Jaroslav Spacek a Sabre

PTS

I didn't see the whole season, but from what I can tell - Campbell was the one who grew up in the playoffs. I suspect he is the guy who will step up this season on defense.

exactly...

watching his game from the beginning of last season till his "penalty" in game 7 was like watching a texbook case of "coming of age". Obviously the Umberger hit was a catalyst, but i think when its all said and done, campbell's career will be defined pre-umberger and post-umberger. He obioulsy has to keep it working, and learn to keep his play at that high level, but he's there now... he just has to keep on truckin.

Unfortunately we always seem to be waiting for that year.

Actually, he wasn't that bad in '03-'04. 77 games played, 34 points, even +/-. 13 points on the power play. Those were better numbers than McKee. The injuries probably affected his progress more than anything else this season.

I don't think we're going to bring in a forward to replace Grier. Even after losing him, we still have a glut there:

Briere-Jochen-JP

Connolly-Max-Kotalik

Drury-Roy-Vanek

Gaustad-Mair-Pominville

extra: Novotny, Peters, Stafford, others?

Now, if the rumor of Biron for Draper is true, fine. But I continue to doubt that Detroit is going to give the keys to its cup run next year to Marty. I also continue to doubt that anyone is going to give us a top 4 defenseman or top 9 forward (ie top 4 or 9 on our team) for Marty.

I think the most likely scenario is that we stand pat at forward, trade Marty for draft picks and/or prospects, trade for or sign a backup goalie in the $800K salary range, and use the cash we save on Marty towards giving our RFAs raises and locking up the core (Briere, Tallinder, Connolly, etc.).

I'm happy with this scenario and thrilled if we lock up the core before training camp.

Go Sabres.

Kalinin's numbers really aren't that bad. In 55 games he had 18 points and was a +14. His numbers last season are better than McKee's '03-'04 numbers. If he's healthy and in the right state of mind, he could have a break-out year.

McKee is not a numbers player, I am getting sick of all the numbers for defencemen...........I would take Mike Ramsey and day over Phil Housley and yet if you look at the numbers.......... B-)

I don't think we're going to bring in a forward to replace Grier. Even after losing him, we still have a glut there:

Briere-Jochen-JP

Connolly-Max-Kotalik

Drury-Roy-Vanek

Gaustad-Mair-Pominville

extra: Novotny, Peters, Stafford, others?

One of the main reasons the Sabres were successful last season was their ability to throw a shut-down top line (Drury-Grier-Hecht) against the the oppositions best offensive players. Your lines here are missing a line like this and it will be crucial to find a defensive forward still. Yes we have depth, but we're lacking a certain role player.

The signing of Spacek is awesome. I still have my concerns over the physicality of the defense as a whole (like some others), but it's a solid signing regardless. I really like the fact that he ranked 10th in the NHL in blocked shots. We lost the #1 guy in the NHL in this category, but picked up a suitable replacement.

McKee is not a numbers player, I am getting sick of all the numbers for defencemen...........I would take Mike Ramsey and day over Phil Housley and yet if you look at the numbers.......... B-)

Doc -- that's a fair point, especially when it comes to a blood-and-guts player like McKee. We all hated to lose him. However, I am still pretty psyched about Spacek. I also think one number is pretty useful when discussing defensemen: ice time. McKee averaged 18 minutes last year; Spacek averaged 24 (26 in the playoffs). That means Spacek played 33% more than McKee -- and for a team that made it all the way to game 7 of the finals.

Does that mean Spacek is a better player than McKee? Not necessarily. But him playing that much for a tough, physical, shotblocking team like the Oilers makes me pretty comfortable that he's going to be a very solid addition here.

Go Sabres.

Well done, Darce. I'm not up to speed on Spacek yet, but at first glance it makes sense and has to be considered a significant investment for the team given the three year contract.

We got down 2-0 early, but we've now tied things up with a pair of quick goals. It looks like The Offseason is unnerved a bit -- what's this? -- The Offseason is taking a timeout! Basketball style.

I love that PTS scooped everyone else, and I think he's still in Germany? Does he have a deep throat source over there too? Hmmmm...

PTS source is said to have been wearing a blue and gold overcoat.

I just read that Spacek played almost 50 minutes in a playoff game this year, just shy of Pronger. This guy's a horse.

