$2.3 for Gaustad

tom webster

How about a mountain of credit for the Roy contract. It's not that the Sabres won't sign the top level players. They just have a different opinion on who those top level players are and what their value is.

I think that Pominville and Miller were just as much a contributor to the success the Sabres had when Drury was here..They need to sign them and not let them walk next year..Its too hard to replace them..Roy developed way beyond my expectations last year and he turned into a no 1 center imo however he didnt turn into a leader yet. This may be the year that changes. They still need to fill the void left by Drury and a nasty rip your nads off type dman or 2. But to lose those two without a replacement will be disastrous so I am gonna hold giving them credit for anymore than Roy till after I hear they have been signed..IMO they have proved nothing more than being able to let key people leave this organization without replacing them in a timely fashion..

How about a mountain of credit for the Roy contract. It's not that the Sabres won't sign the top level players. They just have a different opinion on who those top level players are and what their value is.

I would like for this to be true. However, they simply have not demonstrated this. They may have chosen to pass on Briere, but they certainly tried and failed to sign both Drury and Soupy, and the information that has surfaced about each of those situation overwhelmingly points to incompetence as the reason. The Roy signing was an excellent signing, but not comparable to Drury and Soupy, each of whom was becoming an elite UFA.

You're going to make me go all the way back to page 1 of this thread? After I just defended you in another thread?

Maybe its just semantics, but retraction to me would apply if I said they weren't going to change their m.o. In the posts in question, I just pointed out that they have yet to do anything out of character. But I have repeatedly posted that I expect them to go out of character in the coming days and weeks. If they do, I will be among the first to acknowledge a change in direction.

b) I believe most teams will pay the top 5 or 6 forwards, 3 or 4 defensemen and goalie. I do not believe that most people will pay a premium for third and fourth liners. Guys like Bernier and Paille are a dime a dozen unless they progress to the point of a Pominville.

I believe this is where DR erred. Two years ago the Sabres ended up with 6 dmen(Tallinder, Lydman, Kalinin, Teppo, Spacek & Soupy) over 2+ mil a year for a very average group. I've stated many times that while you need to pay your best players, you can't just start handing out huge contracts to every player whose contract is up. Decide which players you want to build around and have young players or older vets(role players) whose salaries will be lower, fill out the roster.

I believe this is where DR erred. Two years ago the Sabres ended up with 6 dmen(Tallinder, Lydman, Kalinin, Teppo, Spacek & Soupy) over 2+ mil a year for a very average group. I've stated many times that while you need to pay your best players, you can't just start handing out huge contracts to every player whose contract is up. Decide which players you want to build around and have young players or older vets(role players) whose salaries will be lower, fill out the roster.

Translation- Orpik can play with Weber, Sekera or Pratt for a year or two?!? :blush:

I think that Pominville and Miller were just as much a contributor to the success the Sabres had when Drury was here..They need to sign them and not let them walk next year

Pominville was right near the top of the list in the league for regular strength goals scored over the last two season. Clearly he was a big contributor. Yes, it helps playing with a guy like Briere, but that kind of thing doesn't happen by accident. The not letting him walk comment is a bit misleading though. If he does hit next July without a contract, he'll be restricted. The team would have far more control over the situation than they did last offseason. Ultimately they'll have the final say if that day does get here.

no complaints from me... I love it! Hopefully a few more will follow...

with the price of everyone going up, why are people surprised by the numbers?

A 10 goal scorer making over 2 mil per year? Makes Vanek look like a bargain. I know Gaustad has intangibles, but Sabres management has to be a little smarter. Don't get me wrong, Gaustad works his @$$ off, but Regier or whoever needs to not overreact to losing McKee, Drury, Briere and Campbell by over paying for a grinder.

I'll also say that while Miller has been good, he is not a top five goalie, and I hope they don't over pay for him either. Pominville, Roy, Vanek, Hecht, Tallinder and Lydman should be our base, and everyone else is interchangeable. I'm just wondering if we're going after Orpik, Roszival or Streit in free agency.

A 10 goal scorer making over 2 mil per year? Makes Vanek look like a bargain. I know Gaustad has intangibles, but Sabres management has to be a little smarter. .

Forget the 10 goals, his work on the dot is what he's getting paid for.

If he's not signed - there is a huge hole that the Sabres then would really have to overpay for.

Forget the 10 goals, his work on the dot is what he's getting paid for.

If he's not signed - there is a huge hole that the Sabres then would really have to overpay for.

His work in front of the crease is also one of the intangibles that he brings. I can't even count how many goals were scored with his a$$ in the goalies face.

A 10 goal scorer making over 2 mil per year? Makes Vanek look like a bargain. I know Gaustad has intangibles, but Sabres management has to be a little smarter. Don't get me wrong, Gaustad works his @$$ off, but Regier or whoever needs to not overreact to losing McKee, Drury, Briere and Campbell by over paying for a grinder.

I'll also say that while Miller has been good, he is not a top five goalie, and I hope they don't over pay for him either. Pominville, Roy, Vanek, Hecht, Tallinder and Lydman should be our base, and everyone else is interchangeable. I'm just wondering if we're going after Orpik, Roszival or Streit in free agency.

Yet, if he received an offer sheet for more than that and lost him, how much complaining and criticism of the FO would there be?

Salaries are higher every year. As a fan, I couldn't care less about salaries. I want a winning team.

Yet, if he received an offer sheet for more than that and lost him, how much complaining and criticism of the FO would there be?

Salaries are higher every year. As a fan, I couldn't care less about salaries. I want a winning team.

It is good that you don't care about how much players are being paid, but there is this little thing called a salary cap and another called the Sabres payroll budget. For each player that is overpaid, there is that much less for the players who could be brought in via trade or FA or for other current players that are underpaid.

Archived