My Thoughts From Day 2

slapshot1619

I happened to be in the Falls for lunch with a friend and stopped by Sabres rookie camp afterward. Here are some of my thoughts on the camp.

Tyler Myers:

He is a BIG dude. towered over most of the rest of the roster. He's a very smooth skater and from what I saw never got beat to the outside. The kid loves to play the body, and I'm not talking checking, since there is little checking in these camps. on the one-on-one drill, Myers frequently played the body and impeded progress on the forward coming on goal and just swallowed any momentum the forward had. I came away impressed. HE could turn into a very solid defenseman.

Tyler Ennis:

Not very impressed with the other Tyler he just seemed very... I don't know... meh.... maybe he is a bit overwhelmed. I really hope he improves as camp goes on.

Jhonas Enroth:

Enroth is going to be a great goalie he has cat-like reflexes and very rarely got beat in drills, he may need to get a bit more patient before going down to his pads as he did get beat high a couple times on shooting drills. I think Dennis will get alot of starts early on next year in Portland. By mid season he and Enroth will be spliting time, and by season's end I think enroth will be the number one in Portland.

Nathan Gerbe:

the exact opposite of Myers, the kid is small... Watching them warm up just as the practice started, I noticed the top of his head barely came up to Stafford's shoulder. On the ice he is a player though. He's a ball of energy and very very quick. Very skilled as well scored a very nice goal beating Eidsness 5-hole on a corner drill.

Funny Stuff:

One thing that I found funny was a play involving Andrew Orpik and Mike Weber. Weber had an outstanding day, but got a little cocky and started being very aggressive on D. There was a play where he bit off more than he could chew where he tried to take the body on Orpik and Weber basically bounced off of Orpik like a ragdoll. I got a kick out of it Weber got up and Orpik gave him a little wink and continued with the drills.

Marek Zagrapan:

Somewhere I read that on day one he seemed to be out of shape, but looked fine on day two. One of the coaches, not lindy, Corsi maybe... started getting on him like he made a boneheaded play. I missed it, but whatever. He liked to take the unlikely shot and beat Dennis far side on a nice shot in offensive zone drills. Very shifty I have a feeling he'll play better in training camp as he seems like a player that does better in game situations.

Surprises:

Paul Byron:

He looks like he is 12, but man is he quick.

Jordan Southern:

Looked a bit slow, but very solid defenseman hope he develops

Dennis Persson:

Didn't expect much, I was calling for the sabres not to sign him and was a bit surprised when they did. He was one of the best defensemen on the ice IMHO, very solid d play, never got beat, and played very physical. I think the sabres may have found a faster Richard Smehlik. Solid, don't hear much about him.

Drew Mackenzie:

Got beat pretty bad on one-on-one drills, hoping its just rust cuz he seemed off his game

Overall:

I was hoping to see more of Brennan, Biega and Kennedy, but from what I saw Brennan has the skill,but looked a bit green. Biega is quick and has a wicked shot can't wait to see him in the A soon. Kennedy surprised me in that I was expecting him a bit more of him, maybe it was all the hometown kid hype about him, but he seemed pretty invisible from what I saw. I will admit I didn't see too much of him since I spent more time on the big rink with Myers, Enroth and a good group of Dmen. All in all it was only a rookie camp in June Maybe things will be different in Training Camp who knows.

--Slapshot

Cool. I hope Enroth goes into Portland as the starter, though. And very glad to hear that Myers was impressive. Does he look like he needs to add weight?

Definitely, he's still a bit of a beanpole, but he made moving along the boards hell for one forward whose name I could not make out. He didn't throw his body around at all(no one did, Kaleta included), but played very physical so more weight definitely i going to be needed. He's only 18 so he's got alot of room to grow and add muscle.

Overall:

I was hoping to see more of Brennan, Biega and Kennedy, but from what I saw Brennan has the skill,but looked a bit green. Biega is quick and has a wicked shot can't wait to see him in the A soon. Kennedy surprised me in that I was expecting him a bit more of him, maybe it was all the hometown kid hype about him, but he seemed pretty invisible from what I saw. I will admit I didn't see too much of him since I spent more time on the big rink with Myers, Enroth and a good group of Dmen. All in all it was only a rookie camp in June Maybe things will be different in Training Camp who knows.

--Slapshot

I hope my work performance isn't based on such a small sample size. :unsure:

You have over three thousand posts, not including the crash. We have plenty to judge you on. ;)

Almost excatly what I was thinking as I was reading through it. :w00t:

Seriously, it was just one day, but first impressions don't hurt a bit.

Very interesting post. I was just wondering about Myers. We keep hearing that he needs to put on 30 or 40 lbs. He's only 18 so he gain some of that naturally. But in the NFL when they say that a guy needs to put on some "size" that's usually code for steroids. Is the same true in hockey and we just don't here about it as often?

I hope my work performance isn't based on such a small sample size. :unsure:

Almost excatly what I was thinking as I was reading through it.

Oh sorry, my apologies... next time I'll make sure to write a full article on all things on every single person...