Now we just have to learn how to say his name. I believe it's SPA-check. After mangling Dom's name for years, let's get this one right!

I guess the question now is, do you have a young guy like Paetsch hanging around as a #7 dman not getting much PT or do you leave Paetsch in Rochester and find someone for 500-600k who has some NHL experience but is best served in a role of playing 30-40 games filling in for guys who are injured.

I certainly will admit that I feel a little better with getting Spacek and so far have proven me wrong on their willingness to A.) sign UFA's (older ones at that), B.) to a decent length contract (but still within what they are willing to go for) and C.) opening the purse string a little bit (3 years/$10 mil).

I also feel better that they are sending a more positive message about the team especially to the players with signing someone like him after losing McKee and Grier (who mentioned that he thought the team was showing some instability about their future plans).

And, if we can keep doing npositive things like keeping the team together for with decent length contracts or making positive moves, I'll eat crow for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (crow wings for dessert). That and pull my missile silo key out of the key hole.

I certainly will admit that I feel a little better with getting Spacek and so far have proven me wrong on their willingness to A.) sign UFA's (older ones at that), B.) to a decent length contract (but still within what they are willing to go for) and C.) opening the purse string a little bit (3 years/$10 mil).

I also feel better that they are sending a more positive message about the team especially to the players with signing someone like him after losing McKee and Grier (who mentioned that he thought the team was showing some instability about their future plans).

And, if we can keep doing npositive things like keeping the team together for with decent length contracts or making positive moves, I'll eat crow for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (crow wings for dessert). That and pull my missile silo key out of the key hole.

Well said. One question: what's the source for the 3 yrs/ $10 million?

3 years 10 million for Spacek. Not a bad deal, but Darcy just set the bar for Tallinder and Lydman if he wants to get them signed to multiyear contracts. I would have to believe they would be looking for similiar deals, but maybe just under 3 mil instead of just over 3 mil.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=497278

I guess the question now is, do you have a young guy like Paetsch hanging around as a #7 dman not getting much PT or do you leave Paetsch in Rochester and find someone for 500-600k who has some NHL experience but is best served in a role of playing 30-40 games filling in for guys who are injured.

I think the Sabres should look at playing Teppo 3 out of 4 games and letting him rest 1 out of 4. Janik and Paetsch are the future and if they play every now & then they'll be ready should you need them down the road, plus it will keep Teppo fresher at his age.

I think the Sabres should look at playing Teppo 3 out of 4 games and letting him rest 1 out of 4. Janik and Paetsch are the future and if they play every now & then they'll be ready should you need them down the road, plus it will keep Teppo fresher at his age.

I'm not sure how much Janik can be "the future" when he is currently a man without a team. ;)

Now we just have to learn how to say his name. I believe it's SPA-check. After mangling Dom's name for years, let's get this one right!

Don't worry he'll correct us sometime during the season like Lydman did if they say it wrong

Things are definitly looking up, this was definitly a move that was not expected. Still not going to change my mind on the position the team is in and Darcy, but it definitly is starting to brighten things up.

I will post it right here, I will end my doom and Gloom (as most of you have refered to it as) and join all of you on the light side (reverse Darth Vader Star Wars move) if the following things happen:

1. Another physical defencemen comes in to improve the Defence (Sapacek helps the D offensivly and speed wise, but we still need a physical player to raise the Defence above last year)

2. Another physical veteran is brought in to replace Grier (and not Peca, him signing will return me to doom and gloom just because I never really liked him)

3. Biron is moved before training camp and Buffalo gets something adequate in return for him (a couple picks, prospects or the physical defencemen, Griers replacement, or a proven goal scorer)

4. A decent backup gets signed to play as Millers back up. Someone like a Lalime (if still available) or even Legace. But I would take someone who is a veteran that Miller can also learn from too (just no Belfour unless we are talking cheap, like under 1 million a year)

And most important

5. All the Core RFA's (Briere, Tallinder, Lydman, Miller, etc.) get signed to long term deals to keep them together for a while.

If this happens, I will be very happy and can see the Sabres being just as good to better next year. And I may even give Darcy a break if he can do it all on his Budget (cause if he doesn't, he really isn't following his plan)

Archived