Happy Annual Leafs Elimination Day

3 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

And a runner up is Jack Eichel smug face elimination day!

Home Alone Nhl GIF by Hockey Players Club

Eh, I’m certainly not sad but it doesn’t have much baring since he’s already won a Cup. 

Perhaps we’ll get lucky and Tavares will get bought out and sign a cheap deal here to be our 3C for a year or two and want vengeance on his hometown team. 🙂

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Eh, I’m certainly not sad but it doesn’t have much baring since he’s already won a Cup. 

Perhaps we’ll get lucky and Tavares will get bought out and sign a cheap deal here to be our 3C for a year or two and want vengeance on his hometown team. 🙂

Yeah but at least now it's not multiple cups. That's wishful thinking considering Tavares would have been the leading scorer on our team but I agree perhaps we'll get lucky for once.

22 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Remember those asshats in Jersey who cheered America's comeuppance?

That's you if you cheered the Leafs' demise.

I never understood why fans of one team should take joy in another teams failure, especially Sabre fans in recent / current years.

Something, something ... glass houses ... something, something ... throwing stones ... 

I take no joy in the dastardly Flyers missing the playoff this season.  Why should I ?

I cheer for the Sabres to win not for the others to lose.  Who cares about the others ?

Also, has the Jersey cheering not been debunked ?  I don't see anyone doing that in America.  I do understand Palestinians celebrating in East Jerusalem and Gaza and The West Bank and in other places.  They would do the same today.  I don't think if 911 happend today that the masses that are domonstrating now in the States would cheer it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

36 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Yeah but at least now it's not multiple cups. That's wishful thinking considering Tavares would have been the leading scorer on our team but I agree perhaps we'll get lucky for once.

Sadly just found out Tavares can't get bought out because he'd be a 10.5mil dead cap 

I have no love for the Leafs.  So I'm totally fine with Matthews being ousted.  Jack won his cup last year, it's nice to see different teams advancing.  Go Vancouver.

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

too old too slow   isnt he like 37 now? 

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Brutal but the Leafs owner makes a boatload of money, They could but most likely wont. 

It’s not that the ownership group could not afford to buy him out but rather that there would be no point. There are virtually no cap savings. 

6 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

too old too slow   isnt he like 37 now? 

He is 33. He had 65 points in 80 games. 

On 5/5/2024 at 10:03 AM, PASabreFan said:

Remember those asshats in Jersey who cheered America's comeuppance?

That's you if you cheered the Leafs' demise.

spoken by someone who doesnt live in the GTA.   Yes, I cheered the Leafs demise, I have every year of my life and Im 54-0 at this point and love it   #1967Forever!  

Are you saying Bills fans should never have taken joy in seeing the Patriots lose, even while the Bills were in their drought? 

absolutely nothing wrong with being joyful over another teams demise.

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

It’s not that the ownership group could not afford to buy him out but rather that there would be no point. There are virtually no cap savings. 

He is 33. He had 65 points in 80 games. 

will be 34 and no the decline has started to set in.  

I would get 50 points with Nylander and Bertuzzi as my wingers

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

I find no joy in this,… but I get it.

If the teams doing our dirty work are Dallas and Boston, it defeats the purpose 

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I never understood why fans of one team should take joy in another teams failure, especially Sabre fans in recent / current years.

Something, something ... glass houses ... something, something ... throwing stones ... 

I take no joy in the dastardly Flyers missing the playoff this season.  Why should I ?

I cheer for the Sabres to win not for the others to lose.  Who cares about the others ?

Also, has the Jersey cheering not been debunked ?  I don't see anyone doing that in America.  I do understand Palestinians celebrating in East Jerusalem and Gaza and The West Bank and in other places.  They would do the same today.  I don't think if 911 happend today that the masses that are domonstrating now in the States would cheer it.

With you.

my lone exception/guilty pleasure is the Jets, but that’s a home town team dynamic 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

If the teams doing our dirty work are Dallas and Boston, it defeats the purpose 

Even if they weren't. I just want the Sabres to not suck. Everything else is just sour grape BS.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Even if they weren't. I just want the Sabres to not suck. Everything else is just sour grape BS.

