Jaroslav Spacek a Sabre

PTS

All kidding aside, he played in 76 games last year, had 43 pts and averaged just under 24 minutes of ice time (25 after the olympic break and 26 in the playoffs for the Oilers). Edmonton traded for him at the deadline from Chicago.

Age 32, 5'11", 204 lbs.

If this is true, he sounds like a very solid pickup.

Go Sabres.

Farm team my butt. We don't quit. That means management too.

Although before 10 minutes ago I couldn't have told you a thing about Spacek, I'm confident based on what I've read about him that he's a good player who had multiple options in free agency. I'm also confident that he came to Buffalo because (i) we made him a good offer, (ii) he knows he's got a shot at the cup here and (iii) this franchise is attractive to free agents.

Go Sabres.

Farm team my butt. We don't quit. That means management too.

Although before 10 minutes ago I couldn't have told you a thing about Spacek, I'm confident based on what I've read about him that he's a good player who had multiple options in free agency. I'm also confident that he came to Buffalo because (i) we made him a good offer, (ii) he knows he's got a shot at the cup here and (iii) this franchise is attractive to free agents.

Go Sabres.

I'm very happy the Sabres signed Spacek(to a 3 yr contract no less), but I am still concerned that the Sabres have their blueline filled out and there is not a physical presence among the top 6. Kalinin is the best candidate to fill the role, but he has been inconsistent in that area in past years.

Tallinder-Lydman

Spacek-Kalinin

Campbell-Teppo

Paetsch or Janik as #7(PLEASE NO JILLSON)

Certainly looks better than it did a few days ago.

GO SABRES!!!

I'm very happy the Sabres signed Spacek(to a 3 yr contract no less), but I am still concerned that the Sabres have their blueline filled out and there is not a physical presence among the top 6. Kalinin is the best candidate to fill the role, but he has been inconsistent in that area in past years.

Tallinder-Lydman

Spacek-Kalinin

Campbell-Teppo

GO SABRES!!!

I'd like to see a policeman back there too, but I'll take what we have. Edmonton was a pretty physical team and also one that blocked a lot of shots -- I have to assume Spacek will pull his weight in those areas.

Anyway, since we're predicting defense pairings, here are mine:

Tallinder-Spacek

Lydman-Campbell

Teppo-Kalinin

Go Sabres.

Tallinder-Lydman

Spacek-Kalinin

Campbell-Teppo

GO SABRES!!!

Kalinin's numbers really aren't that bad. In 55 games he had 18 points and was a +14. His numbers last season are better than McKee's '03-'04 numbers. If he's healthy and in the right state of mind, he could have a break-out year.

Kalinin's numbers really aren't that bad. In 55 games he had 18 points and was a +14. His numbers last season are better than McKee's '03-'04 numbers. If he's healthy and in the right state of mind, he could have a break-out year.

Unfortunately we always seem to be waiting for that year.

Great pickup. Between spacek and the resigning of teppo, the defense, at least ability wise, has not taken a step back at all. Who knows about the leadership ability of mckee or the loss of that, but good talent leads to good leadership. teppo, lydman, tallinder, and campbell can certainly fill that roll.

Also, with kalinin playing much better towards the end of the season, and with miller finally coming of age as a superstar, i expect the defense to take it to a better level. They need to fill out grier's hole (peca, anyone?) as a defensive forward, but other than that, i'd take this roster to the bank.

Great pickup. Between spacek and the resigning of teppo, the defense, at least ability wise, has not taken a step back at all. Who knows about the leadership ability of mckee or the loss of that, but good talent leads to good leadership. teppo, lydman, tallinder, and campbell can certainly fill that roll.

Also, with kalinin playing much better towards the end of the season, and with miller finally coming of age as a superstar, i expect the defense to take it to a better level. They need to fill out grier's hole (peca, anyone?) as a defensive forward, but other than that, i'd take this roster to the bank.

I didn't see the whole season, but from what I can tell - Campbell was the one who grew up in the playoffs. I suspect he is the guy who will step up this season on defense.

I still see Kalinin as a bit of a question mark. I wouldn't be uncomfortable going forward with this roster though. However, I would like to see Grier replaced, and someone brought in to be our #7 defenseman. I think Paetsch can fill the role, but as I think others have already mentioned, it is much better for his development to be playing in Rochester than sitting in the press box in Buffalo.

Spacek in and McKee out sacrifices some physicality, but overall makes the defense faster - and

this is a perfect system for Spacek who has a good shot and can join the rush and has a good up ice pass.

I love this move.

If everyone is re-signed , it'll be one fast defense.

Archived