Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

My house back in Buffalo got looted over winter break, and to make matters more interesting my landlord suppossedly "knew" about a broken window and damaged interior doors a few days after myself and roomates moved out. However, he didn't feel the need to inform us whatsoever, rather he just let his handymen do repairs. What's more, after i discovered the looting had occured when i went to check on things january first, he made no mention of the suppossed broken window when i was talking about contacting police. Today he finally mentions it. Somethings not right here.

Ah home on time from work, I think I'll take a nice hot shower.

NOPE.

Turned on the water, turned the selector to shower and it shoots out of the tub wall. Water everywhere including dripping through the cieling over my kitchen sink.

Just what I wanted to deal with tonight.

Yikes. Good luck with that!

My house back in Buffalo got looted over winter break, and to make matters more interesting my landlord suppossedly "knew" about a broken window and damaged interior doors a few days after myself and roomates moved out. However, he didn't feel the need to inform us whatsoever, rather he just let his handymen do repairs. What's more, after i discovered the looting had occured when i went to check on things january first, he made no mention of the suppossed broken window when i was talking about contacting police. Today he finally mentions it. Somethings not right here.

That sucks. I'd be looking at someplace else to rent if I were you. Hope you didn't lose too much stuff (or at least have renters insurance).

There is a reporter (maybe two) on NPR that speak with vocal fry. I understand that Valley Girl speak was a fad as well, but they would have never had a reporter on who spoke that way back then. I don't care how good the report is. I can't get past that sound.

So the semester started on Monday and the office is just insane. My email is like grand central station and the College I am liaison too needs a lot of help because no one has helped them or liaised with them in over a year. So basically I am here, there, and everywhere with these people and the real issue is that I got a random request from a subsection of this college and they asked for something that will probably take the entire day if not longer to track down. Basically my complaint is the work overload that started Monday and has yet to let up. On top of that I get to work 3 of the next 4 Sundays... :death:

I have a few today, so here we go:

#1. The roommate from hell moved out back in late November and left this big ugly bookshelf that we have no interest in. She said a friend would come to pick it up in a few days. Well that girl decided that she would wait until January. So last week she gets in contact and says that she would pick it up on the 2nd. We still haven't heard another peep from her since. So at this point, I assume we are clear to do whatever we see fit with that shelf (disassemble and trash). I really wish I had a sledge hammer to make that job more fun.

#2. For whatever reason, the traffic has been horrendous since the new year. My drive to work has been nearly doubled. Why are there suddenly so many more drivers on the road in the morning? Anyone?

#3. This one is half complaint, half awesome. I kind of enjoy watching how quickly the New Year's resolution gym goers fall off. I go every weekday at the same time. On monday, there wasn't a single open parking spot and I couldn't even get in. Tuesday, there are a few scattered spots. Yesterday, completely empty. That type of fall off over the course of a week is always there, but I've never seen it quite like this. It does explain a lot about this country though when you see the people disappear that quickly.

edit: Oh yeah, one more:

#4. I have 7 weddings to go to this year, including my own. All but two will involve hotel stays. This is going to be one expensive year. That should hurt the whole "saving for a house" thing a bit.

Edited by shrader

There is a reporter (maybe two) on NPR that speak with vocal fry. I understand that Valley Girl speak was a fad as well, but they would have never had a reporter on who spoke that way back then. I don't care how good the report is. I can't get past that sound.

Nails on a chalkboard > vocal fry. I friggin' can't stand it.

Whatinthehell is vocal fry?

My complaint, new job started Monday. They've thrown me right into 2nd shift "for the foreseeable future". Looks like I'm missing 2/3 of the NHl season.

And I miss my family especially. Haven't seen my kid since Sunday evening. He's gone to school by the time I wake up and I'm gone to work before he gets home from school. I won't see him on Saturday until dinner time. Working Saturdays already too. New place is busy as hell and running balls out. Gotta sacrifice.

I feel guilty for not liking the hours of the new gig. Lots of former co-workers on unemployment right now.

o for the love of hockey... on Monday the student pc workstations stopped connecting to the printers... so we told Campus IT... they "fixed" the problem tuesday... well they really didn't, so they "fixed" the problem wednesday night... well here I am Thursday morning on the desk and some of the computers print and some of them can't find the F**@#$^&*(#!!!!!!! printer. So now students are pissed, I am pissed, I am trying to do chat reference as well, my student IT guy is pissed an trying to figure out which ones are fixed... IT IS A CLUSTER F*^%!!!!!

o for the love of hockey... on Monday the student pc workstations stopped connecting to the printers... so we told Campus IT... they "fixed" the problem tuesday... well they really didn't, so they "fixed" the problem wednesday night... well here I am Thursday morning on the desk and some of the computers print and some of them can't find the F**@#$^&*(#!!!!!!! printer. So now students are pissed, I am pissed, I am trying to do chat reference as well, my student IT guy is pissed an trying to figure out which ones are fixed... IT IS A CLUSTER F*^%!!!!!

