If it wasn't obvious already...

thesportsbuff

By far Mair is better. I don't even think its close.

It may seem to come across that I hate fighting. I really don't. I loved the Lydman fight last night. He got bloodied but put in a great effort. The Bruin was trying to send a message to the Sabres that the Bruins wouldn't be steamrolled again and Lydman stood up for the Sabres. That's where fighting has a place in the NHL. Not each team throwing out their Rock'em Sock'em Robots and wasteing our time with a pointless fight.

I agree wholeheartedly with that take on fighting. Ever since Rayzor hung them up, I don't get fired up about our enforcer, any enforcer(s) really, having a bout. There's something about it that reminds me of pro wrestling a little -- it's a staged side-show, "theater," if you will.

But when players like Paetsch, Lydman or Max (and even players like Goose and Mair) throw down in order to stick up for someone (even if it's themselves), it has a totally different vibe.

(And I will add here by way of edit that Boyes did light up Toni pretty good -- but, whatever, I'll take it for what it was. You can forget that about Toni -- dude is strong and can play a physical game -- remember when he destroyed one of the Canes with a hip check last year?)

I wouldn't call it a rant. Just pointing out that what the Sabres are doing is what I thought they should have been doing all along. Put your best players on the ice every night. When you dress Peters you are not putting your best team out there.

Hopefully Peters has seen his last shift. The goal is the playoffs and the Cup. It's time to get players ready that can help you obtain those goals.

So you're saying that he wouldn't even be worth it as an enforcer back with the Amerks?

I know Paille has had more time to develop and is older, but i think he might be a better pro then Drew Stafford. He is showing he can play any type of game, near the boards, he can hit, he will crash the net and the speed he shows is unreal. He shows signs of a young Maxim Afinogenov at times.

Everything you've said about Paille is in Drew's scouting report as well:

Stafford is a player with good size and strength who possesses excellent hockey sense. While he is listed at 200 lbs. he looks to be a bit on the thin side. He possesses very good hand-eye coordination along with a long reach. Stafford is a player who has the ability to really step up his game and plays very well at both ends of the ice. He’s an excellent skater with good hustle and acceleration. His play along the boards and in the corners is also quite good, with the ability to grind things out. He maneuvers very well around opposing defensemen, at times making some highlight reel moves. He’s willing to drive to the net and is able to create havoc around it. He can deliver as well as take the punishing checks and doesn’t shy away from the physical aspects of the game. He sees the ice and anticipates remarkably well. He possesses some nice hands and good passing ability. His awareness both offensively and defensively allows him to play in any situation. His outstanding work ethic hasn’t gone unnoticed either.

Paille's two more years of pro experience are going to make him look more polished right now, so I am not going to worry about which one is going to be the better pro. I think that once Drew has had a full season or two under his belt in the Sabres' system, and is fully adjusted to the differences between the pro & college games, he'll really start wowing us.

I've seen a lot of Paille and Stafford with the Amerks and the difference between the two is that Paille gets most of his production because of his energy and drive, while Stafford has AMAZING vision and feel for the offensive game. I mean in Rochester, he's got 35 (18 Goals, 17 Assists) points in 28 games. The Amerks leading scorer, Clarke MacArthur, has 55 points (17 goals and 38 assists) in 41 games, and is 5th in the league. That's a 1.34 ppg rate, while Stafford has a 1.25 while riding the Rochester/Buffalo shuttle. Paille's rate is much lower (0.72 06/07, 0.60 in 05/06).

I love Paille and think he fits in with the overall scheme perfectly, but I'm much more excited about the combination of Stafford and MacArthur. Paille fits in better with the Sabres now, but those two are the better overall prospects for the future. I'm looking forward to all three with the Sabres for a long time.

Archived