I like it - The Sabres locker room just became a place where you do NOT want to be the guy who gave the puck away at your own blue line, deep in the 3rd.

Last year it was a place where people discussed where to have dinner after the game.

Good point. Let's start a "Buddy buddy thread"

And that's JUST what you want to hear about your favorite team, isn't it? :wallbash:

As I said in a thread about the video on the making of the new third jersey:

[Frank Cravotta] said our players are "fashion forward" (read as metrosexual). Now, is anyone really surprised? I bet you that Rivet is not a fashion forward guy. I bet he wears jean and a flannel on the weekends. *gives manly Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor grunt*

I see 3 main reasons why it was Rivet:

1. Lindy's a traditionalist. The way he sees it, guys who've been in the NHL for 2 or 3 years aren't captains.

2. This team suffered from a glaring lack of leadership last year. I like Pommer and Roy, but if they "led" the team anywhere last year, it was straight into the dumper.

3. (Most important reason): Rivet is a rock. He started at least 2 fights this preseason in immediate response to Miller getting run. He is also a very, very good defenseman. I am confidently predicting that everyone here is VERY happy with this choice by November 1.

Any news on the As?

Go Sabres.

This is great news, the non-response to goalie runs was just embarrassing. The Sabres have been way overdue for getting their sack back!

I think Pommer or Roy will have it in a couple of years, but right now, neither is ready to make this team change its attitude. Rivet will do this. He's a no-nonsense, hard-working veteran that will change the complexion of this team. I was happy that DR brought him in and now they've put him in a position to change this team for the better. I agree that it's preferable to give it to somebody that has earned it as a Sabre, but I'm not sure that there is anyone who has done that and has the attitude and presence needed right now. They've locked up a core group of young players, but that doesn't mean bringing in somebody to shake things up is a bad idea. Rivet seems like the type of guy that will take the responsibility very seriously, but also the type that will be happy to hand it over to a younger guy when one (and the team) is ready. Besides, Lindy said that the team had a vote, so obviously they seem on board with the idea.

Good post.

Excellent choice, and really the only rational one.

Rivet has experience, plays with both skill and grit in his own end, and leads by example.

I guarantee you, he won't let anyone take a shift off this season.

Thing is, there is way too much buddy-buddy on this team, which is what usually happens when the same guys come through the same system together. Not necessarily a bad thing altogether, but if it takes over the locker room, you're in trouble.

This team has needed outside influence for years, Ruff recognises this and I believe that he fears this is all he'll be getting. Hence, he wants to make sure he makes the most of it.

I like it - The Sabres locker room just became a place where you do NOT want to be the guy who gave the puck away at your own blue line, deep in the 3rd.

and another one.

I think it is a good choice as always. From the interviews they've had, I've like the way he responds to questions and seems confident about things. We'll get it done attitude, not a we're working on it and improving attitude. Plus, I think he'll rub off on the younger guys so that when he does end up retiring/moving on, the younger guys will have learned even more about leadership.

Nice! Great choice, IMHO, and one that was predicted by...who was it again?

Predicted by me...

Please note I also predicted the outcomes of the finals and semis as well as the teams last year....

I also predict the firing of Lindy Ruff before the half-way mark of the year.

:rolleyes:

Let me guess - you were always the kid picked last in gym class right? I'm sure you go home everyday and think about nothing else but your job. :rolleyes: Food, family, fun - all distractions to a consummate professional like yourself. You're all about the life insurance.

Ah, I almost missed you there SDS ;)

To answer your question - No, I was usually picked 3rd or 4th, meaning I was nothing flashy but knew my way around most sports.

*edit except basketball to which I was awful.

Nowhere near your league :thumbsup:

Should we try and keep things on topic, and perhaps leave the personal attacks t? PM's if we MUST have them?

Couple more points:

1. with the As for home games being Pommer and Teppo, and for away games being Hecht and Spacek, there will be 2 defensemen and 1 forward wearing letters for each game. Maybe this is an indicator of a more serious approach to defense?

2. for everyone calling for Roy to be captain or alternate: he wasn't a captain during the rotation last year and he's not one of the top 5 guys for letters this year. That says to me that Lindy thinks he's got more growing up to do. Hopefully it keeps Roy hungry. (Same goes for Gaustad.) Letters have to be earned.

