Do we have a single prospect that will be any good next year?

JoeSchmoe

I think there will be an opening for one of these guys. I would think Savoie has the inside track right now but playoffs and a summer to get stronger could give others a chance.

I want KA to not bank on any of these guys but if Savoie has a great camp he could get a top 9 role. Krebs is just not looking like a 3C so I hope KA gets a real one this summer. Savoie seems like a possible winger, that would be easier for him than C to break in.

5 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

if we're being completely honest with ourselves, will Rosen or Ostland ever be good enough to be contributors towards a successful Cup winning team? If they ever get a sniff in the NHL, I don't see them being any more than weak 3rd liners.

Hopefully they can be dealt for something of value this offseason.

And you know this how? None of us can predict at this stage how these young players will turn out - they're prospects. Either with our franchise or someone else.

43 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I think there will be an opening for one of these guys. I would think Savoie has the inside track right now but playoffs and a summer to get stronger could give others a chance.

I want KA to not bank on any of these guys but if Savoie has a great camp he could get a top 9 role. Krebs is just not looking like a 3C so I hope KA gets a real one this summer. Savoie seems like a possible winger, that would be easier for him than C to break in.

If Savoie is the best option we have we are in huge trouble. We aren’t going to get THAT much from a rookie 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

And you know this how? None of us can predict at this stage how these young players will turn out - they're prospects. Either with our franchise or someone else.

Did you read the initial post? 

Compare what those two have done to Quinn and Peterka at similar points in their careers. Realistically JJP and JQ would peak out as high 2nd liners or lower end 1st liners on a high end team. Rosen and Ostland are way back of what they did at similar points in their careers (Rosen is actually way worse given he's a year older than Ostland).

To boot both of them are smurfs... Too small to be effective checkers in the NHL if the whole scoring thing doesn't pan out.

Trade them.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

29 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I think I'd rather trade Savoie than Östlund imo, Savoie seems like a lesser version of Benson.

Savoie is leading the WHL in ppg. That's pretty hard to do even at his age.  If Ostland was bigger, I'd probably think about him some more, but from the cheap seats I'm sitting in, he's also just another Benson... possibly without as high of an offensive upside.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Savoie is leading the WHL in ppg. That's pretty hard to do even at his age.  If Ostland was bigger, I'd probably think about him some more, but from the cheap seats I'm sitting in, he's also just another Benson... possibly without as high of an offensive upside.

Plus Savoie had 5 points in 6 games in the AHL (Rochester Americans) which is impressive also. From what I've seen of Östlund in a small sample size, he looks to be in the same mold as Middlestadt with more playmaking ability but at 163 lbs. he really needs to start packing on some pounds for the NHL, I'm surprised nutritionists are getting with him to get him ready for the NHL but hockey has always been weird like that. He has 4 goals in his last 5 games in the SHL which is impressive since he's playing with grown men in those leagues. I don't know maybe trade Rosen and our 1st round pick for a top 6 winger to pair with Quinn and Thompson. Bury Skinner on the 3rd imo, that's where his play belongs imo.

• Haha (+1) 1

Its hard to get overly excited about any of them. We hear it every year. Its always about the future with this team. Never about the here and now. Never about the present. Thats what KA fails to realize. He could make it about the present. Stop keeping his job by using the promise of future success and get to work on making them great now. Thats how good gms create job security. Just f’n win now.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

If Savoie is the best option we have we are in huge trouble. We aren’t going to get THAT much from a rookie 

The title of this thread says it all.

I doubt anyone can come in and have a real impact. Levi could but he may be better served with another AHL season. KA may count on him to make it but he should pursue a good backup.

Ryan J. is another that can play regularly, but he’s not a game breaker, just a 6-7 Dman. 
I think Novikov and Komarov are good prospects but are not ready for NHL duty.

Savoie, Kulich and Rosen will be given a look at a top 9 slot and they need to step up a notch to take it.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

For having constant top 10 picks, the pipeline is actually scary bad. 

Not really.   But most prospects are drafted at 18, so add 3-4 years to most of them to be ready to get a look.  

A big problem with Adams build from within pipeline is it takes 3 years of good drafting just to build one, and 3 more years to prime the pump with ready players.  Adam’s declaration of “no blockers” is holding the team and the current Core players back.  We keep bringing in 18 to 20 year olds. We keep losing 24-25 year olds (Eichel, Reinhart, Montour, Ulmark, Mitts).  He adds vet that are past prime, and/or tweener-Jags, with only a few exceptions.  

Big contracts to young players might be another issue down the road if these guys don’t keep improving. 

I think he had things turning around but then he failed to get a goalie for last season.  This past offseason was not productive either and the team has not improved.  Thinking Levi could make the jump was a big miss.  Expecting straight line continuous growth from Tage, Dahlin, Power, and Cozens was another miss.   UPL is saving Adams right now.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

I think kids are coming out of the draft way further into their progression these days and it is causing us to overvalue some of the pieces in the system. I expect one or two more skaters to make the roster, but I don't think they will be ready or make any big impact. 

Devon Levi is one of my favorite Sabres in a very very long time, but he still looks jumpy to me. I would like to get somebody else in the back up UPL for 24-25. 

College (olympic) sports at big time athletic departments are known for being a total meat grinder. They throw everything at these kids.  College coaches talk a lot about "development", but if you ask the National Team coaches they will tell you that there is very little development in big college programs. They wish they developed athletes because they don't have the skill needed to compete internationally. It is just survival, and a lot of those kids pick up a ton of bad habits just trying to get by and are burnt out by the time they decide that they want to go to the Olympics/World Championships. 

