GDT: Devils @ Sabres - March 29, 2024, 7:00pm, MSG 📺, WGR 📻

LGR4GM

4 hours ago, Mango said:

Whenever Levi talks about his time in Rochester it is always "it was..." almost like it was temporary, a field trip, or beneath him. It is your team dude. I really like Levi, he is already one of my favorite guys in the system. But this has irked me on a few occasions. 

He does know he is going back down right?

I don't get any sense he feels it's beneath him to play in Rochester. He's been on the Sabres again for a week or two and is on the NHL team now, not with Rochester. Should he constantly refer to "when I go back to Rochester" or just say "it was great when I was there"? 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm way more positive about the team right now than most, but I worry about games like this vs New Jersey.

On one hand, a bounce-back game for the Sabres should not be out of the question.  But on the other hand, I think New Jersey might be one of the most talented teams in the league, like top 5.  They are having an awful year compared to expectations (probably worse than the Sabres), and Hughes and Hirschier (imo their 2 best players) have missed a lot of games and played hurt for a good portion of the rest of the year...and yes, Dougie Hamilton is stil out..but this team is got so much talent.  If/when they do put it together, they are scary. 

This is a team that had 112 points last year, at one point won 17 out of 19 games...and is 'almost' as young as the Sabres, were one game from the conference finals last year, and this season has been 'mostly derailed by injuries.

I do not like playing teams like New Jersey.

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don’t think I’d be worrying if the opponent was whoever’s first overall: we are at the point where we are just playing out the stretch, the results don’t matter 

I get it. Playing out the stretch for me, however, means the only reason I want to watch the games is to see a win on any given night.  I'm not thinking of playoff implications, all I care about is watching a win, and I think NJ is a team, when they finally get healthy is one that can embarass anyone.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I get it. Playing out the stretch for me, however, means the only reason I want to watch the games is to see a win on any given night.  I'm not thinking of playoff implications, all I care about is watching a win, and I think NJ is a team, when they finally get healthy is one that can embarass anyone.

Possibly.

For the record, I understand the somewhat hidden true subtext of your post was an implication that we, like New Jersey aren’t far off, but I can’t agree they are very analogous situations. Not least because, well, they made the playoffs last year. Step backs for a young team are common, it’s why I theorized last summer that I was worried our 91 points was the “ahead of schedule” thing and lo and behold: looks like it was

Actually making it last year puts them a great deal ahead until we actually finally do it. Speaking for myself, making it even once would go a LONG way. So much so that I’m saying next year it’s a strict necessity re: justifying an active following of the team

Edited by Thorny

41 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Possibly.

For the record, I understand the somewhat hidden true subtext of your post was an implication that we, like New Jersey aren’t far off, but I can’t agree they are very analogous situations. Not least because, well, they made the playoffs last year. Step backs for a young team are common, it’s why I theorized last summer that I was worried our 91 points was the “ahead of schedule” thing and lo and behold: looks like it was

Actually making it last year puts them a great deal ahead until we actually finally do it. Speaking for myself, making it even once would go a LONG way. So much so that I’m saying next year it’s a strict necessity re: justifying an active following of the team

You are right that I do not think the Sabres are that far off, but I also agree with you that, despite the Sabres being around the same place as NJ in the standings this year, I think the Devils are WAY ahead.  Their performance this year (New Jersey) gives me a little doubt...but I still think, they come back fully healthy to start the season next year and they are a 110+ point team next season. Even in the most optimistic scenario, one where most things fal into place nicely, I do not see that for the Sabres there. (despite how positive I am on their direction compared to many on the board)

The Sabres to me are a 'potential 95-100 point team' currently in an 85 point wrapper. The Devils are in that same 85 point wrapper, but inside is a 110 point team waiting to burst out.  You want to be a 110 point team next season?  2 things to me that make you think that is possible.  1.)  you were a 95-100 point team the year before.  2.)  You were already a 110+ point team in the presious 2-3 years with a similar (young) roster. The Devils have that 2nd one.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1