Auston Mathews anyone?

Turbo44

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why is Matthews nominated for the Selke?

Serious question, not trying to ***** on him.

He seems positionally sound and he’s obviously got the size and skill to match up well. But I’ve never really watched him and said *****, there’s Matthews breaking up another rush, blocking another shot, or taking away another puck.

But I see him 5 or 10 times a year and can’t say I’ve ever focused on him on that side of the puck.

Was there some serious analytics that he dropped this year?

I dunno about fancy schmancy, but he was 2nd overall in takeaways this year 

Crosby was 8th

”I’m literally in love with buffalo” Alex Tuch was…4th. Overall! 

On 5/8/2024 at 6:25 PM, Buffalonill said:

No .. the dude is selfish and only cares about his goal stats.

And poof he disappears in the playoffs

Auston Matthews has 23 goals, 25 assists and a plus-minus of +2 in 55 games in the playoffs in his career.

3 hours ago, Night Train said:

Let's propose the standard Sabrespace trade terms. 

Matthews for Krebs, Rosen and rights to  a Russian player currently missing in wartime. 

We usually throw in a protected first rounder  too. 

40 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Tage, Cozens, 11th pick and two good prospects 

Too much ? 

You're a Leafs fan. You like that return?

Here's some junk in exchange for a 69 goal scorer in his prime.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Tage, Cozens, 11th pick and two good prospects 

Too much ? 

Too much, because you have to take dollars/cap into consideration.

In Thompson you get a guy that over the last 2 years scores goals at a 41 goal pace per 82.  He is signed long term for $7.1m per year

In Matthews you get a guy who over the last 2 years scores 57 goals per 82. He is signed long term for $13.2m per year (close to double tage)

Matthews is clearly the better/more productive player, there isn't much doubt to that.  But in a cap league where when you start to compete you are close to that cap, I'm not sure I'd even want that trade with even a little beyond just Tage when you consider the money, and what that extra $6+ million can do for you when you get to that point. 

I personally think Tage was playing injured this year and next year I think he is back to being a 50 goal scorer, or very close to it.  I also think Matthews is getting 60 or more again.

I CERTAINLY would not want to make that trade and throw in Cozens. And the 11th pick this year. And 2 additional good prospects. Not even close. (Also keep in mind Matthews does not elevate his play in the playoffs, he is actually LESS productive in the playoffs than the regular season, and there is 8 years of sample size showing that)

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

• nfreeman changed the title to Austin Mathews anyone?
32 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Your point?

Would you as a Leafs fan be happy with that haul?

My point is trying to be funny, and nothing more.

I will shut the door on the way out.

7 hours ago, Night Train said:

Matthews for Krebs, Rosen and rights to  a Russian player currently missing in wartime. 

Why not toss in that guy we drafted in 1981?

As Czechoslovakia was a Communist country at the time of Dudáček's drafting, bringing him to North America was a difficult proposition for the Sabres organization. Dudáček's father was also a high-ranking Communist party member.

While other teams helped Czechoslovak players sneak out of their homeland to come to the NHL, Sabres general manager Scotty Bowman attempted to convince Czechoslovak officials to legally allow Dudáček to come to Buffalo. All efforts were declined by the Czechoslovak sports authorities, though, claiming Dudáček was "too young" to leave the country.[1][2]

7 hours ago, Night Train said:

That’s right up there with the Ruutu, Snuggerud, and a 1st for Gretzky back in the day.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Why not toss in that guy we drafted in 1981?

As Czechoslovakia was a Communist country at the time of Dudáček's drafting, bringing him to North America was a difficult proposition for the Sabres organization. Dudáček's father was also a high-ranking Communist party member.

While other teams helped Czechoslovak players sneak out of their homeland to come to the NHL, Sabres general manager Scotty Bowman attempted to convince Czechoslovak officials to legally allow Dudáček to come to Buffalo. All efforts were declined by the Czechoslovak sports authorities, though, claiming Dudáček was "too young" to leave the country.[1][2]

And by the time they let me go, I was good for little else but annoying Sabres fans with my interminable message board posting and tiresome complaints about the lack of good pilsner on Vancouver Island.

• Haha (+1) 1

• nfreeman changed the title to Auston Mathews anyone?