Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

I believe two years from now they'll be our top pairing. I'd rather lock them up now, say 7 years / 21 Mil, than loose them after they blossem because we can't/won't afford them. Sure it's a gamble, but i'd take it.

I think after this season I would evaluate their play and try and lock them up cheap. I think Sekera and Weber have a lot of potential from what we've seen so far. Let's hope they don't pull a Paetsch and completely suck it up this year.

I woke up yesterday feeling optimistic about the Sabres bringing in someone who could make a difference next season. I figured that because their position this year is radically different from the last two seasons heading into July 1 that they'd act differently and be more aggressive.

I'm a bit disappointed that they weren't but I understand. There's a risk in every transaction a team makes, but in free agency the salaries make the risk too great for the Sabres to get into a bidding war on day 1.

I guess we can expect something over the the next few weeks, not hours. It looks like that's how the FO will play it.

I do like the Lalime signing, though. I don't think he's the dregs, and he'll play more that Thibault, hopefully.

In Jon Vogl's article this morning, it said that Regier was interested in two of the FA's that were signed.

" General Manager Darcy Regier had at least two defensemen on his wish list entering the shopping season, but the blue-liners he sought went elsewhere."

Any idea who?

In Jon Vogl's article this morning, it said that Regier was interested in two of the FA's that were signed.

" General Manager Darcy Regier had at least two defensemen on his wish list entering the shopping season, but the blue-liners he sought went elsewhere."

Any idea who?

My money would probably have been on Streit, Finger or Commodore.

Anyone catch Bucky's comments:

Backup goalie Patrick Lalime was hardly an upgrade, especially at $2 million over two years. It looked like a move made under pressure after seven goalies signed in about 90 minutes Tuesday afternoon. If Lalime doesnt play well early, Ryan Miller will be looking at another 70-plus game season.

Vogel reported today: General Manager Darcy Regier had at least two defensemen on his wish list entering the shopping season, but the blue-liners he sought went elsewhere. ?They?re gone,? Regier said, ?so we?re probably going to take a hard look at the trade route [today] and see whether that?s a possibility against what?s left in the marketplace.?

Also- Regarding Orpik DR said this: We did have conversations,Regier said. I dont expect to be a part of that going forward.?

Anyways- Eck is reporting a rumor that Tampa is looking to move Boyle to either Philly or Buffalo. With that insane contract he has he can go to Philly. If the Sabres were to trade for him they would look pretty silly for not spending that type of money elsewhere. Also, Eck is mentioning something about Buffalo being a landing spot for Antti Miettinen? huh? Another winger?

There is no reason to do anything with these guys yet. I don't even think Weber starts the season in Buffalo.

Completely possible. The biggest problem I have with this is that they could really use Weber's physical presence on the team.

Darcy will have a press conference carried by WGR550 at 11am today. Howard Simon is reporting....

2 defensemen were on Darcy's list, both are gone...

Because of that, "we're going to take a hard look at the trade market today".

Well considering he will waste his time talking to the press about how they didn't do what they were trying to do instead of trying to make some deals for FA's or trading, I get the feeling they are done with the FA list.

My money would probably have been on Streit, Finger or Commodore.

Streit was over payed for a guy who sucked so bad on defense that they moved him to wing. I hated the way Campbell played defense and if the Sabres had signed Streit, I just may have gone out on the ice after him. :D

Darcy will have a press conference carried by WGR550 at 11am today. Howard Simon is reporting....

2 defensemen were on Darcy's list, both are gone...

Because of that, "we're going to take a hard look at the trade market today".

Vogel reported the same thing. I'm guessing Streit and Finger?

I REALLY hope we aren't getting Boyle...

Feb 25, 2008 - The Lightning on Monday night signed defenseman Dan Boyle to a six-year deal thought to be worth $40-million. The contract will pay $6.67-million in each season.

He's 32 years old right now, meaning he'd be here well past his prime. Only thing he might help is the powerplay. He doesn't fill our need for some toughness. I don't like the idea.

