$2.3 for Gaustad

tom webster

It is a little high and it continues to be their M.O. They pay a little higher for the mid level guys, pay fairly well on the low level guys and lose out on the creme de la creme.

Same old same old

Same old point of view that constantly requires correcting

Man, it gets boring.

lol they actually sign someone and all anyone here does is complain.

Complaining would be- DAM..Why did they sign goose.

I think people are just surprised at how high the front office had to go in order to get the deal done.

People are still happy we have goose. Thats not the issue.

I think people are just surprised at how high the front office had to go in order to get the deal done.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

From what I gather I believe the reason the cost is a bit high is that the sabres did just buy the first three years of UFA from him where even though production isn't close to elite, he still could have got close to 3mil on the market. I'm happy he's here for a while longer. Even at the 2.3 cap tag

If the deal is high, it isn't high by much. His numbers are slightly better than Chris Kelly and would he would have gotten more for year 1 and then UFA status through arbitration.

It also sets a good posture to play defense against any possible RFA offer sheets for Paille and Bernier.

I'm happy.

If the deal is high, it isn't high by much. His numbers are slightly better than Chris Kelly and would he would have gotten more for year 1 and then UFA status through arbitration.

It also sets a good posture to play defense against any possible RFA offer sheets for Paille and Bernier.

I'm happy.

Well said. I thought I said the same thing but with a dose of cynicism.

I applaud Goose for taking the hometown discount. Someone would have come in and hugged the $2.6 million line to give up a 2nd rounder. There was also a chance someone could have gone fruitloops and offered more, but Gaustad and his agent knew $2.6 was probably the number so show a little goodwill and sign the deal tonight.

Gaustad was a disappointment because of Ruff in my opinion. He made Gaustad lose weight to become quicker. It ended up dumbing him down into the system instead of playing with an edge. That was one of the reasons I was so sure another team would offer him good money. The first thing I would have done was to have him eating steak and potatoes until camp, don't take a shower until camp, and don't touch a lady until camp. Then you'd get the Gaustad that we were expecting.

If Olesz can get $3.25 million/year for his 77 points in 190 NHL games (0.40 ppg), I guess $2.3 million/year for Goose's 82 points in 215 games (0.38 ppg) is about right ... I know it's not all about numbers, and they are different types of players ... it just doesn't seem that high to me ... the way the league is going, that is what it costs to keep a solid role player who kills penalties and occasionally gets PP time ... the guys who can score a little, like Malone, get twice what Goose got.

I applaud Goose for taking the hometown discount. Someone would have come in and hugged the $2.6 million line to give up a 2nd rounder. There was also a chance someone could have gone fruitloops and offered more, but Gaustad and his agent knew $2.6 was probably the number so show a little goodwill and sign the deal tonight.

Gaustad was a disappointment because of Ruff in my opinion. He made Gaustad lose weight to become quicker. It ended up dumbing him down into the system instead of playing with an edge. That was one of the reasons I was so sure another team would offer him good money. The first thing I would have done was to have him eating steak and potatoes until camp, don't take a shower until camp, and don't touch a lady until camp. Then you'd get the Gaustad that we were expecting.

Showers are okay, just don't wash the equipment. The stink makes ya skate faster...

So Dwight, my guess is that our bet is going to end up a wash. 2.3 for Goose, 1.7 for Paille and 1 for Bernier.

Could be but I just don't think they are sold on either Paille or Bernier yet.

Someone may still drop a sheet here. If Bernier was good enough to be traded with a 1st for a guy that is rumored to be getting $8.4 million per year, either Darcy was ripped a new 5-hole, or Bernier will be making more than $1 million just to save face if not because someone feels he's worth more.

At $56 million on the cap, I think everyone needs to adjust their ideas of overpaid. I would have no problem trading a 2nd for either Paille or Bernier, then signing them to 4 year, 9 million deals. At worst they are 4th line guys. When you project the cap out 4 years, it will average out at $60 million+. $2 million on a player with some talent is not really taking a risk anymore...at least for the "real" teams.

Someone may still drop a sheet here. If Bernier was good enough to be traded with a 1st for a guy that is rumored to be getting $8.4 million per year, either Darcy was ripped a new 5-hole, or Bernier will be making more than $1 million just to save face if not because someone feels he's worth more.

At $56 million on the cap, I think everyone needs to adjust their ideas of overpaid. I would have no problem trading a 2nd for either Paille or Bernier, then signing them to 4 year, 9 million deals. At worst they are 4th line guys. When you project the cap out 4 years, it will average out at $60 million+. $2 million on a player with some talent is not really taking a risk anymore...at least for the "real" teams.

A couple of things;

a) The cap is unlikely to rise at the rate it has. Besides the increase in revenue, the cap was being exponentially raised because the percentage of revenue was also rising to the maximum 56%.

b) I believe most teams will pay the top 5 or 6 forwards, 3 or 4 defensemen and goalie. I do not believe that most people will pay a premium for third and fourth liners. Guys like Bernier and Paille are a dime a dozen unless they progress to the point of a Pominville.

c) I don't think any team wants to limit their flexibility to the point of having 15 or 16 guys on long term contracts. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bernier or Paille go with Stafford this off season.

It's also reasonably likely that with the contract and the corresponding vote of confidence from Lindy and management, Gaustad takes more of a leadership role next year and plays with more of an edge.

As for Tom's comment about paying the mid-level and lower-level guys well, but not the cream of the crop -- it really can't be disputed until they re-sign Miller and Pominville. I'll give them a bit of credit for Vanek, but not that much. Once they sign those 2 guys, though, Tom (IMHO) will have to retract.

It's also reasonably likely that with the contract and the corresponding vote of confidence from Lindy and management, Gaustad takes more of a leadership role next year and plays with more of an edge.

As for Tom's comment about paying the mid-level and lower-level guys well, but not the cream of the crop -- it really can't be disputed until they re-sign Miller and Pominville. I'll give them a bit of credit for Vanek, but not that much. Once they sign those 2 guys, though, Tom (IMHO) will have to retract.

I don't know that I will have to retract. I have said in posts after posts that I expect a lot this off season. All I said that got me singled out was that up till now, they have done nothing different. It is interesting that they may be negotiating with Miller as a sign to others that they are serious.

I don't know that I will have to retract. I have said in posts after posts that I expect a lot this off season. All I said that got me singled out was that up till now, they have done nothing different. It is interesting that they may be negotiating with Miller as a sign to others that they are serious.

Or maybe they're negotiating with Miller as a sign to Miller that they want to sign him. <_<

Or maybe they're negotiating with Miller as a sign to Miller that they want to sign him. <_<

Don't think there's ever been a doubt they want him. He had said he wasn't in a hurry. They had said they weren't even allowed to talk to him till July 1st. Now they are talking to him just as they are busy trying to add to the team. You connect the dots.

It is a little high and it continues to be their M.O. They pay a little higher for the mid level guys, pay fairly well on the low level guys and lose out on the creme de la creme.

You're going to make me go all the way back to page 1 of this thread? After I just defended you in another thread?

Don't think there's ever been a doubt they want him. He had said he wasn't in a hurry. They had said they weren't even allowed to talk to him till July 1st. Now they are talking to him just as they are busy trying to add to the team. You connect the dots.

Miller and Regier have negotiated two other contracts with minimal drama. That both would want to keep current negotiations out of the press is not unreasonable.

How about a mountain of credit for the Roy contract. It's not that the Sabres won't sign the top level players. They just have a different opinion on who those top level players are and what their value is.

Archived