Daniel Paille

inkman

I have to admit, I thought Paille was Mike Ryan without the wheels but I have been thoroughly impressed with his play this year. He's really coming into his own and with the variety of goals that I have seen, the only thing that may have been holding him back was confidence. I thought his hands were garbage but the his goals have ranged from scrappy to straight up sniper. I am eating a large helping of crow and am happy to do so. I thought his potential was 3rd or 4th liner but I think he could play on just about any second line in the league. His game is well rounded, from body checking to defensive zone coverage. I was trying to come up with a player he most resembles and Eric Cole came to mind. Anyone agree?

i would agree. He's developing into a very good 2 way player and he's got some major finishing touch. He rarely dazzles anyone nor does he seem to make a game breaking mistake. He's just sorta there like 80% of the time. The other 20% is the time right after he scores, when you're scratching your head wondering how the hell daniel paille scored that goal.

Agreed. Paille has a bright future, though I think there is still much room for improvement in his game. Consistency on the forecheck comes to mind, as well as decision making with the puck in the neutral and offensive zones. I'm basing that on watching him over the last 10 games or so. That said, he's a talented player and looks to be an integral part of the Sabres future.

I also liked Mike Ryan's play before going down to injury. He brought an energy to the forecheck that this club tends to lack. Sucks about his hands though. Maybe his scoring touch will improve in years to come...

He has been as streaky as the team this season. When he's on, he is really on. When he's off, he disappears. What has really amazed me are his slapper goals from the left offensive-zone face-off circle. He's had a few of those and the goalies look like they have no chance on what should be an easy save.

Maybe he expects more of Paille than some of the other youngsters?

This has to be it. I was going to mention it in my first post and I completely forgot. I think Lindy has really high expectations of Danny and wants to let him know.

I've stated many times this season that I'm shocked at how Paille has turned it around. Not only didn't I expect him to have an outside shot at 20 goals, but he has finally shown some physical play and has been a solid PKer.

It looks like they have found a solid 3rd line player for many years to come assuming he keeps his head on straight and stays out of Lindy's doghouse. :thumbsup:

In my opinion, we need to use Paille better. Lindy has incredibly high expecations of Paille and hence he scratches him to give Paille motivation because he knows Paille is better. At the same time, I don't feel like he is being used effectively. One thing we really haven't had all season was a checking line that played against other team's top lines like we had with Drury, Barnes, Curtis Brown, and Peca before that. We've put Goose with Hecht and Pominville to play that role, but Hecht and Pominville should not be in those roles. Hecht and Pominville should play against other teams' second scoring lines. What I would like to see is use Paille with Goose and maybe Stafford or Bernier to be a true checking line that faces every team's top line. Paille is a really good player, but I think Lindy needs to use him more effectively, and we need to have a shutdown line that can give our scorers more of an opportunity to score instead of have them be checkers.

lol, but that doesn't make everyone a captain. I mean someone actually suggested we give Kaleta the C.

in five years, I might agree. But to give him the C now is just retarded.

Captain isn't enough for Kaleta. I say make him the Admiral of the 4th line...

I have to admit, I thought Paille was Mike Ryan without the wheels but I have been thoroughly impressed with his play this year. He's really coming into his own and with the variety of goals that I have seen, the only thing that may have been holding him back was confidence. I thought his hands were garbage but the his goals have ranged from scrappy to straight up sniper. I am eating a large helping of crow and am happy to do so. I thought his potential was 3rd or 4th liner but I think he could play on just about any second line in the league. His game is well rounded, from body checking to defensive zone coverage. I was trying to come up with a player he most resembles and Eric Cole came to mind. Anyone agree?

Right on man!

I like the way he plays with that good combination of physical play and scoring ability. I remember that he was highly thought of when they drafted him. He could be a captain some day but right now he's still really young. If Paille signs long term this summer, he's going on my jersey, which I bought at the start of this year and is still blank!

Hecht would make a good captain based on what he means to the team on the ice, but in the dressing room, he comes across as kind of quiet. Roy could be captain material as well. He was captain of the Kitchener Rangers who won the Memorial Cup in his last year on junior.

agree 100% - took the words right outa my mouth. The crow tastes pretty good, too. A bit gamey though...

This is probably why Lindy keeps scratching him.

Maybe he expects more of Paille than some of the other youngsters?

that and he is one of the players that also responds to what lindy is teaching him, thats where be a coach can be fun...

agree 100% - took the words right outa my mouth. The crow tastes pretty good, too. A bit gamey though...

I think Cole is a little more power forward, offenseive minded.

I'm thinking Paille reminds me of a Jere Lehtinen type ( except left handed) . Steady, good in his own end. I, like you, have been surprised by his offensive production.

I think Cole is a little more power forward, offenseive minded.

I'm thinking Paille reminds me of a Jere Lehtinen type ( except left handed) . Steady, good in his own end. I, like you, have been surprised by his offensive production.

Good call. I was hoping to see some other names, as I was not completely comfortable with the Cole comparison.

Archived