It’s a powerful potion because there’s, unfortunately, a lot of logic in it on its face: if you are merely rooting against a team to NOT win a title, it’s more less a Monty Hall switcharoo where your long odds are flipped: very likely you “get what you want” every year 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Alaska John said:

OK, the Leafs suck, love watching them lose, yada yada yada.  I feel the same way.  But at least they make the playoffs.  Until we do too, this is all a little embarrassing.  

Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I think it has a lot to do with how fanbases treat each other.  All you need is ONE guy (and we all know there is usually more than one guy) to act like a jerk for no reason, to start trolling on another fanbase or city (Why would he sign there, no-one wants to LIVE in a dump like Buffalo!).  That stuff causes a few people from the target city/team to shoot back at the original...then more come to their defense...it escalates....and presto!  You end up WANTING the original jerk's team (and those who joined in his side of the trolling) to be miserable and never win.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm not passionate about the Leafs losing, but given how their fans like to come into Buffalo and take over with a degree of arrogance, I can't lie and say I don't enjoy it a little bit.  Of course, the Leafs losing means that Boston is advancing, and it's hard to take a lot of pleasure in that....I'd like to see Boston go out this round.  I'm also not a fan of the Dallas sports scene, but I still was happy to see them oust Vegas.  Vegas has had a great run the last few years, so I enjoy seeing new/different teams in the mix.

If you're a Sabres fan and don't take enjoyment out of seeing the Leafs lose, I'm telling you... you're doing it wrong!!! 

When the self-proclaimed "centre of the hockey universe" crashes and burns, it's pure entertainment. 

So if you're sitting up there on your moral high ground, try sinking down a level or two... It's great.

Would I rather see the Sabres in the playoffs- sure... but Toronto losing is all the sloppy seconds we've got until next season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

And another thing... There's no shortage of players around the league that hate Toronto as much as some of us do. It's a real thing... Join the team!

https://torontosun.com/2014/07/01/josh-gorges-trade-the-ultimate-insult-to-maple-leafs

PS- this Toronto sportswriter called Buffalo the "armpit" of America. As someone who lives about halfway between the two I can confirm the body odour is not coming from the Queen City, but rather from the other side.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

And another thing... There's no shortage of players around the league that hate Toronto as much as some of us do. It's a real thing... Join the team!

https://torontosun.com/2014/07/01/josh-gorges-trade-the-ultimate-insult-to-maple-leafs

PS- this Toronto sportswriter called Buffalo the "armpit" of America. As someone who lives about halfway between the two I can confirm the body odour is not coming from the Queen City, but rather from the other side.

We live in northern Niagara county, right near Lake Ontario. You can see downtown Toronto clearly across the lake, and even coming down the hill Toward Lewiston it is clearly visible. Crystal clear high def hockey night in canada broadcasts with an antenna, no problem getting 590 sports talk out of Toronto...etc.

Now I'm not saying Toronto is a worse city than Buffalo..it is many times Bigger, tons of money, etc. But we took a trip to Toronto last weekend, and wow, my wife said she had enough and doesn't want to go back for a long time. Getting around is a nightmare.  Downtown is a disaster, on the weekend (not weekday rush hour) we sat and sat and inched up on Lakeshore Blvd just trying to get anywhere near downtown. A bit farther outside the city...you can deal with some traffic on 407 if you want to pay something like $40+ in tolls for a trip across the city.  The 401?  Mid day (not rush hour), no accidents, yet it was stop and go for MILES, and when you were going it was 20mph (worse than any memories I had of driving on the Cross Bronx expressway).  And go to their 'fast' growing areas like Markham and Vaughan (we spent most of our time near in Vaughan or downtown) and you get terrible surface road traffic, and its just strip plaza after strip plaza..then a few big gray warehouses to break up the strip plazas, and then a lot of parking lots and 'floor tile' warehouse/showrooms.

Again, I'm not trying to bash Toronto, but my wife grew up in NY city and still visits friends/relatives there, and this trip to Toronto (and the outer parts of the city)...lets just say she doesn't have a high regard to her former home in NY city anymore, but what we saw of 'day to day' living in the GTA I think is even a bit lower.

• Like (+1) 1