Kotalik

Mair

Paille

Pominville

Roy

Stafford

Vanek

The rest could be put on waivers.

Hey I'm not saying they SHOULD count on these guys, or that they would get anything great, but as far as they are concerned Connolly is in the lineup ... same with Max ... and Kaleta ... MacArthur played 37 games last season ... I was not impressed most of the time, but he's in the mix ... hell they got something for Novotny, what's the difference? So we agree they have dead weight. Maybe they all could just get put on waivers, but shouldn't he try to get something first? So he better be shopping someone, that's all I am saying.

Hey I'm not saying they SHOULD count on these guys, or that they would get anything great, but as far as they are concerned Connolly is in the lineup ... same with Max ... and Kaleta ... MacArthur played 37 games last season ... I was not impressed most of the time, but he's in the mix ... hell they got something for Novotny, what's the difference? So we agree they have dead weight. Maybe they all could just get put on waivers, but shouldn't he try to get something first? So he better be shopping someone, that's all I am saying.

I agree. I just wanted to point out the lack of "quality" forwards. I've been hearing and reading for a while now that the Sabres had too many forwards. I keep looking at the roster and say "where?"

I am getting really frustrated that the Sabres have holes and have decided not to do anything about them.

I believe two years from now they'll be our top pairing. I'd rather lock them up now, say 7 years / 21 Mil, than loose them after they blossem because we can't/won't afford them. Sure it's a gamble, but i'd take it.

Weber is only going into his second season and can't be extended until next July at the earliest.

saw this from TFP regarding the oilers' pursuit of hossa.

at the time they threw that offer sheet at vanek, there was some grumbling that, on some level, lowe might just have been fuggin' with us. the fact that they're hot for hossa makes it clear to me that the oilers were doing nothing more nor less than trying to sign a first-line winger when they made that offer to vanek.

saw this from TFP regarding the oilers' pursuit of hossa.

at the time they threw that offer sheet at vanek, there was some grumbling that, on some level, lowe might just have been fuggin' with us. the fact that they're hot for hossa makes it clear to me that the oilers were doing nothing more nor less than trying to sign a first-line winger when they made that offer to vanek.

Of course they wanted him. You don't throw out that kind of money as a bluff. What happens if the team doesn't match? All of a sudden you're stuck with a $7 million guy you didn't want. Oh, and then they went out and got Penner. They weren't playing games, they wanted someone big up front.

If the Sabres trade for Dan Boyle I will projectile vomit. That's a bad idea even if Tampa paid most of his salary. He does nothing to improve this team.

I can't wait until 11:00 to hear Regier cry about "the market place". He has no right to complain about the process when he refuses to get involved in the process.

The Sabres are going into next season with pretty much the same roster they end with this season. The team will be soft and Miller will continue to get run every night with no response from the Sabres. He was lucky not to get injured last season. If Miller gets hurt this season the Sabres better hope for luck in the draft lottery.

I agree... The Boyle thing would be a huge mistake.

I'd rather suit James Patrick back up at that point.

I can't wait until 11:00 to hear Regier cry about "the market place". He has no right to complain about the process when he refuses to get involved in the process.

The Sabres are going into next season with pretty much the same roster they end with this season. The team will be soft and Miller will continue to get run every night with no response from the Sabres. He was lucky not to get injured last season. If Miller gets hurt this season the Sabres better hope for luck in the draft lottery.

For someone who has steadfastly supported management and its plan of developing young players and not overpaying for free agents, you're awfully PO'd. I'd go so far as to say this sounds like a panic reaction to not diving in on day 1 of the UFA season.

As for the players that signed yesterday -- who exactly would you liked to have seen the Sabres get at the contract that player got? IMHO, not a single one of those defensemen would have suited our needs. I assume you don't regret not signing Soupy, Redden, Streit or Finger. Commodore has been dumped by 2 teams in the last 50 days of the NHL season. Brad Stuart wasn't going to leave Detroit to come to Buffalo. Roszival is a good player but not what we needed and wasn't going to leave NYC for Buffalo. Sauer is interesting b/c of his size but I don't know anything else about him.

Frankly the only guys that signed yesterday that I would've wanted the Sabres to sign at the numbers they got were Tucker and Rolston -- and at their ages I could be talked out of it.

I think it's been pretty clear for months that we weren't going to sign a UFA defenseman, but rather that we are going to try to trade for one. I also think we will see a tough veteran forward come in.

Give them a bit of time before you conclude that they're not trying.

I think it's been pretty clear for months that we weren't going to sign a UFA defenseman, but rather that we are going to try to trade for one. I also think we will see a tough veteran forward come in.

For this to be feasible, we are going to have to move at least 2 forwards, if not more. Do you think that will happen? I can see one or two going for a good defenseman, but beyond that I don't know how we'll have room to add anybody at the forward position unless you waive MacArthur...which I am not condoning.

Solid number one means Solid number one money; especially as a free agent, never gonna happen. Our poors mans Commodore is Weber.

It is of my opinion that Weber will have bypassed Commodore in terms of effectiveness by mid-season.

Sorry for the double post, but just a reminder for anyone who wants to hear what Regier has to say tune to WGR550 in about 10 minutes.

Also just a quick thought--man that Campbell trade is looking good today. Ennis and Bernier for nothing? I'll take that--so let's give Darcy a little credit for it at least.

I am still praying to Sweet Jesus that a Bouwmeester trade goes through later this summer.

Same here.

