Lindy Ruff, reintroductory press conference 1pm, 4/23/2024

LGR4GM

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Which players said the bold?

I recall a lot of players saying different versions of “we need to be more accountable”.

I could be wrong, but I don’t recall a single player blaming others for not holding him accountable.

Most of them indicating it was a trope given to them by Adams. Embarrassingly transparent and alarming.  Like did they expect to get a spanking or something.  Yikes. 

56 minutes ago, inkman said:

I banged this drum all season. No one wanted to hear it. The players are the problem. Lindy needs to weed out the passengers.  Skinner being atop that list but don’t be surprised if another big name or two that people really like are also a problem. 

If the players are the problem we wouldn't keep seeing ex-Sabres doing well when they leave and go elsewhere. 

Skip Skinner cause I agree about him and do think he needs to be gone. I don't see anybody else on this roster who is a problem. Some of them are soft and it's hard to say if they will always be soft or can be coached into playing harder and bigger and some of them are developed poorly, but with good coaching I think they can be fixed. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Some of them are soft and it's hard to say if they will always be soft or can be coached into playing harder and bigger and some of them are developed poorly, but with good coaching I think they can be fixed. 

Can Owen Power be converted from the softest defenseman in the league? If so, Lindy deserves to be made King of the World. 

5 hours ago, PotentPowerPlay21 said:

Can Owen Power be converted from the softest defenseman in the league? If so, Lindy deserves to be made King of the World. 

I really tried to temper expectations on what Power was but almost universally around here it was "big guy hit stuff" and as I will repeat until this site goes dark, size does not equal grit. 

39 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I really tried to temper expectations on what Power was but almost universally around here it was "big guy hit stuff" and as I will repeat until this site goes dark, size does not equal grit. 

It’s been like this since the beginning of man. The only place I see Power disparaged is Buffalo. Athletic just had another article were anonymous general managers are still divided in their belief that Power will end up better then Dahlin.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

It’s been like this since the beginning of man. The only place I see Power disparaged is Buffalo. Athletic just had another article were anonymous general managers are still divided in their belief that Power will end up better then Dahlin.

Thor big. Can not carry own carcass to cave? Thor that is dino *****.

Only one name had been invented...

19 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

OMG! They gave a microphone to the reporters so ppl could hear the questions! A christmas miracle!

Thus the left channel only. They gave the right to the press. Still bush. There’s a button.😂

19 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I know your unhappy but maybe not look to endlessly look for fault.

I’m familiar with his unhappy as well. 13 years’ll do that to some folk.

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I will rephrase then. I do not believe that Kevyn Adams went into this process with an unbiased look at the potential candidates and that he gave equal consideration to 10 or more coaching candidates. I think he went into this thinking about Ruff and he hired Ruff. He probably talked to a few others just in case Ruff said no but judging by all that has been said over the last week, Ruff was the first choice from the outset. I don't like Adams pretending that he seriously did this and seriously considered others. He didn't, and the double digit line came off to me as a deliberate attempt at ass covering for him and terry. I think there is ample evidence that the team is tuned into what fans are saying. Terry wanted Ruff and KA got Ruff. That's fine but I don't believe him when he acts as though he interviewed all these people and Ruff was simply the best choice. It is very clear that Ruff was the first choice, hence why Adams keeps saying "came back to what Lindy said" because Lindy was the first one they wanted and talked too. 

Make that one change and you nailed it.

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

"I love analytics, we were a huge analytics club in NJ."  Talks about analytics knowledgably and mentions xgf, zone entries and exits, talks about players not being placed together if they have bad results. Calls it a tool he likes to use but also has to pass the eye test. 

Didn’t he get let go from NJ?

18 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

FWIW Terry said Lindy was "released" in 2013. Perhaps a softer word choice than fired but ofc I read more into it.

I don't think LR wanted any part of what was to come and was given a blue and gold parachute.

Always found it so odd Lindy was afforded a farewell presser in the arena.

Maybe this was the plan all along.😂

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

I mean the reasons why are obvious, but I thought Lindy came across as kinda old.

