Should the Sabres retire Hasek's #39???

mis3384

He was the best goalie Buffalo has ever had, he won more games and more awards.....

What would you do?

Do u think they should retire his number?

--- If he goes in the hall as a Buffalo Sabre then YES def.....if he goes in as a Red Wing then yes they still should....

you go in as a person not associated with a team like baseball :) so it won't matter

I'm trying to process this idea that Hasek revolutionized goaltending. I don't know. I don't see goalies batting the puck out to center ice, dropping the goalie stick to cover the puck or charging above the circles very much. His signature move, flopping in the crease and throwing his arm over his head, isn't commonly seen. (Not to mention that certainly someone else did it before him.) Maybe we haven't seen the generation of goalies who would have been most influenced by him yet, the kids who are in their teens now. Or maybe I'm all wet.

Hasek was unique. I don't think we'll see his like again.

I'm trying to process this idea that Hasek revolutionized goaltending. I don't know. I don't see goalies batting the puck out to center ice, dropping the goalie stick to cover the puck or charging above the circles very much. His signature move, flopping in the crease and throwing his arm over his head, isn't commonly seen. (Not to mention that certainly someone else did it before him.) Maybe we haven't seen the generation of goalies who would have been most influenced by him yet, the kids who are in their teens now. Or maybe I'm all wet.

I think you're right - Dom was well on his way to making the scene ~10 years ago - if there were a generation of goalies who were going to mimic his style, moves, decisions, we'd be seeing them by now. To the extent he "revolutionized the position," he'll likely go down as a one-man revolution.

Still, was he ever something to see. A column in today's paper recalled how people buying tickets back in the late 90s would go with the shoots-once end during Dom's prime -- I was one of those people, but had forgotten about it until I saw it in print today.

Without a doubt, Hasek's number should be retired. With all of his accomplishments as a Sabre, plus being part of our 2nd Stanley Cup Finals in team history, he should be honored.

I remember listening to Game 6 vs the devils (1st rd playoffs in 94') in my car, while waiting at the drive-thru at Texas Hots on Seneca St. Once I heard that Dave "The Cannon" Hannan scored, I went nuts. I still can't believe that Hasek had 70 saves, 4 OT's and still got the shutout, that was truly amazing.

Without a doubt, Hasek's number should be retired. With all of his accomplishments as a Sabre, plus being part of our 2nd Stanley Cup Finals in team history, he should be honored.

It would be more entertaining if they could get Jim Kelley to be the emcee that night so he and Hasek could re-enact the infamous choking incident as the number goes up to the rafters. Just...a...thought...

Actually, I ran into Mr. Kelley a couple years ago and I obviously had to ask him about that. He likes to joke about it, but the funny thing is, it seems that there is still a hint of resentment for Hasek in general.

It would be more entertaining if they could get Jim Kelley to be the emcee that night so he and Hasek could re-enact the infamous choking incident as the number goes up to the rafters. Just...a...thought...

Actually, I ran into Mr. Kelley a couple years ago and I obviously had to ask him about that. He likes to joke about it, but the funny thing is, it seems that there is still a hint of resentment for Hasek in general.

Maybe they could get Ted Nolan to come to the ceremony.

I have to agree.

This kind of mental unhingement is what happens when you stay away from the board for two months. You have only yourself to blame. Now pull yourself up by your bootstraps and put that twisted brain to work on the key question facing us all: is spendcheeze really a chick?

Why would I not be a "chick"? Last time I checked I was one. NIFOC MLM

Are you a real man? SIS

Why would I not be a "chick"? Last time I checked I was one. NIFOC MLM

Are you a real man? SIS

Sorry -- did not mean to offend or disrespect. I only mentioned you because you've burst onto this board like a supernova, and you may have noticed that there aren't many (or any) other women that hang out here, especially not with a sense of humor raunchy enough to be a guy.

FWIW I'm married to a professional woman (not that kind) and 2 of my business partners are women (one of whom is an absolute powerhouse in her field).

Mercy!

Sorry -- did not mean to offend or disrespect. I only mentioned you because you've burst onto this board like a supernova, and you may have noticed that there aren't many (or any) other women that hang out here, especially not with a sense of humor raunchy enough to be a guy.

FWIW I'm married to a professional woman (not that kind) and 2 of my business partners are women (one of whom is an absolute powerhouse in her field).

Mercy!

Hmm, Supernova sounds good. That's a lot to live up to. Just something to do during the summer. Most of my good friends from college are headed back home. My goal - to make everyone a hockey fan. How can people NOT like the game? As for the raunchy, just trying to keep up. B-)

-out

I think more or less you'll see elements of his game in kids... but remember Goaltending schools and Coaches in general prefer to teach their kids sound fundamentals, not wild acrobatic crazy crap, even if it was incredibly effective for Dom. Thus, you'll never see anything like him unless some kid decides to teach himself and becomes some sort of savant.

see, if you want to keep tabs on what someone's doing without calling attention to "yourself" (such as the "self" is 'round here), the thing to do is log out and then check the profile.

:bag:

Check out your newest stalker.

P.S. Yikes, check out who has the most profile views.

Hasek's #39 being raised to the rafter should be in the works(for next season) as I write this and while they are at, take down all the other retired numbers except for #11(greatest player in Sabre history) and #2(extenuating circumstances).

The front office has made a mockery of this especially with the retirement of LaFontaine's and Gare's numbers.

Don't worry DeLuca, at least one person got it. :thumbsup:

I got the refrence guys... I think you missed mine.

I loved Hasek while he was in Buffalo, but he left on the worst possible terms. No other goalie was better then him at that time.

He deserved all of the MVP's, Vezina's etc, but at the end of the day he decided to spit in our face and made sure we were no better off for it. Thats unforgivable.

Let'em hang in Detroit.

Archived