Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

45 minutes ago, ... said:

Anyway, yes, Tinsel Adams® is definitely ©2024 @That Aud Smell.

I feel like Tinsel should be featured more on the team's social media. Then again, Tinsel's penchant for digging out and chewing on Lisa's running shoes (I'm referring to the Lisa who works in accounting) have made it difficult for Kevyn to bring the pooch to work.

Edited by That Aud Smell

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

Everything Pegula touches…

The irony is a well sought after potential hire once said Everything the Pegulas touch turns to ***** and the entire NHL knows it. 

With Arizona out, he has to rank 32nd out of the NHL owners in terms of who is most desirable to work for.

Luckily, Lindy is comfortable with coming back 

The search for Granato’s Replacement did start a few weeks before he was fired. I do believe Adams wanted to or at least thought about replacing him in season

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The irony is a well sought after potential hire once said Everything the Pegulas touch turns to ***** and the entire NHL knows it. 

With Arizona out, he has to rank 32nd out of the NHL owners in terms of who is most desirable to work for.

Luckily, Lindy is comfortable with coming back 

The search for Granato’s Replacement did start a few weeks before he was fired. I do believe Adams wanted to or at least thought about replacing him in season

Do you think his reputation is turning around a little bit? He stuck with Granato to the tune of the seventh most tenured coach in the NHL. The GM is going into year five. The arena upgrade process is starting. It appears his meddling has reduced (family situation contributed). He’s handing out long term contracts.  He’s only firing COO’s because they cannot keep it in their pants. Player facilities seem to be industry standard or better.  

While it isn’t a given that they’ll be a cap team this year…if they are, what are the complaints at this point?

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Like (+1) 1

Exclusive first look at Tinsel Adams.

Stunning landscape photos coming soon to the gift shop.

image.png.1433e3965a57b189aa204e789c5b6ef1.png

Exclusive first look at Tinsel Adams.

Stunning landscape photos coming soon to the gift shop.

image.png.1433e3965a57b189aa204e789c5b6ef1.png

• Haha (+1) 3

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I personally don't believe this. I think the expectation is playoffs (or at the very least competing down to the wire like Detroit did this year) and if they fail Adams will be fired and Ruff will be retained in a senior advisory capacity to help pick a new GM. After which he will either move on to that role fully or transition coach until the new GM hires a new coach. Just a guess but that's what I think would happen. 

Hopefully they make the playoffs instead. 

Lindy Ruff has never done that before or gone to college like Kevyn Adams has Lindy Ruff is a hockey coach that is it. I think if you are asking me to speculate what is going on. I believe from the sad news that came out yesterday about Kim Pegula that Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott of the Buffalo Bills on the Buffalo football side. For the Buffalo Sabres side Kevyn Adams and now Lindy Ruff on the Buffalo hockey side they are doing above and beyond because of what Terry Pegula and the family is going through but that is just speculation on my part because I really don’t know in my opinion. Go Sabres! Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 5/1/2024 at 12:48 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I would agree Adams is on the hot seat but you have to also take into account the players he's drafted. He gets a lot of good ones, including players like Peterka who he traded up to get. You can debate who is really responsible but it's Adams who takes the fall if they aren't good, right?

Meanwhile this came in my email today...

1.jpg

Nice letter and all but the only thing that matters is he wins. Sabres are at the point where these little PR things just don't matter.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Lindy Ruff has never done that before or gone to college like Kevyn Adams has Lindy Ruff is a hockey coach that is it. I think if you are asking me to speculate what is going on. I believe from the sad news that came out yesterday about Kim Pegula that Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott of the Buffalo Bills on the Buffalo football side. For the Buffalo Sabres side Kevyn Adams and now Lindy Ruff on the Buffalo hockey side they are doing above and beyond because of what Terry Pegula and the family is going through but that is just speculation on my part because I really don’t know in my opinion. Go Sabres! Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Nothing new was revealed about Kim Pegulas condition yesterday. Her daughter revealed the story last year. All team have a gm and a coach.

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Do you think his reputation is turning around a little bit? He stuck with Granato to the tune of the seventh most tenured coach in the NHL. The GM is going into year five. The arena upgrade process is starting. It appears his meddling has reduced (family situation contributed). He’s hanging out long term contracts.  He’s only firing COO’s because they cannot keep it in their pants. Player facilities seem to be industry standard or better.  

While it isn’t a given that they’ll be a cap team this year…if they are, what are the complaints at this point?

