2024 NHL Playoffs - ROUND TWO

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

The winner of this one has a good chance to win game #1 as the Stars have been sitting awhile, resting but not having that intensity level at 10.

I do like their chances though, they are a well balanced team.

Could happen. The age old rest vs rust. I agree it's the best chance to get one for either of tonight's clubs. 

I just get the sense that big D is going to toy with either.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Dallas vs Florida should be a nice final 😛

The NHL has never had a truly southern NHL finals. (Dallas Vs Tampa in 2020 didn’t count). That would be interesting 

11 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Vancouver season ends tonight, they can’t even get any shots. It’s only a matter of time before Edmonton puts in a second and third goal.

I don’t think Edmonton can beat Dallas either. 

Dallas gonna have Skinner for dinner.

14 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

Dallas gonna have Skinner for dinner.

As someone that has seen Vancouver and Edmonton a lot, Skinner is so overrated. And Tyler Myers hasn’t been good since his rookie season. Patterson has been garbage for the Canucks in the playoffs, and this playoffs is going to be sitting in his head all offseason. He was called out and can’t answer the call. Vancouver was lucky to get by Nashville, They definitely work hard for Tochett but you can only go so far with mediocre offense.

• Like (+1) 1

Watching who the Oilers had on the ice late (aside from McDavid and Draisatl):  Warren Foegele killing seconds in the o-zone with a great forecheck. Giant R shot D man Vincent Desharnais on for the last 90 seconds protecting the lead. Both UFA’s. 

I'll watch the conference finals, and there have been some good games this year, but the playoffs haven't been as exciting as I thought. When they started I was thinking...I'm going to LOVE this, there were so many good matchups. And there were/are, just I haven't gotten into the playoffs as deeply as I though.

And as far as Vancouver goes, Pettersson was a letdown. I really thought going into this year he was going to take another step and clearly become a top-10 player in the year, but he faded big time down the stretch and, as others have said, didn't help much in the playoffs.

Something happened to him in mid February..an injury? Hit 'the wall'. I'm not sure but...

Pettersson:

-through Feb 15:   28 goals, 44 assists in 55 games (42g, 66a, 108 point pace/82)

-Since Feb 16 (including playoffs): 7 goals, 16 assists in 40 games (14g, 33a, 47 point pace/82)

That is a major, MAJOR drop in production.

27 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'll watch the conference finals, and there have been some good games this year, but the playoffs haven't been as exciting as I thought. When they started I was thinking...I'm going to LOVE this, there were so many good matchups. And there were/are, just I haven't gotten into the playoffs as deeply as I though.

And as far as Vancouver goes, Pettersson was a letdown. I really thought going into this year he was going to take another step and clearly become a top-10 player in the year, but he faded big time down the stretch and, as others have said, didn't help much in the playoffs.

Something happened to him in mid February..an injury? Hit 'the wall'. I'm not sure but...

Pettersson:

-through Feb 15:   28 goals, 44 assists in 55 games (42g, 66a, 108 point pace/82)

-Since Feb 16 (including playoffs): 7 goals, 16 assists in 40 games (14g, 33a, 47 point pace/82)

That is a major, MAJOR drop in production.

He signed his new contract on March 2nd. That might have something to do with it.

Edited by SabreFinn
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

After the first period I thought neither of these teams could beat any of the remaining other teams and probably couldn't beat Boston, Colorado or Carolina (or Vegas) either. I will be totally shocked if Dallas doesn't blow past Edmonton with relative ease. 

I’m not sure. Dallas is my pick and I don’t see a reason to change it. But the Oilers defensive play and overall depth is underrated in my view. If Dallas had McDavid and Draisatl instead of Rintz and Robertson (two great players, but not in the “best in the world” conversation), I would guess that we would see less of the Dallas 4th line as they would lean on McDavid and Draisatl just as the Oilers do. Goal is another thing. 

