If it wasn't obvious already...

thesportsbuff

Nice to see Nathan growing up before our very eyes.

Yes it is. It's one of the very best things in sports to see a young player grow up. Vankek was earlier this year, Pominville last year, Campbell, Roy, Kotalik and Kalinin before that. I know I have said this before, but the 1990's were a dreadful era of young player development for the Sabres. Audette and who else? This is one of the best things about this team, they find young talent and make it work.

Nate's one of those guys that we need to find ice time for. PP QB, 4th line winger, defensive shifts, whatever. He is showing that he deserves and has earned more ice time, IMO.

If only someone had come up with the idea playing Paetsch instead of Peters earlier in the year :wallbash:

Umm, Tallinder missed 35 games, so we needed Paetscher on D, and he was playing. Peters on the other hand.....

Yes! But I was saying it before Tallinder was hurt. I said it all preseason that the Sabres would be better off to play a 7th defensemen to get him ready than to play Peters.

Well one of the two gets bumped when Novotny comes back, so it's really not that obvious.

Yeah that is a forcing function. Based on what I saw last night and the level of Novo's play of late, that is going to be a tough decision. I mean did anyone miss Novo last night? Was it just one of those games where Boston got caught in a perfect storm or was it as sign that there was much better chemistry out there with the new lines? Thursday will tell cause if anyone's coming out mad, it is Boston. And then it is on to Jersey and Atlanta.

I think one of the articles in the Buff. News today states that Novotny tweaked his ankle sprain again yesterday and so will not play tomorrow night.

I actually think that Novotny has been playing pretty well lately -- ie getting dropped from Drury's line down to the 4th line lit a fire under him (or maybe it was just playing with Mair). He seemed to me to be playing with much more desperation.

So, although I don't expect the spot in the lineup to just be handed to him if he's not earning it in practice, I do think Novotny will go back in when he's ready, Paetsch will stay in and Paille will get sent back down.

So, although I don't expect the spot in the lineup to just be handed to him if he's not earning it in practice, I do think Novotny will go back in when he's ready, Paetsch will stay in and Paille will get sent back down.

Exactly. The money still comes into play here and Paille is the only one who can be freely moved to Rochester.

Paille is a guy whose play seems to stand out(in a good way) over the last few games. The same cannot be said for other players who when the game ends you say..."I didn't notice <insert player name> once".

The only issue I have with Paille is that he was had numerous chances and doesn't seem to have the best set of hands. Hopefully this will improve as he gains confidence.

If only someone had come up with the idea playing Paetsch instead of Peters earlier in the year :wallbash:

I should have seen this coming from DeLuca... Another anti-Peters rant.

You do have a point, though. Come to think of it, even Adam Mair is more productive than Peters (and can still fight with the best of them).

I should have seen this coming from DeLuca... Another anti-Peters rant.

You do have a point, though. Come to think of it, even Adam Mair is more productive than Peters (and can still fight with the best of them).

I wouldn't call it a rant. Just pointing out that what the Sabres are doing is what I thought they should have been doing all along. Put your best players on the ice every night. When you dress Peters you are not putting your best team out there.

Hopefully Peters has seen his last shift. The goal is the playoffs and the Cup. It's time to get players ready that can help you obtain those goals.

I wouldn't call it a rant. Just pointing out that what the Sabres are doing is what I thought they should have been doing all along. Put your best players on the ice every night. When you dress Peters you are not putting your best team out there.

Hopefully Peters has seen his last shift. The goal is the playoffs and the Cup. It's time to get players ready that can help you obtain those goals.

On a side note, from what I've seen so far, Mair is a better fighter than Peters and I wouldn't rule Gaustad out in that competition as well.

On a side note, from what I've seen so far, Mair is a better fighter than Peters and I wouldn't rule Gaustad out in that competition as well.

By far Mair is better. I don't even think its close.

It may seem to come across that I hate fighting. I really don't. I loved the Lydman fight last night. He got bloodied but put in a great effort. The Bruin was trying to send a message to the Sabres that the Bruins wouldn't be steamrolled again and Lydman stood up for the Sabres. That's where fighting has a place in the NHL. Not each team throwing out their Rock'em Sock'em Robots and wasteing our time with a pointless fight.

By far Mair is better. I don't even think its close.

It may seem to come across that I hate fighting. I really don't. I loved the Lydman fight last night. He got bloodied but put in a great effort. The Bruin was trying to send a message to the Sabres that the Bruins wouldn't be steamrolled again and Lydman stood up for the Sabres. That's where fighting has a place in the NHL. Not each team throwing out their Rock'em Sock'em Robots and wasteing our time with a pointless fight.

Agreed. I found it funny that the Boston publications unanimously annointed Boyes the winner when I felt it was a pretty even fight.

Archived