Sabres sign goalie Patrick Lalime; 2 years 2 mil

puma2577

Anybody else see that this guy is 6 foot 3? yeah, Auld is 6-4 but still better than Tbo at 5-11. 'cause you know when they change the pad size to a percent of height he'll have bigger pads and stop goals like bull. :chris:

So now we have yomommaween and yolalalime...

So this is Buffalo's big free-agent headline? I just thought we'd get on the board with

something interesting instead of this 100 year old journeyman who'll be backing up

yo-mamaween.

We're 8 hours into free agency. Its time to burn down the city. :wallbash:

This was obviously a money decision, and not a decision based on finding the best backup.

I too would've preferred Auld, and can not get excited about this move.

Its a signing never the less.

He got the same money all the other backups are getting around the league, including Auld ... maybe they picked the wrong guy, you maybe right there, but it was not about money.

I'm scratching my head a bit on this one too.

So much for going after someone who could have helped out our D corps.

When did every defenseman on the market sign elsewhere?

Anybody else see that this guy is 6 foot 3? yeah, Auld is 6-4 but still better than Tbo at 5-11. 'cause you know when they change the pad size to a percent of height he'll have bigger pads and stop goals like bull. :chris:

So now we have yomommaween and yolalalime...

:lol:

We're 8 hours into free agency. Its time to burn down the city. :wallbash:

:w00t: :w00t: LOLH

Yeah I thought we could have done better at first impression too but then again he did play 30 games last year and actually played well for Chicago down the stretch a team which was not known for a shut down defense helping him out, like a NJD or Detroit. So if they actually work him into a rotation that makes sense maybe it works. DIIK

So this is Buffalo's big free-agent headline? I just thought we'd get on the board with

something interesting instead of this 100 year old journeyman who'll be backing up

yo-mamaween.

You apparently missed the numerous times Darcy said he wasn't going to make a big splash in free agency with the high priced guys..... there is still time and players out there.

Ok, doomsdayers. There were people in this city who considered Ray Emery to be an option. I would have preferred Auld, but we've got Lalime. Let it go. I'm sure the guy can start 15-20 games. He may or may not work out, but it was hardly a horrible signing at that price.

Ok, doomsdayers. There were people in this city who considered Ray Emery to be an option. I would have preferred Auld, but we've got Lalime. Let it go. I'm sure the guy can start 15-20 games. He may or may not work out, but it was hardly a horrible signing at that price.

Ok, I know that some people on here would like to shoot me for some of the things I say on here. However, by no means would I have signed a public relations disaster like Ray Emery to a deal with the Sabres. If I was in Darcy's shoes and had done so, some of you guys would have forced me to the guillotine and made a public display of me like they did with Louis XVI during the French Revolution.

BTW, who on here wanted Ray Emery here in a Sabres uniform? I know this is crass, but I have to ask if you've been admitted to ECMC yet for an evaluation.

I really hope Lalime proves me wrong, but the change in the backup from T-bo to Lalime feels like a lateral move.

Last year we had T-bo, a former starter who never broke through to become the franchise goalie he was once projected to be and skated into town with one bad hip; this year we sign a slightly older career backup with underwhelming post-lockout numbers.

Auld - 2 year $2mil

Lalime - 2 year $2mil

Kolzig- 1 year $1.5mil plus bonuses

Cujo- 1 year 750K

Conklin- 1 year 750K

Raycroft- 1 year 800K

Looks about market price...

They could have had Raycroft for under a mil??? Damn, he is a good backup, but he gets overworked if he is forced to play as a starter for a full season.

They could have had Raycroft for under a mil??? Damn, he is a good backup, but he gets overworked if he is forced to play as a starter for a full season.

Raycroft has a legit chance to fight for a starting job. I think that explains the short contract and money.

He confirmed it, he was on GR..... lets not forget he was the scape goat in Ottawa and he was over 500 in Chicago... what JT get.. 3 wins? It's an upgrage and he knows and excepts the role.

At the time that I posted that, the only place confirming it was Sportsnet. I wouldn't say he is an upgrade just yet. I don't think he is worse then T-Bo, but I wouldn't say he is that much of an upgrade yet.

T-Bo was 3-4-0-2 in 12 games last season with a 3.31 GAA and a .869 SV%

Lalime was 16-12-0-2 in 32 games with a 2.82 GAA and a .897 SV%

Auld (for comparison) was 12-13-0-5 in 32 games with a +/- 2.93 GAA and a +/- .900 SV%

Curtis Sanford is still available I believe with almost identical stats 4-3-0-1 in 16 games with a 2.83 GAA and a .898 SV%

And the only reason I would have stayed away from Emery is because he has the reputation of being a Headcase and a "lockerroom Cancer"/Primadonna. Otherwise, he had an off year this year, but he could be a decent goalie who could have challeged/pushed Miller a little, if he could get his head on straight and not be a distraction. The problem would be that he wouldn't come cheap, and would not be happy as a backup

I'm kind of surprised they didn't go after somone like Phillipe Sauve, he would come cheap, and is a Buffalo Native too. (This was just a joke, I only mention this because I saw he was a Buffalo native, he only played in 2 NHL games last year with a GAA close to 6.00 and the rest of the year he was all over the minors)

Blackhawks fans POV. Their reaction makes me feel a little better about this.

I think this signing had as much to do with his personality as much as his goaltending abilities. It takes a certain kind of guy to only play 15 games a year and not sink the ship. I heard on GR (no link) last year some time that Darcy feels that Ryan can play up to 60 to 65 games a year and expects him to get close to those numbers again this coming year. The signing makes sense to me.

This was obviously a money decision, and not a decision based on finding the best backup.

I too would've preferred Auld, and can not get excited about this move.

Its a signing never the less.

The best back up? The "best back up" is now some teams starting goalie. This looks like an ok move at the most important position we needed. Rivet was great. The team should be ready to compete again

Archived