Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

suicide.

now ... before everyone goes bat#### psycho on me for "complaining" about it, let me explain.

our good friend and neighbor across the street lost her daughter yesterday to suicide. she--the daughter--was in her late teens, done with high school, and from all accounts getting ready to go to college. all of a sudden, she decided not to go. a week later, she killed herself. no indicators, no signs. generally happy go-lucky outward appearance.

the more i thought about it, the more depressed and overwhelmingly sad i became at not understanding why. she left no note. she exhibited no signs. her mom and dad had no idea. and these are not inattentive parents; they're on top of things. they keep tabs on their kids pretty closely. not to the point of hovering over their shoulders, but enough to know be able to recognize any signs of suicidal tendencies, were any to have been exhibited. but that's the problem--she exhibited precisely none.

i guess this isn't really a complaint so much as it is a vent. our whole neighborhood is reeling.

Suicide will tear a family to shreds. My cousin committed suicide around the same ago, it's just devastating.

Actually, convincing otherwise reasonable parents to not have their children vaccinated over an imaginary and made up scare about the preservative used in the vaccine causing autism is the brand of stupidity I was referring to.

Interesting that you choose the term "crusading" to refer to what Al Gore does. He might not push stupidity per se, but he does push a mindbogglingly blatent version of hypocricy. I also find it funny and unfortunately not ironic that you refer to Al Gore in the same paragraph as you refer to some actual scientists and equate both of their levels of involvement as "belief." But really, your issue "isn't political." If I take you at your word and accept that your issue isn't political, why equate legitimate scientists to Al Gore?

I would be shocked to learn that those scientists that I mentioned earlier have made a fraction of what the IPCC golden boys such as Mann have made in the study of this issue. And they, unlike the Michael Manns of this world, are actually running experiments to test their "beliefs" (most people would call those "theories" &/or "hypotheses" as they appear to be actually following the scientific method to see if they can disprove them (again, I don't have access to the Nature article, so I can't state equivocally any more than they appear to be following the scientific method), but apparently according to you they are only beliefs) and they are making their data available for peer review. And btw, at least 2 of those 4 are on record as stating that they believe that a component of global warming is due to anthropomorphic sources. Their research is an attempt to see what sort of a role cosmic rays may play in climate change (both warming and cooling), if any. The popularly accepted (by the cult of the IPCC) models of climate are wildly inaccurate and have a rather limited selection of variables which they include. One should hope that scientists would try to improve their models, at least I would.

I'd be interested in learning how Dick Cheney stands to reap Billions if the "myth" of global warming goes away; Gore stands to make them if he can keep it up. Perhaps Cheney will make serious money off global warming going away (I haven't followed his financial positions so I don't pretend to know how his holdings will fare (I'd expect any Halliburton he still holds would fare well but don't know that he still holds any), thus the prior statement), but the divinity school dropout has made a lot already off it and will make a mint if it doesn't go away.

You state that you "have no patience for people who would rather listen to an industrialist about scientific theory, than listen to actual scientists." I'm sorry for getting into this discussion as I doubt it can lead anywhere fruitful, but I have no patience for people that would rather listen to an opportunist than listen to actual scientists.

My daughter had a normal EEG as an infant. We split up her vaccinations. She had her first seizure in the week following. She got the measles from that one and I watched her spin around in circles for three days following, a behavior she had never exhibited before. She is Autistic and now has a very abnormal EEG, having seizures about every 4 months as she outgrows her medication. Don't tell me that what I witnessed first hand was made up.

I understand that vaccinations are for the greater good, but they do hurt a small fraction of the population and the govt knows this. They actually pay a lot of money out very quietly to families like mine who have been injured by vaccinations. Unfortunately for me, it was so quietly that we didn't find out about it until it was too late.

As to the other thing, I was actually comparing Cheney to Gore. I find them both to be opportunistic douches. I just found it interesting that you didn't like one because he makes money because he believes in global warming, but you don't care that the other one makes money because he believes that "it's every American's right to drive a big SUV." (from Meet The Press)

I'm sick. It was my girlfriend's birthday yesterday and we couldn't go out and do anything for it.

My real complaint is that my girlfriend has no sense of self worth and I don't know how to help her. She's an intern at a job and is making next to nothing. She was supposed to have been hired by now, but instead she's still an intern. She won't ask her bosses for a raise because she doesn't think she's good enough, even though they keep putting her on projects and giving her responsibilities just like her co-workers. And it doesn't help that all of her other friends are giant pussies who think she should just be grateful for what she has. $200 a week for an illustrator with a bachelors who learned how to animate in a month is ridiculous.

I'm sick. It was my girlfriend's birthday yesterday and we couldn't go out and do anything for it.