Sheesh, I was there, I jotted down a few thoughts from that day... I'm not going to be there every single day and make one huge final assessment I'm just relaying what I saw. A few stood out while a few didn't seem to stand out. <_< <_<

Oh sorry, my apologies... next time I'll make sure to write a full article on all things on every single person...

Sheesh, I was there, I jotted down a few thoughts from that day... I'm not going to be there every single day and make one huge final assessment I'm just relaying what I saw. A few stood out while a few didn't seem to stand out. <_< <_<

I appreciate the insight but it seemed as if you planned out each kids career based on a few minutes of drills.

I happened to be in the Falls for lunch with a friend and stopped by Sabres rookie camp afterward. Here are some of my thoughts on the camp.

Tyler Myers:

He is a BIG dude. towered over most of the rest of the roster. He's a very smooth skater and from what I saw never got beat to the outside. The kid loves to play the body, and I'm not talking checking, since there is little checking in these camps. on the one-on-one drill, Myers frequently played the body and impeded progress on the forward coming on goal and just swallowed any momentum the forward had. I came away impressed. HE could turn into a very solid defenseman.

Tyler Ennis:

Not very impressed with the other Tyler he just seemed very... I don't know... meh.... maybe he is a bit overwhelmed. I really hope he improves as camp goes on.

Jhonas Enroth:

Enroth is going to be a great goalie he has cat-like reflexes and very rarely got beat in drills, he may need to get a bit more patient before going down to his pads as he did get beat high a couple times on shooting drills. I think Dennis will get alot of starts early on next year in Portland. By mid season he and Enroth will be spliting time, and by season's end I think enroth will be the number one in Portland.

Nathan Gerbe:

the exact opposite of Myers, the kid is small... Watching them warm up just as the practice started, I noticed the top of his head barely came up to Stafford's shoulder. On the ice he is a player though. He's a ball of energy and very very quick. Very skilled as well scored a very nice goal beating Eidsness 5-hole on a corner drill.

Funny Stuff:

One thing that I found funny was a play involving Andrew Orpik and Mike Weber. Weber had an outstanding day, but got a little cocky and started being very aggressive on D. There was a play where he bit off more than he could chew where he tried to take the body on Orpik and Weber basically bounced off of Orpik like a ragdoll. I got a kick out of it Weber got up and Orpik gave him a little wink and continued with the drills.

Marek Zagrapan:

Somewhere I read that on day one he seemed to be out of shape, but looked fine on day two. One of the coaches, not lindy, Corsi maybe... started getting on him like he made a boneheaded play. I missed it, but whatever. He liked to take the unlikely shot and beat Dennis far side on a nice shot in offensive zone drills. Very shifty I have a feeling he'll play better in training camp as he seems like a player that does better in game situations.

Surprises:

Paul Byron:

He looks like he is 12, but man is he quick.

Jordan Southern:

Looked a bit slow, but very solid defenseman hope he develops

Dennis Persson:

Didn't expect much, I was calling for the sabres not to sign him and was a bit surprised when they did. He was one of the best defensemen on the ice IMHO, very solid d play, never got beat, and played very physical. I think the sabres may have found a faster Richard Smehlik. Solid, don't hear much about him.

Drew Mackenzie:

Got beat pretty bad on one-on-one drills, hoping its just rust cuz he seemed off his game

Overall:

--Slapshot

Nice report...I just back from Florida. Where is camp and how long is it going on for?

I appreciate the insight but it seemed as if you planned out each kids career based on a few minutes of drills.

Sorry Ink, I'm not seeing where I planned out the kids careers day two into their rookie camp. Hell I didn't give estimated time frames on when or if they'll be on the big club. I merely relayed my thoughts on that particular day, said who looked good, and who didn't stand out. Did I call anyone a bust? No. did I predict Superstardom? No.

on Myers I said

He could turn into a very solid defenseman.

Never said he was a sure thing

On Ennis I Said

He was unimpressive, I never said he was a bust one preliminary rookie camp into his career

Ok... on Enroth I see where I got a bit excited, but to my defense he was indeed very impressive that day and has a bit of hype on him. he's had very good seasons in the Elitserien and in the U18 tourney no they are not the NHL, but I'm not calling him the next Parent, Roy, or Sawchuk. If he flops I'll be disappointed, but I'll get over it.

I don't see anywhere else in my post where I could have been misleading in my words. Perhaps you read too much into one poor schlubs(Myself) thoughts on one day of rookie camp. I thought I'd share my thoughts and maybe get a discussion going with any other fans who may have seen these kids elsewhere either on other days of camp or in other circumstances(Junior Games, College Games, Tourneys,etc...)

From the rest of us to Slapshot:Go to more camps and write more posts like this. It was great. Informative and inciteful. And for those of us who live too far away to go, it was a reason to be excited about the Sabres. Something we haven't been able to be for almost a year now.

honestly thats as apologetic as it got...

Since you called Inkman Tom,maybe the worst thing you could call him, I feel I must respond. I didn't mean to belittle your effort or be overly critical. I just think as a matter of principal, that any review after the first day is way to premature. Its no different then trying to judge the Bills based on organized team activities. I've read five reviews of the Sabres' developmental camp and you would have swore that all five people were at different camp.

Knock yourself, review away. What you care what I think anyway?

Archived