Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Bump... and let the games begin.

I would like to complain about one mundane aspect of life: the burned out tail light.

I've had my car for 11 months now. It's fully warrantied, obviously, so this won't cost me a dime to fix, but seriously folks... My volkswagen gets nearly 50 mpg, and its emissions system is so good that even though it runs on diesel, it cleans the exhaust so well that it's impossible to commit suicide by running the car in a closed garage. All of this, plus bluetooth phone, sirius radio, auto windshield wipers, etc. yet, a 120 year old technology, the incandescent bulb in the tail light, burns out after 11 months? Really? Really! Whatever government lobbyist group that is mandating the use of incandescent bulbs over LEDs needs to burn a fiery death in hell caused by a short inside a 75/100/120w dimmer switch!

My boss....she's not one of those who you'd hate. In fact, I get along with her very well, as does the rest of my group. However, since our old boss retired in June, she's taken over all the responsibilities (just not the promotion or title, of course) and is stressing out over everything. We're in a very politically-oriented office, so while I sympathize with her complaints, she doesn't need to express them every 20 minutes. Since I sit right next to her, I get the brunt of it.

*sigh*

I love when people drop a huge project on me two days before it needs to be finished. I don't mind actually being busy for once, but there really isn't much margin for error here.

+1

1. As I posted in another thread -- still no HD for Sabres games on MSG if you're not in WNY.

2. I bought a Dell laptop in February 2008 and paid $250 or so for the extended 3-year, in-person warranty. It was a lemon. It died every few weeks -- just shut down. Each time, I'd have to go through the phone menu, talk to tech support in India for about an hour, they'd finally send the tech dude out to fix it, he'd show up with the wrong part, they'd send the right part (usually a replacement motherboard), he'd replace it, it would work for a few weeks, then die again. At one point I had to send it in to Dell for them to work on it in their shop. Same result. Finally, after about 5 or 6 repetitions of this BS, they sent me a replacement. This was about a month ago.

The GD new laptop is completely schizophrenic and freezes up every 60 seconds. It's unusable. Here we go again on the tech support merry-go-round.

I hate Dell.

1. As I posted in another thread -- still no HD for Sabres games on MSG if you're not in WNY.

2. I bought a Dell laptop in February 2008 and paid $250 or so for the extended 3-year, in-person warranty. It was a lemon. It died every few weeks -- just shut down. Each time, I'd have to go through the phone menu, talk to tech support in India for about an hour, they'd finally send the tech dude out to fix it, he'd show up with the wrong part, they'd send the right part (usually a replacement motherboard), he'd replace it, it would work for a few weeks, then die again. At one point I had to send it in to Dell for them to work on it in their shop. Same result. Finally, after about 5 or 6 repetitions of this BS, they sent me a replacement. This was about a month ago.

The GD new laptop is completely schizophrenic and freezes up every 60 seconds. It's unusable. Here we go again on the tech support merry-go-round.

I hate Dell.

I'm really disappointed with Dell's ongoing slide into mediocrity. I've had more issues with my newer Dell products than I've had with any of my older stuff. The first few things I bought from them were built solid and seemed to last forever, but the newer stuff feels cheaper and breaks easier.

The worst thing is - they don't seem to care that their products suck. Their customer service is getting more and more indifferent and less helpful.

I'm really disappointed with Dell's ongoing slide into mediocrity. I've had more issues with my newer Dell products than I've had with any of my older stuff. The first few things I bought from them were built solid and seemed to last forever, but the newer stuff feels cheaper and breaks easier.

The worst thing is - they don't seem to care that their products suck. Their customer service is getting more and more indifferent and less helpful.

I got a Dell years ago because I had the exact same problems with Gateway....customer service...the thing they were supposed to be good at. At the time, I worked for an ISP and had free dialup internet access (this was 2000 or so). It never worked while my old PC had no problems. I took it in to a local Gateway fix-it place, whose "techie" ended up calling my company's tech support for details (apparently forgetting that I told them I was a network engineer for said company) and never called me - even to tell me they were finished. I shipped it back, but was out about $200 for the original shipping. Never again.

I went with a Dell and have upgraded my PC twice with them since. Still no problems.

Our group's grant is up next year - we've reapplied for a new one, but the preparations that we have to go through for the site visit on top of our regular work (which has also increased to make the numbers look good for the grant proposal) are burning me out faster than a VW tail light bulb :) .

