Official Gameday Thread!

bob_sauve28

6-3 final. Couldn't have had a finer game... Don't get me wrong, it wasn't perfect. There were nuggets of crap to be pulled out, but at this point, it doesn't matter. We won. Paille has made a case to be on the team permanently. Build off of it boys. Till friday!!

Bmwolf, I like this "sleeping giant" stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the type of game that does it.

The powerplay was great. Paille was outstanding, Roy was outstanding, Kotalik was solid, Miller was solid and Lydman had a great game. Paille should be up here permanently. Hecht was not missed much. The case for Paetch to stay was helped a lot by Kalinin.

Keep it up, boys!

Kalinin had a tough game.

And bob_sauve28 wins the award for understatement of the year.

I just looked over at the standings. In spite of the Sabres' struggles the last couple of weeks, they win a game and lo and behold they are in first place OVERALL in the league, tied with the Ducks (but Buffalo has a game in hand).

This was a great win on a lot of levels, but the fact that Buffalo is currently leading the NHL shows what a great start they had, and also that ALL the top teams have been struggling.

GOOOOAL!

Soupy? Vanek? Who cares - 4-3 good guys, and the blueliners are contributing on the scoresheet tonight...

Not a great angle on the icing replay, but Pommer's stick looked close enough to the red line to avoid icing.

Linesmen are having a Kalinin-quality game tonight.

Vanek set up that goal with a nice legal pick as Briere carried it into the zone. He cut close to the defender creating space for Briere. Then there was the perfect screen. So yeah, go ahead and credit Vanek there, he played a huge role in that one.

I know it's to be expected, but was anyone (with the NESN feed) pissed off at Jack Edward's cheap shot at Afinogenov after his goal? He said something along the lines of "and Afinogenov decides to show up, which he usually does in the third... if only he played like that all game". It's comments like those that make people hate Edwards. No matter how a game is going, he's always trying to bury the opposing team.

Even though I hate him, Edwards did deliver the line of the night:

"Phil Kessel has a pair tonight."

That one had me laughing for a few minutes.

This was a great win on a lot of levels, but the fact that Buffalo is currently leading the NHL shows what a great start they had, and also that ALL the top teams have been struggling.

Nashville and Detroit are both 7-3 in their last 10, and Nashville was ahead of us in the standings before tonight's game.

I know I have come across harshly against the idea of scoreboard watching for the President's Trophy, but I really feel like focusing on fixing our game is the most important thing right now.

When this team gets their collective crap together and starts stringing together a bunch of games where the effort is there, the PP is clicking and the PK is shutting the opponents down, then the standings and the division, conference and league titles will take care of themselves.

Now that's more like it---the boys were really out there skating and working tonite and magically, they got a PP goal, had some other good chances on the PP, and had innumerable odd-man rushes...

Hopefully this will be a game they can use to see what they need to do to win games...

Hey, that #13 guy was a nice pick-up. Who did we deal for him?

This is the 1st game that was even remotely similar to the 1st ten in tempo and style. How long has it been since you saw loose puck after loose puck with a Sabre standing there. They could have had 15 goals tonight on the chances they had.

He whiffed on passes 3 times tonight. One cost us a goal. Can he try a different stick or something. Jeezus!

He was trained by Zhitnik.

Hey, that #13 guy was a nice pick-up. Who did we deal for him?

This is the 1st game that was even remotely similar to the 1st ten in tempo and style. How long has it been since you saw loose puck after loose puck with a Sabre standing there. They could have had 15 goals tonight on the chances they had.

C'mon, SDS, even game No. 11 was faster than tonight.

The chances were there tonight, but they were there Monday afternoon, too, and no burying that day, either.

But I do think tonight will give the Sabs the psychological lift they need.

The chances were there tonight, but they were there Monday afternoon, too, and no burying that day, either.

But I do think tonight will give the Sabs the psychological lift they need.

these chances were different... these were coming in relentless waves. The same relentless waves that produced all those 3rd period comebacks earlier in the year. They skated the Bruins off the ice in the last period.

these chances were different... these were coming in relentless waves. The same relentless waves that produced all those 3rd period comebacks earlier in the year. They skated the Bruins off the ice in the last period.

Well, I'll give you this: tonight was one of the few times this year I was lucky enough to get to the Arena, and my seats (given to me) weren't ideal; four rows up from the ice, in the corner in the end where the Sabs shoot once. I didn't see too much dazzle there in the second, but I'll certainly admit that I couldn't see the first and third very well.

Kids, read and learn: Ice-level seats only work at the ends of the rink. Otherwise, you waste your money and lose arguments to SDS.

He whiffed on passes 3 times tonight. One cost us a goal. Can he try a different stick or something. Jeezus!

Changing sticks won't help his piss poor decision making though.

Here's a guy I'd like to see packaged with a prospect, and moved for two no.4-6 d-men, with some grit.

That giveaway on the first goal was something I'd expect at a pee-wee game. Then he takes a lame delay of game penalty, and suddenly it's 2-2.

Kalinin should've been the first star for The Bruins tonight :death:

-That's what I expect from the Sabres. Putting away an inferior team in the 3rd period. Excellent!!

-Paille made a strong case for Darcy doing whatever he has to, in order to keep him up here and not playing in Rochester. 2 or 3 really good scoring chances and a couple of solid checks. I often look for this part in his game as I believe he was named the best body checker in the OHL one year. Haven't seen it much to this point in his brief Sabres career.

-Roy showed that size has nothing to do with delivering solid body checks. In one shift he had two nice hits. It's all about attitude.

-I'm really starting to worry about Teppo. He seems to be struggling game after game. The good news is that Campbell seems to be playing better the last couple of games. Lydman was solid last night as well. Tallinder needs to return and stay healthy the rest of the year.

-Peters 38 seconds of ice time. The less the better. I didn't even notice his one shift last night. I was hoping to see 00:00 next to his name. :)

Vancouver is playing well the last couple of road games, but has to play at Ottawa tonight and then face the sabres tomorrow. The Sabres need to be ready to go and the crowd will be rocking on a Friday night.

GO SABRES!!!! :beer: :beer:

Archived