Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Self-assessments for annual reviews are a pain. Will they catch on if I write the same thing each year? Things really haven't changed that much over the past year.

I know a guy here who did exactly that. He cut and pasted his previous year self assessment into the current year form. Nobody said a word to him. Further proof that the process is largely a joke.

I need to complain that I'm soooo not interested in hockey right now.

Despite saying that I was going to catch up on playoffs as they became available on Gamecenter, I haven't watched a single post-season game this year. Oops.

Complaint: long-term, I'm going to need reconstructive surgery on my feet. the last few months I've been having burning/sharp pain in them for a few minutes at a time several times a week. Not quite bad enough that I can't walk, but close. The recovery time for doing each foot serially is +-1 year. How do you choose which year you're going to give up your hobbies?

The pictured is the one that's bothering me. The other foot is actually more misshapen, but isn't bothering me as much right now.

post-1315-0-85487400-1368716689_thumb.png

Edited by MattPie

Despite saying that I was going to catch up on playoffs as they became available on Gamecenter, I haven't watched a single post-season game this year. Oops.

Complaint: long-term, I'm going to need reconstructive surgery on my feet. the last few months I've been having burning/sharp pain in them for a few minutes at a time several times a week. Not quite bad enough that I can't walk, but close. The recovery time for doing each foot serially is +-1 year. How do you choose which year you're going to give up your hobbies?

The pictured is the one that's bothering me. The other foot is actually more misshapen, but isn't bothering me as much right now.

I've got the same choice but with my shoulder. I've got labrum issues that hurt immensely at times. Doc says surgery but I don't have 4-6 months for recovery!

I've got the same choice but with my shoulder. I've got labrum issues that hurt immensely at times. Doc says surgery but I don't have 4-6 months for recovery!

I've got a SLAP tear in my right shoulder which is not susceptible of repairing itself, but I'm having great success with a combination of PT and cortizone. It's hardly sore anymore, and I can once again throw a ball, do most exercises at the gym, etc. Send me a PM if you want details on who I'm seeing.

I've got a SLAP tear in my right shoulder which is not susceptible of repairing itself, but I'm having great success with a combination of PT and cortizone. It's hardly sore anymore, and I can once again throw a ball, do most exercises at the gym, etc. Send me a PM if you want details on who I'm seeing.

This is exactly what I have in the right shoulder (luckily I'm left handed) - a SLAP tear. I also have what my doctor describes to be a "frayed" rotator cuff. The cortizone shots do wonders in that they remove the swelling and the movement is more-or-less normal afterwards. Certain things I can never do again (e.g. incline bench press), you have to do the PT shoulder exercises religiously as you mentioned, and you have to stick to relatively modest weights on all upper-body lifts. But, surgery isn't always mandatory... or at least can be delayed indefinitely until more damage is done.

My complaint is that our son is not born yet! His expected due date is this Saturday so I guess technically he's not late yet. But my poor wife is having a difficult time getting around and it will be better for everyone when he finally enters the world.

I had to put together a list of the projects I'm currently working. This is to review with my supervisor. Only the things I am actively working on a weekly basis. I had to shrink the font and spacing twice to fit it on one page. This made me sad.

My complaint is that our son is not born yet! His expected due date is this Saturday so I guess technically he's not late yet. But my poor wife is having a difficult time getting around and it will be better for everyone when he finally enters the world.

With our son my wife was extremely uncomfortable about a week before her due date, so I took her out to lunch for a spicy mexican meal. Her water broke that night. It's not terribly scientific, but we went for that strategy again with our daughter and it "worked" again. Her water broke within 12 hours of the spicy mexican food.

I also feel the pain of those with shoulder issues, my shoulder is a frayed mess from being a pitcher in high school and some in college. I've learned to live with the discomfort.

With our son my wife was extremely uncomfortable about a week before her due date, so I took her out to lunch for a spicy mexican meal. Her water broke that night. It's not terribly scientific, but we went for that strategy again with our daughter and it "worked" again. Her water broke within 12 hours of the spicy mexican food.

I've tried cooking more spicy food lately but I think we'll try mexican tonight if anything then for luck.

Thank god for ChipotlAway.

Self-assessments for annual reviews are a pain. Will they catch on if I write the same thing each year? Things really haven't changed that much over the past year.

Agreed, and I mostly do the same thing. I will never understand why the annual review process consists primarily of me reviewing myself. I already know how I think I'm doing; I'd much rather know what my boss thinks.

I need to complain that I'm soooo not interested in hockey right now.

THIS.

And the bolded. Although it seems like every time I do actually check GCL, the games are on NBCSN, CBS, etc. so I can't watch anyhow. I just can't bring myself to care enough to watch two days later when they're available.

And WTF is with your foot?! It looks like the x-ray machine was on LSD.

I have to take my car into the dealership for a recall later today. This place offers free wi-fi to their customers, but for whatever reason they block all sports sites. I'm assuming they're just sharing the network their employees use with the customers, but this just seems strange to me.

The highlight of my interaction with the coworker yesterday, after him digging through the lab fridge to find something for an experiment:

him: (holding up a bottle) Is this the OptiMEM? It looks much redder than usual.

me: Does it say OptiMEM on the label?

him: (looks at label) No.

me: Then it's not OptiMEM.

(And this jacka$$ is going to get a Master's degree because people are too effing nice around here.)

The highlight of my interaction with the coworker yesterday, after him digging through the lab fridge to find something for an experiment:

him: (holding up a bottle) Is this the OptiMEM? It looks much redder than usual.

(And this jacka$$ is going to get a Master's degree because people are too effing nice around here.)

I would have asked him "But does it taste like OptiMEM?"

Edited by shrader

I would have asked him "But does it takes like OptiMEM?"

That would have been the right move.

Assuming shrader meant to say "taste", that would be a great move were this not a communal regeant that needs to remain sterile. Next time, though. ;)

You doing transfections? OptiMEM rings a bell from when I was trying to stably transfect some 293 cells.

And the bolded. Although it seems like every time I do actually check GCL, the games are on NBCSN, CBS, etc. so I can't watch anyhow. I just can't bring myself to care enough to watch two days later when they're available.

And WTF is with your foot?! It looks like the x-ray machine was on LSD.

I think NBC's pitch is that every playoff game is on cable somewhere, which would be cool if I had cable. On cable means not on GC. Boo.

Yeah, it's always been that way. It's only at the ripe age of 36 that's become a regular issue enough that I'm considering taking the hit on it.

You doing transfections? OptiMEM rings a bell from when I was trying to stably transfect some 293 cells.

Haha -- that's exactly what I'm doing right now. Good memory!

I think NBC's pitch is that every playoff game is on cable somewhere, which would be cool if I had cable. On cable means not on GC. Boo.

Yeah, it's always been that way. It's only at the ripe age of 36 that's become a regular issue enough that I'm considering taking the hit on it.

Same here. Seems like for the playoffs pretty much every game is on a national channel, which stinks for people like you and I who paid for GCL and don't have cable. I wish the NHL offered some kind of separate playoff package where you could still stream games that are televised nationally, but I suspect that's not going to happen because of NBC rather than the NHL. Shame.

I'm a typo machine lately. Time to get the head checked.

You've got a lot on your plate, so you're forgiven. ;)

OptiMEM can transfect cells AND it tastes great!

Tastes great; lower serum! (I think only CV will get that one.)

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/45340521