Stanley Cup Finals Here We Come

OverPowerYou

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

Should we understand this?

Jilted fans are like women. They never forget anything, even an intonation.

So, yes.

Remember the old schoolyard taunt. If you can't say it you can't do it?

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Jilted fans are like women. They never forget anything, even an intonation.

So, yes.

Remember the old schoolyard taunt. If you can't say it you can't do it?

I still got nothin’. Sorry.

You didn’t really clear anything up for me.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Terry pronounced Stanley Cup in a way I had never heard. It made him sound like not a hockey guy.

But he was not a hockey guy.  He was a businessman.  The problem is that he didn’t hire the best hockey guys, and turn hockey operations over to them.  

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

But he was not a hockey guy.  He was a businessman.  The problem is that he didn’t hire the best hockey guys, and turn hockey operations over to them.  

He said he was a hockey guy that day. Thats the point.

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Terry pronounced Stanley Cup in a way I had never heard. It made him sound like not a hockey guy.

Gotcha. Going to have to go back and listen to that.

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Depends on if I want to sound like an old Canadian broadcaster or how I want to put the inflexion on it.

It’s

the stanley CUP

There’s only one Cup in hockey worth winning so emphasis on Stanley just seems wrong 

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s

the stanley CUP

There’s only one Cup in hockey worth winning so emphasis on Stanley just seems wrong 

Well Id say it with emphasis on both.

It's the STAN-ley CUP

There are many cups but only one Stanley Cup; especially in regards to all sports and even other hockey leagues

Also there could also be some degree of front loaded emphasis due to the longer name

Lord Stanley's Cup - in this form the emphasis is naturally placed on whose Cup versus Stanley's what?

20 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Well Id say it with emphasis on both.

It's the STAN-ley CUP

There are many cups but only one Stanley Cup; especially in regards to all sports and even other hockey leagues

Also there could also be some degree of front loaded emphasis due to the longer name

Lord Stanley's Cup - in this form the emphasis is naturally placed on whose Cup versus Stanley's what?

I still emphasize Cup in lord stanley’s Cup

No one says LORD stanley’s cup

none of this obviously matters I just agree with PA

There are lots of bays but people don’t usually say GREEN bay. They say green BAY. At least anecdotally from what I see on tv 

a game against TAMPA bay…a game against Tampa BAY. At least I personally say it with emphasis on the latter

good discussion for a distraction 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Depends on if I want to sound like an old Canadian broadcaster or how I want to put the inflexion on it.

Wasn’t it Harry Neale who once said that the closest to the Stanley Cup that a Canucks team was getting to was a sniff of Stan Smyl’s jock?

20 hours ago, Thorny said:

I still emphasize Cup in lord stanley’s Cup

No one says LORD stanley’s cup

none of this obviously matters I just agree with PA

There are lots of bays but people don’t usually say GREEN bay. They say green BAY. At least anecdotally from what I see on tv 

a game against TAMPA bay…a game against Tampa BAY. At least I personally say it with emphasis on the latter

good discussion for a distraction 

He also couldn't pick Bert out of a front row lineup and didn't know the Sabres were for sale after the Rigas Debacle.

The case has always been circumstantial. Got a conviction tho... Having Carol Jasen visit chambers didn't hurt.

Edited by PASabreFan