Who will be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres?

Who will be the next coach of the Sabres?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach of the Sabres?

• Ruff
    • Appert
    • Gallant
    • Brind’amour
    • Other - NHL Rookie
    • Other - NHL re-tread

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Adams ass is on the line here. He even said this is the last coach he will hire if it doesn’t work out. 

Now is not the time for another first time coach who you hope works out.

Now is the time for a seasoned coach with a track record of success. Someone who can quickly put an effective system in place and has the respect of the players from the get go and can hold them accountable.

Peca is a promising assistant coach. He should have been moved up to the Sabres bench as an assistant this year. If he wants to be a head coach he will probably have to go down to the American League and run a bench for a couple years.

If Vegas lose in the first round I wouldn’t put it past that organization to can Cassidy. They don’t mess around.

I'm not so sure.  In most cases the GM would be probably on his last chance.  In most cases, fans, owners, even players would understand he is next.  But, there is a good chance things are different here.

Pegula is still the owner. He has shown (to me) over and over he is more concerned with having people in power around him that he is comfortable with. People who massage his ego, people who defend him, speak highly of him, people who will 'take the bullet' for him when things are rough while he hides in Florida or on his yacht.  Pegula to me will take a 'lesser' GM and give him more time if it is someone who tells him what he wants to hear.   

Adams is that guy. If Pegula makes a change, he may not get that.  I think that is why a coach will be let go before Adams. Pegula seemingly hand-picked Adams because he probably is a nice guy, a 'yes man'.  Pegula probably spends a LOT more time in contact with the GM (A GM he likes personally) so its harder to let that GM go than a coach, or even players.

Again, maybe if the Sabres don't make the playoffs Adams will be let go.  But I think it is far more likely that more trades would happen, more 'housecleaning' under the GM would occur, because Pegula simply will not hire a GM that will give him any kind of 'pushback' on making him feel good about himself.  Adams doesn't seem to do that.

• Like (+1) 1

I am not worried about hiring the coach that can "only" get the team to the playoffs, but never a serious contender.  Hire him, get this team back to respectable, and in 3 years if the team is stuck in neutral after a few playoff appearances, then make a change.  For now though, give me the experienced HC.  You pick...Gallant, Ruff, Berube, Boudreau, Boucher, etc..., and then give them the budget to bring in the best assistants possible.

Anyone without a successful NHL HC resume, need not apply.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

At the time, there were fans more educated than me who expressed misgivings with the pace and vibe of the practice where Skinner was mic'dup.

Turns out, they were right.

so comely.

A mini opening to express my view that a new coach should always come in with his own trainers, equipment people, medical staff etc. I am not convinced a part of the toxic, losing atmosphere with the Sabres doesn't reside in all those people who are in the ears of the players. I'd toss broadcasters, team media people, alumni in that mix.

Make a clean sweep, Berube.

• Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

A mini opening to express my view that a new coach should always come in with his own trainers, equipment people, medical staff etc. I am not convinced a part of the toxic, losing atmosphere with the Sabres doesn't reside in all those people who are in the ears of the players. I'd toss broadcasters, team media people, alumni in that mix.

I know your feelings on this. What you propose seems excessive, but there's merit to what you're saying.

• Disagree 1

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

I know your feelings on this. What you propose seems excessive, but there's merit to what you're saying.

There are some dudes behind that bench who give me pause. They seem like... Jackalopes. Jackaloupes in Canada.

Full disclosure... I will enjoy their antics the next time the Sabres clinch a playoff series.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Forgot St. Louis is looking for a coach too.

Buffalo, Ottawa, NJ, St Louis currently looking for a head coach.

I think we have better talent than all 3 of those teams overall. Not to mention a ton better prospect pool.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/18/2024 at 11:08 AM, irregularly irregular said:

Reading between the lines, it seems as though KA wanted to fire Granato during the season but Terry said no. Instead, KA had time to think about it and to make a plan. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but it doesn't give me a good feeling. All of Adam's previous plans have worked out so well after all. Maybe the added heat from his own job being on the line will be the catalyst needed to improve upon his previous decision making process. 

I got this as well, that non-hockey reasons were driving him not being fired in-season. And I’m actually OK with this. If he was fired Jan 1st, I’m not sure results would’ve been different. The damage had been mostly done. Plus, in all likelihood, Appert would’ve been named Interim. And if we went on a winning streak, then what? Most of the Interim coaches in recent Sabres memory shows they did well-enough to be handed the job. Would we have been satisfied knowing it would be Appert going forward? I’m glad we’ll be starting with a clean slate. 