This reminds me of one I ran into recently. When I try to print something double sided here at work, it does work. Only one problem, it prints the entire document within a 1 inch square in the corner of the paper. It doesn't happen every time, but the issue pops up from time to time.

This reminds me of one I ran into recently. When I try to print something double sided here at work, it does work. Only one problem, it prints the entire document within a 1 inch square in the corner of the paper. It doesn't happen every time, but the issue pops up from time to time.

I have one thing to say that will solve both our problems:

not sure why it won't load the video right but let me just say Office Space found the solution to the problem

Edited by LGR4GM

As an IT support person, I can tell you that printer issues are some of the most difficult to resolve. For example, we have a networked copier that most of our office uses as a printer for large print jobs. When I install the 32-bit printer driver, the default paper size is "Letter". When I install the 64-bit driver (for those with Windows 7), the default paper size is "A4" (which is the international paper size for letters). I have to then reset the default. Grr.... :angry:

This one has been festering for about 5 months, but this last week, it's come to a head. There's this guy I work with--we'll call him "Grumpy Co-Worker"--who feels that it's okay to stop by my desk several times a day and regale me with stories of how he was the ONLY guy who hasn't had a document rejected by one of our main clients. He also likes to gripe that the project he and I are working on has the most nit-picky program engineer that he's ever had to work with. Regardless of how many times I've told him that it's GOOD that this guy is being so nit-picky because ultimately it will make every document we produce going forward a better product, he just doesn't get it. Or listen. Or care. "I'm 3 months away from retirement. This place means less and less to me every day."

This week, he's decided that coming over on my lunch hour and chirping at me the entire hour is acceptable. I've tried being subtle by getting up, going to the bathroom, refilling my 100 oz water mug, going to the cafeteria ... every time I come back from wherever, he stops by when he hears me at my cube. I'm to the point where I'm going to have to be brutally blunt and just tell him that my lunch hour is MY time--leave me the hell alone.

But that probably won't sink in either.

Strained my back at work last week and it just will not heal. I'm well beyond the recommended doses of Bayer everyday now. Thinking it might be time to pay the acupuncturist a visit.

Since it occurred at work, doesn't that qualify for work comp? I'd tell someone about it. They're legally obligated to get you the treatment you need!

At hockey last night, the puck was up against the boards directly between the penalty boxes. I stepped up from D and just barely got to the puck before the on coming winger. We collided, I got spun around and in the act of falling, smacked the back of my head on the ledge where the glass meets the boards. I blacked out for a split second and eventually got up, vision still blurry. The ref proceeds to give me two minutes for boarding. The contact was incidental, and I definitely took the worst of it, yet I got to spend two minutes in box. No one could figure that one out, not even the guy I collided with. He thought he was getting the penalty.

As an IT support person, I can tell you that printer issues are some of the most difficult to resolve. For example, we have a networked copier that most of our office uses as a printer for large print jobs. When I install the 32-bit printer driver, the default paper size is "Letter". When I install the 64-bit driver (for those with Windows 7), the default paper size is "A4" (which is the international paper size for letters). I have to then reset the default. Grr.... :angry:

They did some sort of overhaul to the printers in december, so I've figured that this issue is just a growing pain and everything will be smoothed out soon enough.

This one has been festering for about 5 months, but this last week, it's come to a head. There's this guy I work with--we'll call him "Grumpy Co-Worker"--who feels that it's okay to stop by my desk several times a day and regale me with stories of how he was the ONLY guy who hasn't had a document rejected by one of our main clients. He also likes to gripe that the project he and I are working on has the most nit-picky program engineer that he's ever had to work with. Regardless of how many times I've told him that it's GOOD that this guy is being so nit-picky because ultimately it will make every document we produce going forward a better product, he just doesn't get it. Or listen. Or care. "I'm 3 months away from retirement. This place means less and less to me every day."

