Sabres sign goalie Patrick Lalime; 2 years 2 mil

puma2577

Oops posted this on wrong thread but ...

I promised this would be my response to any goalie signing so here goes on Lalime ... :unsure: ... could be good, could be bad, who the hell knows? If he was consistent he would not be available to back up for cheap ...

I will say I hate the fact he will likely be wearing #40 ... non-traditional numbers bug me, especially on goalies ... man, am I crotchity, or what?

Oops posted this on wrong thread but ...

I promised this would be my response to any goalie signing so here goes on Lalime ... :unsure: ... could be good, could be bad, who the hell knows? If he was consistent he would not be available to back up for cheap ...

I will say I hate the fact he will likely be wearing #40 ... non-traditional numbers bug me, especially on goalies ... man, am I crotchity, or what?

I was crotchety before I heard this and it just ticked me off more. I really feel like we could have done better. I think I would have rather had Raycroft or hell, even CuJo for one year.

Oh well, just preparing myself right now for some underwhelming performances early and another chapter of overworking Ryan down the stretch.

Lalime probably isn't a goalie that you would want to come in and start for you every night, but he will probably be a good pickup to help give Ryan Miller some rest during the season. He was pretty good in Ottawa and I think he could be a decent backup. Now all the Sabres need to do is pick up some physical players for the D and we should be right back hunting for the playoffs and the Northeast.

So far the only place to confirm this as of +/- 5pm is Sportsnet

TSN.ca, NHL.com, and Sabres.com have yet to announce anything yet

PS - Anyone else think its kind of embarrassing that NHL.com has worse coverage of these signings then TSN.ca?

He confirmed it, he was on GR..... lets not forget he was the scape goat in Ottawa and he was over 500 in Chicago... what JT get.. 3 wins? It's an upgrage and he knows and excepts the role.

This is from the email I got from WGR:

The Buffalo Sabres signed goaltender Patrick Lalime to a 2-year contract. Lalime spent last season with the Chicago Blackhawks and told Schopp and the Bulldog Tuesday afternoon he signed with the expectation of playing anywhere from 15 to 20 games.

Lalime started 30 games last season for the Blackhawks, sporting a record of 16-12-2. Stay tuned to WGR - Sports Radio 550 to hear the latest free agent signings from around the league.

This was obviouly a money decision, and not a decision based on finding the best backup.

I too would've preferred Auld, and can not get excited about this move.

Its a signing never the less.

If Buffalo doesn't give him 15-20 starts, it doesn't matter who is backing up Ryan. We thought the same of Conklin and he had an exceptional year with Pitt when given a chance to play regularly. T-BO was never given a real chance. So either he was really, really bad or the Sabre have Miller tunnel vision. T-BO only got in 12 games last year, and at least two of those were in mop up roles.

This was obviously a money decision, and not a decision based on finding the best backup.

I too would've preferred Auld, and can not get excited about this move.

Its a signing never the less.

I guess I really don't understand all the Auld love.. He was a traveling backup until he stopped in Boston last year. In their defensive system Tim Thomas was an all-star, I don't think it says much.

So this is Buffalo's big free-agent headline? I just thought we'd get on the board with

something interesting instead of this 100 year old journeyman who'll be backing up

yo-mamaween.

I'm scratching my head a bit on this one too.

So much for going after someone who could have helped out our D corps.

Then again, Teppo may be back in a somewhat limited role. Still doesn't fill the holes in our Finnish Havarti cheese defense.

Archived