Not as quick, not so much a force of nature.

I’ve felt that way for a while now.

18 hours ago, Mango said:

I think the ineptitude of Terry Pegula makes Lindy a good candidate for this team. This team is dysfunctional at the owner and GM level. More than a coach we need somebody with the trust of the owner to separate him from hockey meetings. 

Berube and Gallant may be better coaches, but they would but heads with the organization dysfunction just like every other person who has come into the KBC. 

I am not psyched about Lindy the coach. I am psyched because he might literally be the only person on the planet to provide a long term solution to the biggest plague for the Sabres and that is Pegula. 

EDIT: Other orgs don't have to save the on ice product from ownership. The Sabres do. So while this may not solve coaching, it could very well solve for ownership. 

Great post.

16 hours ago, ... said:

Of course, Power should not be here to be challenged (he is the trade centerpiece to upgrade the forward group). If he is, though, I, too, will be interested to see the result - it may be Power's only hope.

I disagree. Lindy’s style was always 5 men in, 5 men back, with a goalie that can withstand all the odd man rushes that that gives up. If Power contributes to the offense in any way that is meaningful, it will be way more beneficial to the team than any added defense he could add.

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not really about your post, but it reminded me of a couple earlier posts that I lost in the shuffle.

One was about the Sabres needing a get-the-puck-out-of-our-zone defenceman and the other was about what does Owen Power do really well.

Once Owen Power gets the puck on his stick in the defensive zone, he moves it up-ice about as well as any Sabre I’ve ever seen: calmly, to a teammate, and in a way that allows that teammate to make a play.

He usually makes it look so easy that it may be perceived as unremarkable, but the frequency with which it happens compared to most is anything but.

Wasn’t there a chart showing that he’s actually the best at it?

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, PotentPowerPlay21 said:

Lindy Ruff from 1999 had fire in his belly. Fast forward to 2024 and I don't see it anymore. My guess is that in three years, Ruff won't be coaching anymore. I hope it works out for the best, but today I'm skeptical. Time will tell.

This is an introductory press conference in April.  While he was much more mellow than I remember, thinking that may change come October. 

Wasn’t my first choice but they’ve been a train wreck since he last left.  He’s had previous success here and elsewhere in the league.  Hope it’s the right move.  Watching Donnie’s team get scored on in the first 5 min of every game and then seeing his sad demeanour and lack of communication on the bench was not working and I’m so glad were not running that back again.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, inkman said:

I like the kid as much as anyone but if he can fetch a cost controlled top line player, I’m willing to listen. 

Have to agree. He makes a great first pass and therefore starts off plays well, but if he could be moved for a guy who’s stand-out skill is ending them, it’s a demonstrably more impactful contribution. Particularly because of our strength at D. If you trust Byram.

And I kind of don’t - so it would have to be a a player with equal upside to Power, just at forward. Probably very unlikely we’ll see that type of deal. Which is fine - Power is going to be very good 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Thus the left channel only. They gave the right to the press. Still bush. There’s a button.😂

I’m familiar with his unhappy as well. 13 years’ll do that to some folk.

Make that one change and you nailed it.

Didn’t he get let go from NJ?

Maybe this was the plan all along.😂

I’ve felt that way for a while now.

Great post.

I disagree. Lindy’s style was always 5 men in, 5 men back, with a goalie that can withstand all the odd man rushes that that gives up. If Power contributes to the offense in any way that is meaningful, it will be way more beneficial to the team than any added defense he could add.

Wasn’t there a chart showing that he’s actually the best at it?

The Chart showed (If were talking about the same one) that he made the long stretch pass down the ice more successfully than just about anyone. Which was around 18% IIRC. 

14 hours ago, inkman said:

So Adams just laid there and took it.  I guess that’s how things work.  Your boss pays you millions, you better learn to be emasculated and embarrassed on the reg.  

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

Good 

He took it cause he has no choice. In his heart of hearts he knows it’s true.

tough titty 

Since nobody else mentioned it, Adams immediately said (while kissing his ass in many other ways) that Terry was wrong about 06.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

I just chalk it up to the way some people perceive the game.