I took a week off at the beginning of September and it already feels like that was six months ago. Our site visit is in November, so perhaps when the holidays arrive, things will finally begin to slow down. I'm already considering asking my Harley dealer if they have a sales job open (except that because the economy sucks, not many people are buying motorcycles).

Oh,yeah - the weather has sucked so bad it's been almost two weeks since I last was out on the bike. Lately, riding's the only thing that has put a smile on my face......

Is it Friday yet?

I hate Dell.

Same, you get what you pay for with them. I have always done tech support for pretty much anyone in my family that has every had a computer. I bought my first IBM machine about 4-5 years ago and have since switched everyone I possibly can over to them. I haven't received anywhere near the same amount of calls from long lost cousins anymore about their computer.

My complaint - I'm lazy and played racquetball yesterday. My legs are killing me now. Bout it.

I hate Dell.

I've been an Apple guy for years (Hush, I just like them better). I'm going to pick up a new machine soon. I made the mistake of looking at the Wintel prices and now I'm cringing a bit. Do I want to give Dell a whirl? HP? Or, do I stick with the Apple machines that I've been so happy with for years. I'm thinking Apple, but good Lord, that's some serious cheese.

Oh, and just about corporate everything.

I work in a gov't run liquor store and we're very busy. No recession in the booze biz. So we have lots of patrons with very few moments in the day that there aren't customers.

Anyway, what is with people that drop a bomb when you're 10 feet away and then walk away from it, leaving you looking like the one who let the awful ripper go?

Seriously, if you have to fart, do it outside. Gawd.

I have no problem giving the "who farted face" to customers who walk by so they know it's not me.

Same, you get what you pay for with them. I have always done tech support for pretty much anyone in my family that has every had a computer. I bought my first IBM machine about 4-5 years ago and have since switched everyone I possibly can over to them. I haven't received anywhere near the same amount of calls from long lost cousins anymore about their computer.

My complaint - I'm lazy and played racquetball yesterday. My legs are killing me now. Bout it.

This isn't with the spirit of the thread, but anyone considering a PC lap top who DOESN'T get an IBM lenovo thinkpad is crazy. Yes, they cost more. Yes they are big, clunky and ugly. But they are frigging bulletproof. It just works. For years on end. I use my lap top in a dock at work, and run it at home every night. I just retired it after SEVEN YEARS because it no longer has enough RAM to run modern programs, but had plenty of juice when I bought it seven years ago. I have had the new one for six months, and it is also bulletproof so far. The old one now gets used daily by the kids, and is still bulletproof after clearing the hard drive and reinstalling XP and MS office

You don't get Indian Summer in very early fall. You get it in late October or November, after it's snowed, and stuck, at least once. Come on LB!

In a similar vein - if we're going to go through this early crappy fall weather, I'd like to get that first hard frost out of the way as quickly as possible, so it kills the ragweed and all the other fall allergens that make me a sneezing, watery-eyed mess.

Bump... and let the games begin.

I would like to complain about one mundane aspect of life: the burned out tail light.

I've had my car for 11 months now. It's fully warrantied, obviously, so this won't cost me a dime to fix, but seriously folks... My volkswagen gets nearly 50 mpg, and its emissions system is so good that even though it runs on diesel, it cleans the exhaust so well that it's impossible to commit suicide by running the car in a closed garage. All of this, plus bluetooth phone, sirius radio, auto windshield wipers, etc. yet, a 120 year old technology, the incandescent bulb in the tail light, burns out after 11 months? Really? Really! Whatever government lobbyist group that is mandating the use of incandescent bulbs over LEDs needs to burn a fiery death in hell caused by a short inside a 75/100/120w dimmer switch!

Get ready for years of heartbreak. I owned a frigging VW Passat. German engineering my ass. It was a pleasure to drive when everything was working right. Problem was, that was a rare occurrence. The electrical system in VW's is absolute garbage. Lights burn out. Batteries die for no reason. Fuses pop. Windows won't go down. The radio dies. Doors won't lock. Enjoy the car while it lasts. 3 years into it, I ditched the car and got soaked on trade in. Couldn't care less, was so happy to get a car that actually works the way it was supposed to.

Got mine in the mail today. Anyone want a ride on the Zamboni for $250? How about sitting with RJ and HN in the pressbox for a game? Cost ya $1,000 Sabrebucks.

They should pay you to keep HN from nodding off during gameplay.