This comment was before Adams was hired. But I still believe the top end talent still believes this is a toxic situation. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

wtf does going to college have to do with anything? I'm saying that if Adams fails, I could see Lindy being moved into a senior advisory role for hockey matters to oversee picking new management. Part of the reason for that would in fact be because of Pegula having other concerns. He'd still get the final say but someone else would run a real search and help set a new reset and the likely guy would be Lindy. It's either a reboot or a sale imo at that point. 

If you are right and Adams is locked in regardless of success or failure, well, then the franchise and all of us are well and truly F%cked.

8 hours ago, Weave said:

I don’t have any strong emotions regarding KA pretty much lying to us, but it has altered my perception of him.  It’s hard for me to not see him as a bit of snake.

Maybe they all are.  No idea.  Don’t really care. I do know that what he says from here is not taken at face value any longer.  Transparency is no longer assumed from my chair.

His “oh gosh golly gee” personality has *always* been about messaging. He’s not that guy. He’s very calculated imo. Very cutthroat, even, when it comes to it. This was clear from the moment Adams was given the job principally because he was the one willing to fire a bunch of people from their jobs 

I don’t think that makes him a snake. It just makes him an NHL GM

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ... said:

Shall we then drop the discussion and discuss only things that doohickie cares about? WTF, how many times do you need to interject into an active conversation that you don't care about the topic of the conversation? Do you go to parties and tell people they're not partying correctly if they're doing something you don't like?

Fair put.  Guilty as charged.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

His “oh gosh golly gee” personality has *always* been about messaging. He’s not that guy. He’s very calculated imo. Very cutthroat, even, when it comes to it. This was clear from the moment Adams was given the job principally because he was the one willing to fire a bunch of people from their jobs 

I don’t think that makes him a snake. It just makes him an NHL GM

Good take, IMO - both parts.

I was one of those who wondered if he had the edge to be a successful GM.

The post-Botterill bloodletting, the Eichel patience, the Mittelstadt trade and the Granato firing - none of these things match the public persona. Adams is a competitive, aware, calculated and stubborn guy.

He had a plan, he stuck with it for 2 years and when year 3 showed the need for a course correction, he has started off with 2 significant moves. (Unless you think firing the coach and trading the leading scorer aren’t significant).

It’s not backbone or operational intelligence that will make or break him. He’s shown both.

It’s player evaluation and whether the calls he has made on the coach and the players he’s made big commitments to - Dahlin, Thompson, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Power, Samuelsson, Byram, UPL and Levi - were the right ones.

Because we have reached the point where his belief in that group has to start paying off.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Do you think his reputation is turning around a little bit? He stuck with Granato to the tune of the seventh most tenured coach in the NHL. The GM is going into year five. The arena upgrade process is starting. It appears his meddling has reduced (family situation contributed). He’s handing out long term contracts.  He’s only firing COO’s because they cannot keep it in their pants. Player facilities seem to be industry standard or better.  

Yes, he stuck with Granato for 3 years and Adams for 5 - but were they qualified NHL talent, or low cost placeholders running a below the cap team?       

The club has had ZERO on ice success despite having many good players pass through.

Attendance is now poor in what was once a hockey hotbed. 

Crowds routinely boo his on ice product. 

His GM told the media he did an extensive job search when he didn't, Lindy may be the right guy, but Adams hired an old friend and neighbor.  

There is probably less to complain about, Adams just may get this team out of the hole with the help of Ruff, but TP's reputation is well earned and won't change until there is higher performance that is both consistent and stable.  

I swear if Lindy leaves before we get into the playoffs I will never watch Sabres hockey again in my life.

This team is so awful I truly wonder why any of us are wasting a second of our lives thinking about it.

2 hours ago, seer775 said:

I swear if Lindy leaves before we get into the playoffs I will never watch Sabres hockey again in my life.

This team is so awful I truly wonder why any of us are wasting a second of our lives thinking about it.

Wondering how many people on here know 21 Buffalo Sabres teams finished with worse records than this year's team.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 5/2/2024 at 12:57 PM, Porous Five Hole said:

I do have reason to believe the NHL has placed pressure on the franchise to end the drought aka not being a bottom five team in spending. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I do have reason to believe the NHL has placed pressure on the franchise to end the drought aka not being a bottom five team in spending. 

Bettman: “Here’s a buyer for the team Terry.” 

Pegula: “No!” 

Bertman: “Alright but you need to hire a veteran coach now to get out of this mess or you’ll be selling whether you want to or not.” 

Pegula: “Fine. Lindy it is.” 

Kevyn Adams: “After a very thorough search, me and my team have decided to hire Lindy Ruff!”