2 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

He signed his new contract on March 2nd. That might have something to do with it.

William Nylander Signs 8 year, $92m extension Jan 8.

-Before Extension:  37gp, 21g, 33a (47 goal, 73 assist, 120 point pace/82)

-After signing: 49gp, 22g, 25a (37 goal, 41assist, 78 point pace/82)

Pettersson Signs 8 year, $92.8m extension.

-Before Extension: 62gp, 29g, 42a (29 goal, 56 assist, 85 point pace/82)

-After signing:  33gp, 6g, 14a (15 goal, 35 assist, 50 point pace/82)

There could be other factors, but it does kinda look at least a little like 'getting their money' had an impact on their play.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

After the first period I thought neither of these teams could beat any of the remaining other teams and probably couldn't beat Boston, Colorado or Carolina (or Vegas) either. I will be totally shocked if Dallas doesn't blow past Edmonton with relative ease. 

They're on par with Boston.

The others I agree with.

1 minute ago, stinky finger said:

They're on par with Boston.

The others I agree with.

Possibly. The hockey in the Florida-Boston series was harder and more intense than what I saw in most of the Vancouver-Edmonton series though. Vegas-Dallas was probably some of the hardest hockey played so far. If Dallas wins the cup it's quite possible that Vegas was actually the second best even if they did go out round 1. 

35 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Possibly. The hockey in the Florida-Boston series was harder and more intense than what I saw in most of the Vancouver-Edmonton series though. Vegas-Dallas was probably some of the hardest hockey played so far. If Dallas wins the cup it's quite possible that Vegas was actually the second best even if they did go out round 1. 

Swayman's performance was so good that it typically carries a team to a series victory. The fact that it didn't, speaks volumes. It tells me the rest of the team is less than worthy of cup consideration.

1 hour ago, stinky finger said:

Swayman's performance was so good that it typically carries a team to a series victory. The fact that it didn't, speaks volumes. It tells me the rest of the team is less than worthy of cup consideration.

I thought the difference for Boston was Pastrnak.  Guy is elite. Over the last 7 seasons, 5th in the league in goals, 6th in points, he shoots close to 15%, and over that time scores at almost a 50 goal per 82 pace with last year over 60 goals.

He was a relative non-factor in the playoffs this year.

Before this year he was over a point per game player in the playoffs, and had 35 goals in 77 career playoff games (over a 37 goal pace). This year, 4 goals and 8 points in 13  games (25 goal, 50 point pace). Not AWFUL, but for sure a lot less than they needed. Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but when you watched him he seemed a non-factor, even against the leafs. I never got a sense he was dangerous, on the verge of anything big.

I, too, wonder if he was injured. The non-productive playoffs came on the heels of a regular season where he had no goals in his last 5 games, and only 3 in his last 12 games in the regular season.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I thought the difference for Boston was Pastrnak.  Guy is elite. Over the last 7 seasons, 5th in the league in goals, 6th in points, he shoots close to 15%, and over that time scores at almost a 50 goal per 82 pace with last year over 60 goals.

Before this year he was over a point per game player in the playoffs, and had 35 goals in 77 career playoff games (over a 37 goal pace). This year, 4 goals and 8 points in 13  games (25 goal, 50 point pace). Not AWFUL, but for sure a lot less than they needed. Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but when you watched him he seemed a non-factor, even against the leafs. I never got a sense he was dangerous, on the verge of anything big.

I, too, wonder if he was injured. The non-productive playoffs came on the heels of a regular season where he had no goals in his last 5 games, and only 3 in his last 12 games in the regular season.

He kept his season going by joining Czechia at the World Championships, I doubt he is banged up real badly.

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Basically. I'd say their problem is not enough goal scoring talent. Too easy for Florida to focus on shutting down one guy. Marchand, even without the injury, just isn't that offensive threat any more. They need a top center and a replacement for DeBrusk if they let him walk at minimum. 

• Agree 1