My real complaint is that my girlfriend has no sense of self worth and I don't know how to help her. She's an intern at a job and is making next to nothing. She was supposed to have been hired by now, but instead she's still an intern. She won't ask her bosses for a raise because she doesn't think she's good enough, even though they keep putting her on projects and giving her responsibilities just like her co-workers. And it doesn't help that all of her other friends are giant pussies who think she should just be grateful for what she has. $200 a week for an illustrator with a bachelors who learned how to animate in a month is ridiculous.

200 a WEEK? dude, that's not just ridiculous; that's highway robbery. i guarantee you the reason they haven't brought her on full time is because she simply hasn't asked. it's hella-lot cheaper for them to pay her the pittance pay she's not complaining about than to take her on full time, yet they're still milking her for all she's worth as an illustrator. i don't know about wages out there, but our graphics illustration team out here clear about $60-70k a year. at $200 a week, she's barely clearing $10k a year. how long has she been there?!

200 a WEEK? dude, that's not just ridiculous; that's highway robbery. i guarantee you the reason they haven't brought her on full time is because she simply hasn't asked. it's hella-lot cheaper for them to pay her the pittance pay she's not complaining about than to take her on full time, yet they're still milking her for all she's worth as an illustrator. i don't know about wages out there, but our graphics illustration team out here clear about $60-70k a year. at $200 a week, she's barely clearing $10k a year. how long has she been there?!

She's been there since June. Her internship was supposed to be done end of August. But for the work she's doing, she should already be hired. She's giving them full time hours, they should be paying her what she deserves. But she flat out refuses to ask. I don't get it.

She's been there since June. Her internship was supposed to be done end of August. But for the work she's doing, she should already be hired. She's giving them full time hours, they should be paying her what she deserves. But she flat out refuses to ask. I don't get it.

she's working a straight 40-hour week, right? does she understand that she's making minimum wage as a professional? i can understand her gratitude at simply having a job, but she really needs to stand up for herself. they obviously trust her with projects and want her to stick around. why not be paid what she's worth? even if she's just starting of, they should at least be paying her about $40k. graphic design is a pretty lucrative field.

if she needs/wants to move on, i'd be happy to help polish up a resume. i have a template that i've doled out to dozens of friends and family members. it's never failed to land at least one interview.

I'm trying to get in shape. Just in the last week, I'm seeing improvements with everything I'm doing except shoulder/back stuff. I can't find a way to work myself into doing pull-ups. I can't do one, and trying to use my legs to 'help' seems to be a lot more leg than pullup. I really don't want to deal with a gym, but I can't think of good way to work into what's a full-body weight exercise.

With the talk of suicide, autism and such on this thread, this really barely registers as a complaint ... but it is what it is ... I am a pretty lucky guy.

We are scheduled to get the whole-house DVR thing from DirecTV on Monday ... which is great, but I also have to pull all the stuff recorded on the current DVRs and put what we want to save on DVDs ... also no big deal on the surface.

However ... my 3-year old son LOVES him some Handy Manny ... I have already filled SEVEN four-hour DVDs and just started on the eighth, which will also be just about full by the time I am done. For those scoring at home, yes, that means by this afternoon I will have spent 32 hours of my life working with Handy Manny in the background over the last couple weeks. And the ridiculous thing is that I know there is no way he will ever watch them all, because he only watches it for like a half hour a night after his bath and before bed. I suppose they will come in handy (ugh, no pun intended, I am losing it) if we ever go on a long car trip ...

Oh the irony...life can be cruel and beautiful at the same time.

I have a senior in high school filling out college apps. After 23 years of marriage living fairly well but essentially paycheck to paycheck, the husband and I are finally both making some really good money....

just in time to fill out the FAFSA :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I got stuck behind an old woman on the way to work today who slammed on the breaks each time a car was coming in the opposite direction. It was the most confusing thing I've ever seen on the road. Then after a while, she decided to pull over into the bike lane and drive full speed there. Thank god there were no bikers at that moment.

I got stuck behind an old woman on the way to work today who slammed on the breaks each time a car was coming in the opposite direction. It was the most confusing thing I've ever seen on the road. Then after a while, she decided to pull over into the bike lane and drive full speed there. Thank god there were no bikers at that moment.

There's never a dull moment in your life, is there?

Oh the irony...life can be cruel and beautiful at the same time.

I have a senior in high school filling out college apps. After 23 years of marriage living fairly well but essentially paycheck to paycheck, the husband and I are finally both making some really good money....

just in time to fill out the FAFSA :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

make her/him wait until s/he is 24 to go to college. then they can apply and your income isn't a factor. ;)

FAFSA. ugh. those things read like a russian operation and maintenance manual for nuclear warheads. good luck.