17 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Amazing that almost half the teams in the league have switched coaches in the last year

in another post (i do not remember which one) - i posted a recent article on nhl HC shelf life - if i remember correctly - it is under 3 years. It is not a position you want if long term comfort is your number one priority. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You aren't listening/reading. Kevyn Adams set out his criteria and one of them was previous NHL head coach experience and NHL head coach playoff experience. The guys you listed do not meet the criteria the GM of the team set forth. The rest of this is irrelevent because again, the General Manager Keveyn Adams, set forth what he is looking for "NHL Head Coach Experience and NHL Head Coach Playoff Experience"

there was a follow up question immediately after if he meant NHL Head Coaching experience and the question was barely out of the reporters mouth before Adams responded "Yes". 

I am listening, you sound like my wife..lol  I did say that Adams is not looking for a Jon Cooper.

On 4/19/2024 at 8:04 AM, PASabreFan said:

I can't imagine an NHL coach would have any interest in, or have any influence on selecting broadcasters, media, trainers, equipment people, or medical staff. That sounds completely like fantasy land. Particularly medical staff. Coaches dedicate their time towards coaching duties. Exactly what expertise does a potential coach have in picking medical staff, other than none?

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I don’t remember hearing a post game presser like this the last couple years.😂

He’s got a Belichick thing going on. I didn’t know much about this guy before but now I’m all on board 

Edited by OverPowerYou
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

He’s got a Belichick thing going on. I didn’t know much about this guy before but now I’m all on board 

I thought the exact same thing as I started listening. What I found funny was that the reporters could see he was ready to cut loose so they kept feeding him the same type questions until he did. Entertainment value aside, I would love to know how he addressed those top players who he felt were not competing enough.

On 4/19/2024 at 11:02 AM, mjd1001 said:

I'm not so sure.  In most cases the GM would be probably on his last chance.  In most cases, fans, owners, even players would understand he is next.  But, there is a good chance things are different here.

Pegula is still the owner. He has shown (to me) over and over he is more concerned with having people in power around him that he is comfortable with. People who massage his ego, people who defend him, speak highly of him, people who will 'take the bullet' for him when things are rough while he hides in Florida or on his yacht.  Pegula to me will take a 'lesser' GM and give him more time if it is someone who tells him what he wants to hear.   

Adams is that guy. If Pegula makes a change, he may not get that.  I think that is why a coach will be let go before Adams. Pegula seemingly hand-picked Adams because he probably is a nice guy, a 'yes man'.  Pegula probably spends a LOT more time in contact with the GM (A GM he likes personally) so its harder to let that GM go than a coach, or even players.

Again, maybe if the Sabres don't make the playoffs Adams will be let go.  But I think it is far more likely that more trades would happen, more 'housecleaning' under the GM would occur, because Pegula simply will not hire a GM that will give him any kind of 'pushback' on making him feel good about himself.  Adams doesn't seem to do that.

I don’t know for sure what will happen, but it was Adams himself who hinted that this would probably be his last shot at hiring a coach if it doesn’t work out.

2 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

I can't imagine an NHL coach would have any interest in, or have any influence on selecting broadcasters, media, trainers, equipment people, or medical staff. That sounds completely like fantasy land. Particularly medical staff. Coaches dedicate their time towards coaching duties. Exactly what expertise does a potential coach have in picking medical staff, other than none?

Not to mention that trainers and equipment staff don’t make the sort of income where moving every 2-3 years is feasible. It would be hard to get good people for those jobs if stability and security was not a feature of the positions. 

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I don’t remember hearing a post game presser like this the last couple years.😂

I understand the sentiment, but here we are and Berube is looking for a job and the Blues are out of the playoffs. I will be very happy if we hire Berube or McLellan or Evason or any available veteran coach with a reputation for structure and holding players accountable. It is the one thing we have not tried, in the head coach role, since Ruff left. But it is worth noting that all the available veteran coaches that we are discussing are available because the same conclusion was made about them as was made about Granato: they were failing to get it done. 

On 4/19/2024 at 10:04 AM, PASabreFan said:

Frank Christie and Rip Simoniak would disagree.  Medical people knowing the players is a good thing. 

Could you imaging replacing Ted Darling and RJ because they fired Punch or Scotty Bowman?  

Mike Myers No GIF

9 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I understand the sentiment, but here we are and Berube is looking for a job and the Blues are out of the playoffs. I will be very happy if we hire Berube or McLellan or Evason or any available veteran coach with a reputation for structure and holding players accountable. It is the one thing we have not tried, in the head coach role, since Ruff left. But it is worth noting that all the available veteran coaches that we are discussing are available because the same conclusion was made about them as was made about Granato: they were failing to get it done. 

Pretty much every coach gets fired.  Berube wins a cup, eventually they can’t sign everyone, they make moves but the team weakens.  Coach gets fired to wake up the players. Happens all the time. 

• Agree 1

On 4/19/2024 at 11:15 AM, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

I think we have better talent than all 3 of those teams overall. Not to mention a ton better prospect pool.

Really?   The Devils were a playoff team and set a team record for points two season ago.  They just need a goalie 

The Blues have a winning tradition and sell out every game.  

Ottawa and Buffalo are about the same.  Buffalo has the Pegula factor which is not good.  

• Like (+1) 1