This week, he's decided that coming over on my lunch hour and chirping at me the entire hour is acceptable. I've tried being subtle by getting up, going to the bathroom, refilling my 100 oz water mug, going to the cafeteria ... every time I come back from wherever, he stops by when he hears me at my cube. I'm to the point where I'm going to have to be brutally blunt and just tell him that my lunch hour is MY time--leave me the hell alone.

Since it occurred at work, doesn't that qualify for work comp? I'd tell someone about it. They're legally obligated to get you the treatment you need!

That sucks, I feel your pain. There is a guy here who makes his rounds every day like clockwork, stopping by desks to just shoot the ###### with people and wasting their time. Luckily this guy is not my manager so he doesn't stop to talk to me that much, but every day its the same thing with the people who report to him that sit near me. What makes it worse is that out of the maybe five or so times that I've needed to go to his office for something, he's been napping at his desk twice. Of course this guy is a shining star around here and the sky is the limit for him on the corporate ladder, yet he does absolutely nothing to contribute to our project other than to be a loyal lapdog to his superiors. Disgusting.

Workers comp, right :rolleyes:

Workers comp, right :rolleyes:

what ...? IT'S THE LAW, MAN!

well, if they won't cover it, do you at least have health insurance that'll cover a doctor's visit? i pulled my back trying to drag a washing machine up from the basement a couple of weeks ago. seriously wrenched my lower lumbar area. went to the doc, they said that i really should be lying down for like 2 weeks, alternating ice packs and heat. they also prescribed some pretty heavy-hitting pain killers. thankfully, i have a severely low-key job (tech writer. i sit at a desk pretty much all day.), so i don't strain my back much at all, but still ... it's not lying down and resting.

That sucks, I feel your pain. There is a guy here who makes his rounds every day like clockwork, stopping by desks to just shoot the ###### with people and wasting their time. Luckily this guy is not my manager so he doesn't stop to talk to me that much, but every day its the same thing with the people who report to him that sit near me. What makes it worse is that out of the maybe five or so times that I've needed to go to his office for something, he's been napping at his desk twice. Of course this guy is a shining star around here and the sky is the limit for him on the corporate ladder, yet he does absolutely nothing to contribute to our project other than to be a loyal lapdog to his superiors. Disgusting.

yah, that's kind of like this guy. contributets nothing of real value, doesn't learn from any kind of peer reviews, swears that his way is absolute and everyone else's is wrong ... yet his manuals are constantly being used as the "less effective" method of writing. and it's from a simple lack of paying attention. i've sat in meetings with him where HIS OWN DOCS are being reviewed, and he took maybe 3 lines of notes. when mine are being reviewed, i burn through pens--not paper. i have notes spanning notebooks from my reviews. this guy ... ugh. he thinks that he's going to get some kind of severence package when the request for voluntary retirement comes up later this year. he's in full DGAS mode ("don't give a ..."), which basically sums up his entire "professional" career. no pride in his product. just "gimme a paycheck" mentality.

yah, that's kind of like this guy. contributets nothing of real value, doesn't learn from any kind of peer reviews, swears that his way is absolute and everyone else's is wrong ... yet his manuals are constantly being used as the "less effective" method of writing. and it's from a simple lack of paying attention. i've sat in meetings with him where HIS OWN DOCS are being reviewed, and he took maybe 3 lines of notes. when mine are being reviewed, i burn through pens--not paper. i have notes spanning notebooks from my reviews. this guy ... ugh. he thinks that he's going to get some kind of severence package when the request for voluntary retirement comes up later this year. he's in full DGAS mode ("don't give a ..."), which basically sums up his entire "professional" career. no pride in his product. just "gimme a paycheck" mentality.

Kids these days. Always wantin' sumtin' fo nuttin'.

what ...? IT'S THE LAW, MAN!

well, if they won't cover it, do you at least have health insurance that'll cover a doctor's visit? i pulled my back trying to drag a washing machine up from the basement a couple of weeks ago. seriously wrenched my lower lumbar area. went to the doc, they said that i really should be lying down for like 2 weeks, alternating ice packs and heat. they also prescribed some pretty heavy-hitting pain killers. thankfully, i have a severely low-key job (tech writer. i sit at a desk pretty much all day.), so i don't strain my back much at all, but still ... it's not lying down and resting.

My insurance will probably cover some nice drugs, I just don't have the time to go see a doctor. I don't have a primary care physician so I'll have to go to the ER. Which is not how I want to spend my evening. My back hurts but I'm managing. Limiting myself to lighter duty at work. I just wish it would get better faster.