My job has officially reached the point where myself and my 2 co-workers are being lectured at during our staff meetings. We took a pretty good hit last month when we lost 2 staff members (that aren't being replaced), but with all things considered, we've managed do get the work done pretty well since then and our time hasn't been terribly consumed - even with the weather hampering things. Yet, our manager continues to tell us that we can't drop what we're doing to help others because we're so ****in' busy.

I'm not sure if she realizes that we're not working on these "priority" jobs every waking second. I brought it up yesterday that we actually can take care of the simple stuff that takes 20 seconds to do in between these other priorities. In other words, we're capable of multitasking. I'm almost 40 years old...I don't need to feel like I was just caught pulling little Suzy's pigtails.

Somewhat related, I was at a job interview recently where I like the looks of the job I'm up for, but the pay is 8-10k less. I haven't been offered the job, but they seemed to like me enough. :unsure:

My over-the-phone interview that I had with my HR department for an internal position (which would have helped me come off the road and move to a management position that would have had me home just about every night) was done over a month ago. The position is still vacant, but HR has not called me back to let me know whether or not they are even considering me for the position. I spoke with my boss about it, and he told me that, in his words, "the wheels turn slowly over at HR." Yet, they are never at a loss for hiring new drivers.

OTOH, I did ask him how things are looking for freight in a rather familiar market. He told me he would get in touch with an operations manager to find out. It would be nice to know for sure, because I am really feeling the urge to move out of Dixie (which is another topic altogether and something I can't discuss on here).

That is too freaking funny!!

My complaint is a lazy ass cop sitting at the end of my street writing tickets to people for rolling thru a stop sign as they make a right turn..just got in a big argument with him as I sat at the intersection for an hour to warn people he is there..which he did not take kindly to..I asked him if he really felt he was doing police work sitting in a neighborhood writing tickets to the ladies who lunch crowd...again something he did not take kindly to...asked him if 2 cars coming thru the intersection every five minutes presented a public safety concern...seeing as how I have lived here 8 years and never once have seen an accident there..he did not take kindly to that either.

This is the thrid day in last week this douch nozzle has been out there...I am sick of it.

My complaint is a lazy ass cop sitting at the end of my street writing tickets to people for rolling thru a stop sign as they make a right turn..just got in a big argument with him as I sat at the intersection for an hour to warn people he is there..which he did not take kindly to..I asked him if he really felt he was doing police work sitting in a neighborhood writing tickets to the ladies who lunch crowd...again something he did not take kindly to...asked him if 2 cars coming thru the intersection every five minutes presented a public safety concern...seeing as how I have lived here 8 years and never once have seen an accident there..he did not take kindly to that either.

This is the thrid day in last week this douch nozzle has been out there...I am sick of it.

:clapping:

My job has officially reached the point where myself and my 2 co-workers are being lectured at during our staff meetings. We took a pretty good hit last month when we lost 2 staff members (that aren't being replaced), but with all things considered, we've managed do get the work done pretty well since then and our time hasn't been terribly consumed - even with the weather hampering things. Yet, our manager continues to tell us that we can't drop what we're doing to help others because we're so ****in' busy.

I'm not sure if she realizes that we're not working on these "priority" jobs every waking second. I brought it up yesterday that we actually can take care of the simple stuff that takes 20 seconds to do in between these other priorities. In other words, we're capable of multitasking. I'm almost 40 years old...I don't need to feel like I was just caught pulling little Suzy's pigtails.

Somewhat related, I was at a job interview recently where I like the looks of the job I'm up for, but the pay is 8-10k less. I haven't been offered the job, but they seemed to like me enough. :unsure:

Everything is negotiable. If they really like you (and they're a solid business) they'll find a way to get you in. Use additional vacation as leverage. If they offer 8-10K less shoot back 5K less but +1 week of vacation.

On a side note...and maybe I'm off here....but the Buffalo "home town" discount has always made me shake my head. I haven't lived in Buffalo for 15+ years now, but occasionally I'll throw a resume up there just to see what's going on. What I've found (and again this about 3 interviews over the span of a decade) is that the offers aren't even close to what I can make elsewhere. And twice I've been told "we can get someone else cheaper." That's the one that kills me. It shows how shortsighted the business is. The propensity to save a buck on salary instead of getting the right person who can have a noticeable affect on your bottom line. (Not saying I'm the right person :thumbsup: ) I only mention it, because I've discussed with other Buffalo ex-pats who've run into the same thing, and a couple well placed HR folks who have told me it's a known entity.

Cop is doing what he is told. No need to hassle him. You'd be pissed if someone on the outside hassled you for doing what you were told to do this morning. In fact, you shouldn't be in here complaining as you got off without a citation. What you did is obstruction, and is a violation. ;)