Backup goalie Patrick Lalime was hardly an upgrade, especially at $2 million over two years. It looked like a move made under pressure after seven goalies signed in about 90 minutes Tuesday afternoon. If Lalime doesn?€™t play well early, Ryan Miller will be looking at another 70-plus game season.

I don't get it. Earlier in Bucky's article he said that Regier prefers the patient approach.

So in the same article when he says that the Lalime signing was a move made under pressure, it underlies the slow and steady approach that Gleason purports the Sabres take. What does he think, that all of the 7 goalies were on the phone with Regier, immediately hung up and signed elsewhere? Or that as soon as the other goalies signed, Regier hastily threw together a deal to get Lalime here, and Lalime signed it without doing any research on Buffalo or the team?

Lalime was a solid netminder in the league who has settled into a role as a backup. It's what was said about Thibault, too, I know, but I still think it's a good start when looking for a backup.

Streit was over payed for a guy who sucked so bad on defense that they moved him to wing.

i agree entirely - he did not appear to be a fit for what the team needs.

if the Sabres had signed Streit, I just may have gone out on the ice after him. :D

:w00t:

Feb 25, 2008 - The Lightning on Monday night signed defenseman Dan Boyle to a six-year deal thought to be worth $40-million. The contract will pay $6.67-million in each season.

He's 32 years old right now, meaning he'd be here well past his prime. Only thing he might help is the powerplay. He doesn't fill our need for some toughness. I don't like the idea.

If they are even thinking about doing that, Orpik would have already been signed.

Oh wait, that would make sense. Nevermind.

Backup goalie Patrick Lalime was hardly an upgrade, especially at $2 million over two years. It looked like a move made under pressure after seven goalies signed in about 90 minutes Tuesday afternoon. If Lalime doesnt play well early, Ryan Miller will be looking at another 70-plus game season.

Vogel reported today: General Manager Darcy Regier had at least two defensemen on his wish list entering the shopping season, but the blue-liners he sought went elsewhere. ?They?re gone,? Regier said, ?so we?re probably going to take a hard look at the trade route [today] and see whether that?s a possibility against what?s left in the marketplace.?

Also- Regarding Orpik DR said this: We did have conversations,Regier said. I dont expect to be a part of that going forward.?

Anyways- Eck is reporting a rumor that Tampa is looking to move Boyle to either Philly or Buffalo. With that insane contract he has he can go to Philly. If the Sabres were to trade for him they would look pretty silly for not spending that type of money elsewhere. Also, Eck is mentioning something about Buffalo being a landing spot for Antti Miettinen? huh? Another winger?

Miettinen? well, his stats aren't much worse than max's last season. maybe this means Darcy is shopping max?

If the Sabres trade for Dan Boyle I will projectile vomit. That's a bad idea even if Tampa paid most of his salary. He does nothing to improve this team.

I can't wait until 11:00 to hear Regier cry about "the market place". He has no right to complain about the process when he refuses to get involved in the process.

The Sabres are going into next season with pretty much the same roster they end with this season. The team will be soft and Miller will continue to get run every night with no response from the Sabres. He was lucky not to get injured last season. If Miller gets hurt this season the Sabres better hope for luck in the draft lottery.

A sour apple for one that is potentially sweeter?

Never know until you bite into it. :thumbsup:

Could be though.

Just for fun, I don't know if this is just my computer but if you put your cursor near the bottom of BetweenThePipes name is his post, the page will freak out.

Oh Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!

but you can also read Mirtle and see that there is a ton of value left after everyone spends themselves silly.

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/

He has to be shopping SOMEONE ... they literally have 15 forwards ... even if they had signed Orpik to fill the defense hole, they still have way too many forwards ... competition for spots is good but not that good ...

I count ten....

Bernier

Gaustad

Hecht

Kotalik

Mair

Paille

Pominville

Roy

Stafford

Vanek

The rest could be put on waivers.

Never know until you bite into it. :thumbsup:

Could be though.

Just for fun, I don't know if this is just my computer but if you put your cursor near the bottom of BetweenThePipes name is his post, the page will freak out.

Exactly. It's one of those "eh screw it, why not" things.

Must be your computer btw, I'm not getting any funky stuff. ;)

Archived