Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Let's just cut to the chase and start a Sabrespace commune.....

We have cooks, brewers, doctors, mechanics, broads........why not?

It is tough out there. Hang tight......

I'm calling dibs on bio's tent/pod/whatever.

Letchworth State Park

Great idea! Unfortunately we didn't end up having time to stop. :( Curse that boy's excessive work load.

For this week: high school kids working at the grocery store. It's moderately annoying when they can't even be bothered to pause their inane conversation to at least acknowledge your presence, but the fact that they clearly don't give a sh!t when bagging your groceries is maddening. If I bring an insulated grocery bag, maybe you should put the dairy products in that one instead of the non-insulated bags. And no, soft fruits should NOT go on the bottom beneath whatever other heavy items you've haphazardly thrown on top. :wallbash:

While I was enjoying a quiet day the office, one of our interns (who sits near the front door) runs back to inform us that there's a guy beating up a woman outside of the office next door (a dentist's office). One of my co-workers springs into action and goes to find out what's going on, and barges into the dentist's office. The guy and girl are sitting in there, having just punched each other multiple times. I call 911 (turns out the dentist office had already called), and then hear through the wall all kinds of fighting, in which my co-worker, along with a guy from another neighboring office, physically pull the guy off the girl. The guy then grabs her keys and runs out the door, stealing her car, so I gave the car's specs and tag number to 911. The dentist's office is demolished - broken furniture, blood on the door and wall, etc. And then it takes the cops over 10 minutes to show up.

Well, I was going to complain about the job, but after weave's post, I feel fortunate to be still employed. I hope everything works out for you, weave...good luck with the search.

I'll reiterate that I like my job and have no plans to leave, but aren't we still allowed to vent about things within the job that we don't like?

Edited by Buffalo Wings

While I was enjoying a quiet day the office, one of our interns (who sits near the front door) runs back to inform us that there's a guy beating up a woman outside of the office next door (a dentist's office). One of my co-workers springs into action and goes to find out what's going on, and barges into the dentist's office. The guy and girl are sitting in there, having just punched each other multiple times. I call 911 (turns out the dentist office had already called), and then hear through the wall all kinds of fighting, in which my co-worker, along with a guy from another neighboring office, physically pull the guy off the girl. The guy then grabs her keys and runs out the door, stealing her car, so I gave the car's specs and tag number to 911. The dentist's office is demolished - broken furniture, blood on the door and wall, etc. And then it takes the cops over 10 minutes to show up.

Novocaine addicts.

Well, I was going to complain about the job, but after weave's post, I feel fortunate to be still employed. I hope everything works out for you, weave...good luck with the search.

I'll reiterate that I like my job and have no plans to leave, but aren't we still allowed to vent about things within the job that we don't like?

Vent away. I start a new job on Monday. Not that it should matter. Sometimes we just have to let it out.

The academic job market. I'm not officially on the market until this fall, but I've been looking around and finding a tenure track position is nigh impossible. I'm not against going to a full-time non-tenure track position...but those aren't very available either. By far the most plentiful positions are one-year adjunct positions. Oh, and there's basically nothing around Buffalo either. I'm not against moving, and I'm not against an adjunct position (I'm fully aware sometimes you have to start at the bottom)....it's the prospect of moving a thousand miles and only being guaranteed a paycheck for one year that's getting me. If things don't improve within the next year I'll have to seriously consider work in the bureaucracy :(

This is going to sound callous....but that's just another notch in Darwin's belt. Although I suppose true natural selection would have eliminated the parents.

Both kids would have to be unable tfo reproduce for Darwin to be satisfied.

We've got a bunch of ants in the apartment right now. The place is very clean, so I'm guessing they were driven in by the landlord's yard work. Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of them because the wife likes to freak out.

Edited by shrader

Oh yeah, how could I forget this more important complaint. So the wife's school was on lockdown in the morning yesterday because a guy with scitzophrenia had wondered into the parking lot and was asking for help. It was cleared up pretty quickly, but they haven't gotten the whole story just yet. This guy either lives in the immediate area or his parents do and it was serious enough that they have put some sort of order of protection up that doesn't allow him to come back onto the school's property.

More than likely, this whole thing is probably done now, but if he is in the area constantly and they had to issue that order, it does make you wonder if he could be screwed up enough to come back and this time do something worse. I don't like that potential looming in the background. It's good that a lot of the parents dropping off their kids in the morning are local cops heading right to work afterwards. But that doesn't solve the whole issue.