I love this news on so many levels. Veteran leader, no-nonsense, tough SOB, a guy who will be out there on the ice and in the thick of things ~20:00 a night, sticks up for his teammates, demands the same from them; and the end of the rotating captaincy.

It says a lot that Rivet hasn't stepped on the ice for a regular season game and the dressing room is already his.

As long as Kotalik could be the 5 on 3 captain. I would be good with that.

:lol:

Hate to correct the Sherpa, but Kotalik is the obvious choice for Shootout Captain.

Does the "C" now give him legal right to smack Lydman and Tallinder when they have their daily "brain fart" in their own zone? Let's hope so.

I think this just confirms what many of us already expected...there was not a real leader in that locker room last season.

A few points to read into this, in my opinion;

1) Hank is soon to be gone. I felt all along that one of the vets would be gone and I with Jaro getting an A, Hank seems to be the fit.

2) Roy, as someone else said, still has some growing to do.

3) As I assume Teppo and Jaro will be gone next year, two of the A's will be open again next year. Roy and Gaustad will haqve another opportunity to earn them.

I love this news on so many levels. Veteran leader, no-nonsense, tough SOB, a guy who will be out there on the ice and in the thick of things ~20:00 a night, sticks up for his teammates, demands the same from them; and the end of the rotating captaincy.

It says a lot that Rivet hasn't stepped on the ice for a regular season game and the dressing room is already his.

Hate to correct the Sherpa, but Kotalik is the obvious choice for Shootout Captain.

Lol yeah - Mr. No-Nonsense-Off-The-Iron-And-In.

No hands, all finish :thumbsup:

1. with the As for home games being Pommer and Teppo, and for away games being Hecht and Spacek, there will be 2 defensemen and 1 forward wearing letters for each game. Maybe this is an indicator of a more serious approach to defense?

Or it means that three of the team's best leaders just happen to play on the blue line.

Lol yeah - Mr. No-Nonsense-Off-The-Iron-And-In.

No hands, all finish :thumbsup:

Hey, his 5-12 numbers were practically legen- wait for it -DARY on last year's squad. He was one of only TWO Sabres to score more than one goal in the shootout (Pominville had two SO goals.)

On most nights he was our only hope of scoring in the SO.

Hey, his 5-12 numbers were practically legen- wait for it -DARY on last year's squad. He was one of only TWO Sabres to score more than one goal in the shootout (Pominville had two SO goals.)

On most nights he was our only hope of scoring in the SO.

I'm not disagreeing.

Usually it works out for him, regardless of his limited stickhandling skills, hence the "all finish" remark.

The year before, he was even better as I recall, with his almost patented forehand/backhand move.

So the team had a vote and they chose Rivet. I thought he was just appointed by Lindy. I like that the players choose him, makes me like him even more. Like wolfie said...he's never played a regular season game for the Sabres and yet he already has the room. Nice.

I'm not disagreeing.

Usually it works out for him, regardless of his limited stickhandling skills, hence the "all finish" remark.

The year before, he was even better as I recall, with his almost patented forehand/backhand move.

Sorry, misinterpreted what you were saying.

BTW, he was 5-for-7 the year before. Not bad for a one-trick pony who has enough size and skills to be a pretty dominating power forward.

Sorry, misinterpreted what you were saying.

BTW, he was 5-for-7 the year before. Not bad for a one-trick pony who has enough size and skills to be a pretty dominating power forward.

Mostly becase anyone who can effectively perform that backhand shot is going to put it in the net. I don't think people realize just how difficult it is to save that shot. Really, only a lefthanded goalie stands a decent chance at making that save.

I see 3 main reasons why it was Rivet:

1. Lindy's a traditionalist. The way he sees it, guys who've been in the NHL for 2 or 3 years aren't captains.

2. This team suffered from a glaring lack of leadership last year. I like Pommer and Roy, but if they "led" the team anywhere last year, it was straight into the dumper.

3. (Most important reason): Rivet is a rock. He started at least 2 fights this preseason in immediate response to Miller getting run. He is also a very, very good defenseman. I am confidently predicting that everyone here is VERY happy with this choice by November 1.

Any news on the As?

Go Sabres.

It wasn't up to Lindy, he let the players vote on it.

Archived