Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Tweaked my lower back while working out yesterday. Just grabbed up in the middle of some lower back exercises. I think it was just a bad spasm and possibly a strain, but man, what discomfort and pain the rest of the day. Got a little better today with intermittent heat and Aleve, but of course it had to happen this week with a big weight loss milestone coming up. Hope this doesn't derail me too long.

Congratulations on the weight loss. Keep going. And give me some advice, because I'm heading in the other direction. One of these days we'll probably pass. I just have zero restraint. I've gone from vegetarian and walking six miles a day a couple of years ago to carnivore couch potato. And not surprisingly from about 170 to 210.

He's going to give Crosschecking an aneurysm.

I actually thought it was a clever play on words.

Now, for the real complaint of the week: how a judge like this one could so flippantly ignore the plea of asylum from this teenager is just mind-numbing. If this girl dies at the hands of her parents because she converted, her blood should be on this judge's hands because he practically signed her death warrant.

Congratulations on the weight loss. Keep going. And give me some advice, because I'm heading in the other direction. One of these days we'll probably pass. I just have zero restraint. I've gone from vegetarian and walking six miles a day a couple of years ago to carnivore couch potato. And not surprisingly from about 170 to 210.

You're a 210 lb woman living in Bumblefork, PA?!?!? :o

YIKES!

Please tell me that you're 6'4". :unsure:

:nana:

Edited by Taro T

Thanks, PA. I wish I had some great advice to share, but for me, it's been just increasing my activity and really watching what and how much I eat. With the economy being as bad as it has been I have been limited to working in a part-time capacity (nearly full-time hours) at a local YMCA, so my membership is free (one of the very few perks we get) and with my hours being varied I have a lot of chances to work out before or after my shifts. Most weeks I work out 5-6 times a week, for around an hour a day. Usually 30-40 minutes of cardio and 20-30 minutes of weight training. Weight Watchers has helped me a lot as well. So overall it is really just being super diligent about watching what I am eating and making my workout such a big part of my day that if I miss a day, I feel guilty and mad at myself for not finding the time.

This is the third or fourth time that I have tried to get my weight under control and it's really the first time everything has clicked - the diet, the exercise, the time to work out, etc. I think the little guy has been a big motivator this time - I want to set a good example for him, and I want to be around when he's graduating high school, getting married, all that.

Thanks, PA. I wish I had some great advice to share, but for me, it's been just increasing my activity and really watching what and how much I eat. With the economy being as bad as it has been I have been limited to working in a part-time capacity (nearly full-time hours) at a local YMCA, so my membership is free (one of the very few perks we get) and with my hours being varied I have a lot of chances to work out before or after my shifts. Most weeks I work out 5-6 times a week, for around an hour a day. Usually 30-40 minutes of cardio and 20-30 minutes of weight training. Weight Watchers has helped me a lot as well. So overall it is really just being super diligent about watching what I am eating and making my workout such a big part of my day that if I miss a day, I feel guilty and mad at myself for not finding the time.

This is the third or fourth time that I have tried to get my weight under control and it's really the first time everything has clicked - the diet, the exercise, the time to work out, etc. I think the little guy has been a big motivator this time - I want to set a good example for him, and I want to be around when he's graduating high school, getting married, all that.

I don't think there's any doubt it's the little guy. That's fantastic. Good for you.

I just sent out a couple resumes for the first time in 5 years. It's nice to have a job while I'm doing it, but I really don't want to deal with this whole job search process.

The process sucks, and given how bad the economy is, there are literally 100s of applicants for most positions. It's brutal out there.

The process sucks, and given how bad the economy is, there are literally 100s of applicants for most positions. It's brutal out there.

Not to mention that there are people who are desperately trying to hang on to their jobs.

To the "engineers/construction managers" who are involved in repaving streets...

When you strip off the old asphalt, take off enough so that when it is repaved, the utility manhole covers aren't 6 inches below the top of the new asphalt. Nothing like driving on a newly paved road and weaving around every manhole. :angry:

1. My father-in-law found out yesterday that he has terminal cancer... when we woke up from the operation that was supposed to keep that from happening.

2. My littlest one just looked at my Sabres jersey and said "Banana Shirt!"

#%^$#!, that sucks. Hang in there.

I...hate...raking...leaves.

I'm 10,000% with you. My lawn vac does a decent job, but it's still a pain.

I'm debating when to put the golf clubs away for the winter. I'm addicted to the game enough where I can usually play into November (with the same group of addicted golfing buddies), but the weather hasn't been cooperating lately. I wanted a couple of more Saturday-morning rounds before Thanksgiving, but I don't think that's going to happen.

It's way too easy to let the weight creep up (that's my complaint). As for solutions, I'm amazed that after a decade of trying to find a workout that fits into my schedule, walking seems to be it. I've been doing a couple of miles 4-6 times a week - only takes a little over half an hour and seems to be making a big difference. Now, the other piece of the solution is to not eat too much. I switched from cereal for breakfast to 3 - 4 pieces of fresh fruit cut up together, then instead of eating crap for a mid afternoon snack, I eat the cereal. Basically I'm substituting fresh fruit for pastries but mixing up the order (fruit in the afternoon never seemed to cut it). Also using the packaged lettuce and doing a salad (loaded with unhealthy stuff but still a salad) instead of the Dollar Menu at McDs (our office is next door).

Anyway, good luck to everyone on the board with this issue that's facing many of us. I feel somewhat the dork walking like the old folks but trying to get to the pool, gym or bike for an hour proved impossible. And as the soon to be father of our 4th and not too far away from 40, it's important to get & stay fit for the kiddos.

My boss is on vacation, and in his place I am trying to do both our jobs. Now I see why he is stressed out all the time. Not only is there immense pressure from the main office, but his co-senior staff and the staff under us are chock full of self-centered jerks, morons, and incompetent boobs. I've buried in an avalanche of paperwork, I have meetings interrupting the only productive time I can scrape together, and every time I start to make some headway, I get four more things thrown in my lap. I cannot wait until he gets back on Tuesday.