Owen Power is very good at a lot of things. But he’s not that good at the thing that matters most to them and probably never will be.

And until the team wins they will hone in on that as a lightning rod for their anger.

Kid is good right now and when he’s a man, he’s going to be very good for a very long time.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Since nobody else mentioned it, Adams immediately said (while kissing his ass in many other ways) that Terry was wrong about 06.

I just chalk it up to the way some people perceive the game.

Owen Power is very good at a lot of things. But he’s not that good at the thing that matters most to them and probably never will be.

And until the team wins they will hone in on that as a lightning rod for their anger.

Kid is good right now and when he’s a man, he’s going to be very good for a very long time.

Add it to the list of things he’s been wrong about 

Adams, that is 

That Cup was going to be ours

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Would have been nice if the source I got the info from included that.  I suppose that’s the interwebs for ya. 

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Add it to the list of things he’s been wrong about 

Adams, that is 

That Cup was going to be ours

Meh. Not unless we got Pronger kicked out of the scf series as well.

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

Are these guys who are settled in Buffalo?

I know Tage and Dahlin have settled into homes there as well, but they seem to summer "back home".

Most have seemed to only be Buffalonians in the winter, although I suspect that changes as they grow up.

The players today make so much more money than on the past, they can live were they play and anywhere else that they like. 

Once they get married and have kids in school it changes and they tend to have their family in one place.  Buffalo is a good place for that.  Always was an still is.  Just get a winning tradition back and they will love it.  

Just now, Thorny said:

Your post put me in the mind of pondering the butterfly effect 

That Edmonton team was tough. They had Peca, Pronger,.. they were no sure thing for that Sabres team.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Have to agree. He makes a great first pass and therefore starts off plays well, but if he could be moved for a guy who’s stand-out skill is ending them, it’s a demonstrably more impactful contribution. Particularly because of our strength at D. If you trust Byram.

And I kind of don’t - so it would have to be a a player with equal upside to Power, just at forward. Probably very unlikely we’ll see that type of deal. Which is fine - Power is going to be very good 

Byram Dahlin

Power Joker

Muel  Clifton

Johnson Bryson

Still developing:  Novikov

Lines are through the most movable players.  

I would keep Power over Byram.  Byram will fetch much less in a trade but after listening to Lindy talk about how todays game is played you have to stick with Power.  They at least have to see what Lindy can do for him as a player.  They will probably keep both Power and Byram and let Lindy evaluate things. The Byram contract will be interesting.   Joker is a decent 3rd pair guy that plays 2nd pair on our team, this is a problem.  He can be moved. 

It is a matter of time before Bryson fades away but he can be 7/8 until then.  

I want a bigger and more physical, defense first guy in the top 4 to pair with Power.  Not gonna wait for Novikov, go get a guy now and give Novikov time to mature.  

Adams will need a complete mindset shift away from "no blockers" and "players that want to be here".  We can be a real team now. 

Win a lot of games and fill the house and players will want to be here again.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Meh. Not unless we got Pronger kicked out of the scf series as well.

I don't think we would of had an issue with Edmonton that year no matter how tough they were; that Sabres team weren't wallflowers and could certainly punch back while having two incredibly clutch centers in Drury and Briere. Now injuries are something we can't exactly allude to know how they would go down but if McKee could come back for the Finals; we'd of been in a slightly better position than Carolina had been. 

Just now, thewookie1 said:

I don't think we would of had an issue with Edmonton that year no matter how tough they were; that Sabres team weren't wallflowers and could certainly punch back while having two incredibly clutch centers in Drury and Briere. Now injuries are something we can't exactly allude to know how they would go down but if McKee could come back for the Finals; we'd of been in a slightly better position than Carolina had been. 

And yet we didn’t get past Carolina.

I love revisionist history. It’s always right and can’t be proven wrong. I include my take, as well. That is a good point about returning players, though. I still think the entire exercise is pointless.