After seeing UPL playing at a 67 game pace this year, Dahlin at 30 minutes, and the rushing of Levi, the "kid line", I am not sure the Sabres are a developmental team. I think they may be a meat grinder.

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think kids are coming out of the draft way further into their progression these days and it is causing us to overvalue some of the pieces in the system. I expect one or two more skaters to make the roster, but I don't think they will be ready or make any big impact. 

Devon Levi is one of my favorite Sabres in a very very long time, but he still looks jumpy to me. I would like to get somebody else in the back up UPL for 24-25. 

College (olympic) sports at big time athletic departments are known for being a total meat grinder. They throw everything at these kids.  College coaches talk a lot about "development", but if you ask the National Team coaches they will tell you that there is very little development in big college programs. They wish they developed athletes because they don't have the skill needed to compete internationally. It is just survival, and a lot of those kids pick up a ton of bad habits just trying to get by and are burnt out by the time they decide that they want to go to the Olympics/World Championships. 

After seeing UPL playing at a 67 game pace this year, Dahlin at 30 minutes, and the rushing of Levi, the "kid line", I am not sure the Sabres are a developmental team. I think they may be a meat grinder.

I don't see it (refer to the bolded).  Maybe people some think it.  From the last draft only 4 players have any NHL games, one being 13th pick Benson.  The other three were the top 3 players drafted, and all playing on very bad teams.   

Most players are not ready at 18, 19, 20, 21.  Some are, but they are unusual.  It helps to bring them into a solid cast and system, which we do NOT have.  

Sam Reinhart was drafted 2nd overall and was sent back to juniors after a 9 game look.   When he came up it was his draft year +1, he did ok but lacked the physical game.  He started to get that part of his game at 23-24.  Now he is 27, 6'2", 195 lbs, and closing in on 50 goals - playing on a strong team.  

What makes anyone think that Savoie (20), Kulich (19), Rosen (21) and Östlund (20) are going to fair better than Sam Reinhart?  We should not be rushing them.  

Next off season Adams needs to break his pattern and bring in some players in their prime years to fill the gaps while the prospects develop at the proper level.  

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

What makes anyone think that Savoie (20), Kulich (19), Rosen (21) and Östlund (20) are going to fair better than Sam Reinhart?  We should not be rushing them.  

Next off season Adams needs to break his pattern and bring in some players in their prime years to fill the gaps while the prospects develop at the proper level.  

Without question, not all 4 of these guys aren't legit NHL players, and even if they were there's not spots for all of them. Trade them along with picks for legit NHL players.

• Disagree 1

21 hours ago, Weave said:

The question was, are any of them going to be any good?

Magic 8 Ball GIF by Jim Gaffigan

I think Savoie and Östlund will be Sabres soon.  Probably good ones.  I also think Neuchev and Novikov may be over taking Kulich and Rosen on the depth chart. (I realize Novikov is a D but he’s emerged as a top level D prospect) Neuchev’s speed and lateral quickness are something the Sabres don’t have.  He’s Afinogenov lite. Not quite as fast or quick but he’s way faster than anyone they currently ice.  We know pace of play is a problem with Buffalo.  Victor’s path to Buffalo may be short as he has what they need.  

Edited by inkman
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Nope. Adams said it himself. They are going with the kids. Got to save money. Results be damned.

I’ll bet they are within $3 mill of the cap next season 

53 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Without question, not all 4 of these guys aren't legit NHL players, and even if they were there's not spots for all of them. Trade them along with picks for legit NHL players.

Well, they need a dance partner.  It would take a team either over the cap or ready to move on from the player.  

• Disagree 1

I can't see anyone of them to take place on a Sabres roster next year, and there is no need to rush either. The holes we have should be filled with UFA:s or trades. But if a prospect is ready to take a spot at camp it would be great. Meaning if someone can show a good mature twoway play they should get a spot at the fourth line.

14 minutes ago, SabreFinn said:

I can't see anyone of them to take place on a Sabres roster next year, and there is no need to rush either. The holes we have should be filled with UFA:s or trades. But if a prospect is ready to take a spot at camp it would be great. Meaning if someone can show a good mature twoway play they should get a spot at the fourth line.

I agree. Do you have confidence that we'll get someone via UFA or trade? The only guys Adams seems to be able to get are guys that hurt us more than they help us. 

Byram for Mitts is a net negative. Byram was a sub-50% expected goal % guy on one of the best teams in the league- which is pretty hard to do. Sure he looks flashy at times, but he makes up for it with poor defensive play. He can still get better... But at the moment he is who he is.

Mittelstadt on the other hand is a legit high end 2nd liner right now. I'm not surprised CO wanted him. We were just too cheap to pay him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2

With addition of Byrum the sabres are stacked at D even in pipeline... they have some talent at forward but nothing that is anything but hurry up and wait and see... 

With Muel coming back I could see Sabres trading one of the D for a forward... maybe Joker... makes sense... also which 3rd line tough with some skill might be a FA... Mitts? Havent looked at who is avail... I still say Sabres are a couple forwards away...

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

With addition of Byrum the sabres are stacked at D even in pipeline... they have some talent at forward but nothing that is anything but hurry up and wait and see... 

With Muel coming back I could see Sabres trading one of the D for a forward... maybe Joker... makes sense... also which 3rd line tough with some skill might be a FA... Mitts? Havent looked at who is avail... I still say Sabres are a couple forwards away...

Joki does seem like the odd man out but I’m wondering about Power.  With Byrum that is an awfully too heavy D with almost all offensive types.  I could see them flipping Power for a young power forward no pun intended.