Anyone catch Bucky's comments:

Oh no, you mentioned his name. Prepare for the usual round of Bucky bashing and crying... :wallbash:

I don't get it. Earlier in Bucky's article he said that Regier prefers the patient approach.

So in the same article when he says that the Lalime signing was a move made under pressure, it underlies the slow and steady approach that Gleason purports the Sabres take. What does he think, that all of the 7 goalies were on the phone with Regier, immediately hung up and signed elsewhere? Or that as soon as the other goalies signed, Regier hastily threw together a deal to get Lalime here, and Lalime signed it without doing any research on Buffalo or the team?

Lalime was a solid netminder in the league who has settled into a role as a backup. It's what was said about Thibault, too, I know, but I still think it's a good start when looking for a backup.

It's not hard to believe that Regier didn't think the market for backup goalies would blow up the way it did, and when his options started disappearing he made a decision much faster than he wanted to make sure he got something.

I do believe Lalime was on his list of potential backup candidates, just not his first choice. (I'm also sure that Regier did his homework before July 1, and that all Lalime was concerned with was not playing a Marty Brodeur/3-games backup and that Buffalo hit his contract demands.)

If the Sabres trade for Dan Boyle I will projectile vomit. That's a bad idea even if Tampa paid most of his salary. He does nothing to improve this team.

It's been a while since I've agreed with you so much. And frankly it's starting to scare me a little. ;)

I agree. I just wanted to point out the lack of "quality" forwards. I've been hearing and reading for a while now that the Sabres had too many forwards. I keep looking at the roster and say "where?"

I am getting really frustrated that the Sabres have holes and have decided not to do anything about them.

They really need to get a solid, preferably veteran no.2 center and maybe a more consistent scoring winger to replace Max. I broke down the numbers late in the season, but this team did not score consistently all year long and padded their GF numbers with a bunch of blowouts.

I was ok with what he was saying up until that last comment about being ok up the middle. Even with Timmy healthy, we are borderline up the middle. Anyone, not just Timmy, gets injured and we have a hole. That's a bad plan in general, but when one of your top-two guys is injury-prone, that's just dangerous. :angry:

For this to be feasible, we are going to have to move at least 2 forwards, if not more. Do you think that will happen? I can see one or two going for a good defenseman, but beyond that I don't know how we'll have room to add anybody at the forward position unless you waive MacArthur...which I am not condoning.

I agree. I think we will try to package 2 or more of Max, Stafford, Paille, Bernier, MacArthur and/or prospects/draft picks for a good defenseman. I think there are enough offensively-challenged teams, and that despite most posters' desire to run Max out of town on a rail, that he still has value on the ice and in trade, so that someone will bite. I also wouldn't be surprised if Tallinder or Lydman was included in the package.

It is of my opinion that Weber will have bypassed Commodore in terms of effectiveness by mid-season.

I think Darcy thinks this is quite possible.

Also just a quick thought--man that Campbell trade is looking good today. Ennis and Bernier for nothing? I'll take that--so let's give Darcy a little credit for it at least.

I've been thinking the same thing, although this is really just making the best out of a bad situation that they created.

I was ok with what he was saying up until that last comment about being ok up the middle. Even with Timmy healthy, we are borderline up the middle. Anyone, not just Timmy, gets injured and we have a hole. That's a bad plan in general, but when one of your top-two guys is injury-prone, that's just dangerous.

I agree. If there was a center down on the farm who could fill in, I would feel better, but there is nothin on the farm in terms of centers ready to play at the NHL level.

OK I caught some of it on SabresTV through NHL.com. And I can't say I'm happy about what I just heard. First off, it's official that Darcy's new favorite word is "marketplace". He must have said it at least 20 times.

Here are some highlights, w/ my comments of course :) :

"It surprises me every year, this marketplace."

No reason you should be surprised at this point, especially with the growth of the salary cap yet again.

Q: Any concerns about our RFAs, specifically Paille?

"I talked to Blues yesterday." Darcy was hoping St. Louis would sit on the offer all week before deciding to match. He thought they were going to do that so Vancouver couldn't "reload", but obviously St. Louis didn't do that. He said it's part of the game now to sign RFAs and agents do what's best for their client, etc.

I would have liked to hear Darcy say progress was being made with Paille at least.

On Orpik:

"Certainly we had an interest in Brooks. What he's going to do in the marketplace is going to exceed where we're going to go".

There's the new favorite word, "marketplace". No surprise here IMO.

"We're worried about long-term first, but still trying to take care of short term needs."

- Nothing on Pomminstein contract talks. No progress.

Q: Are you content down the middle (center position)?

"A lot of that is going to hinge on Tim Connolly and his health". "I think we're OK down the middle."

This is what really bugs me. Haven't you learned that you just can't count on Connolly to stay healthy? IMO it is borderline idiotic to assume that Connolly can be relied on to play.

"Patrice Lalime has, as i said, a terrific track record and now as a backup and an older player...great team guy...really works at his game and is good with the young players."

I was ok with what he was saying up until that last comment about being ok up the middle. Even with Timmy healthy, we are borderline up the middle. Anyone, not just Timmy, gets injured and we have a hole. That's a bad plan in general, but when one of your top-two guys is injury-prone, that's just dangerous. :angry:

I agree. They can't really be counting on Connolly, can they? (Although as I've said before I am sort of expecting him to have a big year b/c it's his contract year and he's had a while to rest and get in shape).

Archived